Author Topic: Electric Assist  (Read 2997 times)

dbray

Electric Assist
« on: March 10, 2011, 08:34:55 am »
Has anyone had any experience of adding electric assist to a Thorn. Any recommendations, or advice on things to avoid would be much appreciated.

sloe

Re: Electric Assist
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 09:09:53 pm »
Redcogs (sometime of these forums) has this on the front wheel of his Sport-Tour. He has one permanently weakened leg from an accident. It's pretty hilly where he lives. Forget the make of it, but he might pop in. It's gotr a big lump of lithium battery sits on the rack, let's him do a good 40 mile ride. Uses it a lot.

dbray

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 08:29:23 am »
That would be interesting as it's hilly where I live and I like the look of the Sport Tour.

sloe

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 01:23:09 pm »
I'll see if I can get him to look in. I know he's found it very reliable and easy to use.

redcogs

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 08:55:11 pm »
Hi dbray.  Sloe kindly alerted me to this thread.

My bikes the Sport Tour (mk1).  I have fitted an Alien electric kit (eBay).  It has a 250 watt moter, and a 36v lithium battery.  Although the battery is a bit heavy,  it sits on the supplied rack behind the saddle quite well, and doesn't disrupt the balance when moving.

With a mix of peddle and throttle (according to terrain) good distances can be achieved.  I use mine about four times a week on average, commonly doing 20 miles on hills and flats, with the battery still delivering power.

Highly recommended IMO, especially for those who have a disability of any type.

redcogs

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 09:42:31 pm »
Sorry, forgot to mention that there is a good forum dedicated to electric bikes, loads of worthwhile info/advice etc..  Go here:

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/

dbray

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 11:08:52 pm »
Many thanks. That's encouraging.

Do you use a twist throttle on the left, with the gear change on the right - or a thumb throttle?

redcogs

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 09:42:00 pm »
Yes, I have a thumb throttle on the left dbray - its on upside down, so that the thumb can press in its natural direction, thus avoiding strain!

popabear

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 04:30:42 am »
Has anyone had any experience of adding electric assist to a Thorn Tandem? My wife is suffering with a bad knee where as I can pedal for 2 on the flat and small inclines I need help on the hills as we live in the peak district. Any recommendations or advice on things to avoid would be much appreciated

sloe

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 11:12:01 pm »
I would guess an arrangement like what redcogs has got would do just as well on a tandem as a solo. If you can get a wheel-builder to lace it into a sufficiently strong front wheel that is. Have a look at the link he gives above.