Author Topic: Snow and the cyclist  (Read 2751 times)

ZeroBike

Snow and the cyclist
« on: January 16, 2013, 07:44:26 pm »
So with the bad weather coming in to the UK, what do you guys do with regards to cycling when the weather is bad?

Do you try and brave the elements?
Do you use indoor trainers etc?
Do you just enjoy the rest?

jags

Re: Snow and the cyclist
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 08:01:16 pm »
used to do the turbo and weights but my son moved out and took the lot with him (Thank God)
no i dont brave it out , not any more find it hard to go out when it's lashing it down outside.
the rest is starting to crack me up big time i'm climbing up the bloody walls. ::)

i really need to change my thinking my wife tells me all the time that we live on an island so expect  weather she doesn't cycle so what does she know.
(hope she doesn't see that last line. ;D

Rockymountain

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 08:10:27 pm »
I've been spending more time in the pool doing some swimming. I also climb the walls if I can't get exercise. Having said that I'm heading out tomorrow come hell or high water (or snow or ice, as is more likely).

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 08:12:06 pm »
I have a gym but it's not the same as cycling. My favourite machine is a nordic strider. I listen to music and read on my iPad while walking mindlessly.

Andre Jute
How the mighty are fallen

Cambirder

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 08:20:24 pm »
I hate peddling but going nowhere, so unless it dangerous I will hit the road. Was hoping to do a 200k ride yesterday but iced up roads put the kibosh on that one and had to settle for a 60k loop later in the day, still pretty cold but with the right cloths its never too cold in the England.

brummie

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 09:01:02 pm »
Schwalbe Winter Marathons & keep to the quiet/traffic free routes.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 12:16:08 am »
I started practicing Iyengar-style yoga in 1978 and have kept it up since then, of course with plenty of ups and downs. Our teenager is on winter break after his first semester in college - made the Dean's List!!! - and somehow it has become his time to get introduced to yoga. Seems like about two classes a week at this point. We are very lucky to have a good teacher within walking distance - Woodstock is about as wonderful a place as there is and that is one reason why!

It snowed maybe five inches last night and the roads are a bit of a mess. I have Schwalbe Marathon Winter tires which would handle conditions like these without any trouble, but the local drivers are another matter. So it was great to be in yoga class this evening! Lots of three minute forward bends with a three minute headstand in the middle. Fun!

jags

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 10:48:08 pm »
3 minute head stand respect jim ,but tell me this what benifit is it to do stuff like that.
dont take me up wrong i'm not been a smart ass honest .

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 11:33:00 pm »
3 minute head stand

Yeah jags that is really the perfect question. I am just now reading a book Science of Yoga by William Broad that was published recently. I just finished a chapter where he shows that despite yoga people claiming that yoga has aerobic benefits that really isn't true. It sounds like later chapters will fill in some positives.

In general it would seem like any positive effects would be some combination of reducing the risk of bad stuff and increasing the chances of good stuff. In a way such a pose is just like a kind of isometric exercise, i.e. it builds muscle but also coordination, balance, postural awareness. Then a bit deeper it will help with circulating all kinds of fluids - blood, lymph, whatever. Maybe deeper yet there get to be interesting effects on sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system. Hey and it develops some mental concentration too!

I would say too that yoga is a system with many parts and head stand is just one part so another aspect is to see indirect benefits, i.e. head stand helps with some other yoga practice or pose which then itself has this or that direct benefit to health.

Here's an interview with the boss:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXJEzPGZqo8

jags

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 11:53:46 pm »
thanks for that jim  but listen i'm not going to try that i would twist myself inside out never to be seen again.man he can get himself into some shapes perfect body perfect mind but lifetime of practice. ::)

Andre Jute

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 02:03:10 am »
thanks for that jim  but listen i'm not going to try that i would twist myself inside out never to be seen again.man he can get himself into some shapes perfect body perfect mind but lifetime of practice. ::)

"Man's gotta know his limits." -- Dirty Harry Calaghan

"Mine are the lifetime of practice." -- Andre Jute