Author Topic: thinking of touring scotland next year.  (Read 6396 times)

jags

thinking of touring scotland next year.
« on: December 23, 2012, 02:59:40 pm »
Where in scotland is best to tour.
great scenery
not to many hills  ::)
no big citys
frindly campsites.
great roads.
that should cover most things, am i'm dreaming or will scotland fit the bill.

Matt2matt2002

Re: thinking of touring scotland next year.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 03:38:31 pm »
I am a West coast man myself.
Lots of folk miss out South West Scotland but it's a great part of the country.

I have done Arran Islay Mull and Skye
Great places but the ferries can be off in bad weather and muck up schedules.
SYHA are great places. The one on Arran is first class.

I did Fort William to Inverness and then Aberdeen. Last leg was a wee bit hilly - past the ski slopes  ;)

PM me if you need more details

Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

julk

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 04:06:32 pm »
Jags,
South West Scotland (near Dumfries) has the CTC KM Rally around the end of May over a long bank holiday weekend.
Good camping, roads, routes, company and evening meals in the local village hall.
Recommended.

There are quite a few hills though…
Julian.

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 04:53:02 pm »
jags - you probably have checked this out but a good place to start is the Tourist Authority site which has a cycling page ...

http://www.visitscotland.com/see-do/activities/cycling/

I am based in the Borders and the local tourist board has a free cycling guide that they can send you.

The local Borders web site for cycling is ...

http://www.visitscottishborders.com/WhatToSee/CyclingAndMtb/default.aspx

The Borders is very quiet and becoming popular for touring cyclists. There are several marked local and national bike routes through the area. The area is moorland and hills in the West slowly descending to farmland and the coast in the East. Roads are good and quiet. Some options ...

There is the marked Borders Loop (250 miles/402 km). Guide available for the route and to accommodation.

There is also the marked 4 Abbeys Cycle Route linking Melrose, Dryburgh, Kelso and Jedburgh (55 miles/88 km). Guide available.

Or you could cycle the length of the 89 miles/143 km River Tweed Cycleway to the sea - all downhill with a gentle descent. Guide also available.

This site is good too ...

http://www.cyclescottishborders.com/

Hope that helps. It's a beautiful area. Why not cross Southern Scotland from Dumfries and Galloway (also superb) and on through the Borders to the East Coast?

great scenery TICK
not to many hills  ::) TICK
no big citys TICK
frindly campsites TICK (and you can wild camp in many places under the Scottish Outdoor Access Code http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/)
great roads TICK

« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 05:20:29 pm by StuntPilot »

jags

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 05:10:48 pm »
Thanks lads i reckon scotland is a lot like ireland only more rugged and wild whick i love  ;)
i've been thinking about that KM rally this couple years  and i like the idea of a base camp 8)
stunt pilot thanks for the links i'll check them out as soon as my grand daughter gets off my lap she wants to watch micky mouse on the computer,guess whos gonna win this one. ;D

lewis noble

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 05:32:02 pm »
I did a circle from Resipole to Glenfinnan via Moidart, then down the east shore of Loch Shiel (forest road) then over a big hill down into Strontian.  Beautiful, but not a lot of accommodation en route.  The Loch Shiel - Strontian hill is steep and long, the other hills are not too bad.  A lovely ride.

bikepacker

• Bikepacker
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 02:08:19 pm »
Thanks lads i reckon scotland is a lot like ireland only more rugged and wild whick i love  ;)
i've been thinking about that KM rally this couple years  and i like the idea of a base camp 8)
stunt pilot thanks for the links i'll check them out as soon as my grand daughter gets off my lap she wants to watch micky mouse on the computer,guess whos gonna win this one. ;D

Sorry if I disapoint but the north of Scotland is nothing like any scenery I saw in Ireland. All the areas from the Trossacks north, are in my opinion, much nicer and grander. 
If you want to be happy learn to be alone without being lonely.
If you want to enjoy the world see it from the saddle of a bike.
If you want to experience beauty camp alone in a spectacular place.
If you want release your anxieties cease excuses and take actions.

jags

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 02:14:53 pm »
ah not one bit disappointed every where is different whats that saying
beauty is in the eye of the beholder  ;D ;D...
i'm never disappointed when i see other countrys especally if the sun is on my back my wee legs are  flying and the company is good ..

bikepacker

• Bikepacker
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 02:28:40 pm »
Your legs won't be flying if you go up the fantastic climb of Beadlach na Ba  http://www.scotlandinfo.eu/applecross-peninsula-and-bealach-na-ba.html
It makes the Healey Pass seem short and level.

Leg might fly on the way down though.

jags

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 02:34:13 pm »
Wow that is sure beautiful reckon it would be worth suffering.
ah if i got my act together loose a couple stone and another 5000 miles in my legs then there only hills.
bring it on.
should we ask you know who to come along  ;D ;D ;D

Fred A-M

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 03:49:54 pm »
My recommendation Jags would be to do Skye, South Harris, Lewis and the Western coast upwards from Ullapool to Cape Wrath.   If you do go to the Outer Hebrides, the Golden Road which goes around the entire coastline of South Harris is probably the most beautiful single day ride I've ever done, stunning contrasts of landscapes between east and west coasts, about 55 miles round trip to Tarbart, where I left my luggage for the day.   Would also highly recommend going from Portree in Skye around the Trotternish peninusula, the eastern side of which you can get the ferry to Tarbert.  The West coast is hilly however, but not too mountainous!

jags

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 04:25:41 pm »
Cheers Fred and happy christmas buddy.
Fred did you take photos of that trip ;)

bikepacker

• Bikepacker
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 04:28:11 pm »
My recommendation Jags would be to do Skye, South Harris, Lewis and the Western coast upwards from Ullapool to Cape Wrath.   If you do go to the Outer Hebrides, the Golden Road which goes around the entire coastline of South Harris is probably the most beautiful single day ride I've ever done, stunning contrasts of landscapes between east and west coasts, about 55 miles round trip to Tarbart, where I left my luggage for the day.   Would also highly recommend going from Portree in Skye around the Trotternish peninusula, the eastern side of which you can get the ferry to Tarbert.  The West coast is hilly however, but not too mountainous!

Whilst I agree the road around to Lochinver and Drumbeg are well worth doing, it would be a pity to miss out on Applecross Loop and Ardnamurchan Point.

bikepacker

• Bikepacker
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 04:29:28 pm »
should we ask you know who to come along  ;D ;D ;D

He would have a problem as there are no alternative roads or places where he could cheat.  ;) ;)

jags

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 04:59:33 pm »
He would have a problem as there are no alternative roads or places where he could cheat.  ;) ;)
payback time so  ;)
anyway do you lads have route marked on a map you could show me, it's all fine well telling me i should go here and there but these name places are all just names   to me  ::)
will it be a circluar route how many miles in total are there loads of campsites on those routes.
i know i know i should research this myself but i always find it much better to ask someone who done the tour. ;)