Author Topic: Carbide Rims - Good? Bad? Ugly?  (Read 6590 times)

freddered

Carbide Rims - Good? Bad? Ugly?
« on: July 09, 2008, 03:14:55 pm »
Anyone used them yet?

I was considering getting one for the rear but don't want to spend more on brake blocks than the cost of a rim.

PH

Re: Carbide Rims - Good? Bad? Ugly?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 12:44:46 am »
Big plus from me, but you knew that already, so I won't repeat myself, except to say I think they make economic sense, but even if they didn't I'd buy them for the improved wet weather braking.  I now have three, after 8 months on a front 26" I didn't consider anything else when I needed a pair of 700c wheels.  Eventually all my bikes except the fair weather road bike will have these.   
Just to question your comment on brake pad costs - the recommended Swisstops are £15 a set (2 pairs) I normally pay around £5 a pair for standard pads or £7 a pair for Koolstops.  So there's not a huge difference unless you use really cheap pads and I've never found any of those I like.  The Swisstops also seem to be lasting well, though it’s hard to be sure as I’ve never recorded how often I’d normally change pads.

geocycle

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 09:17:13 am »
PH: how's the noise now they've bedded in? 

freddered

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 11:36:56 pm »
Yes PH, please repeat yourself.  I want to know everything about them

PH

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 12:26:43 am »
PH: how's the noise now they've bedded in? 

Eventually the noise stopped, somewhere around the 3,000 mile mark, really loud for the first 1,000 miles then getting gradually quieter. Now just get an occasional squeal if I brake hard and it's damp. The new 700c wheels haven't been so bad, though as that bike has different brakes (cantis rather than Vs) it's not a direct comparison.

Yes PH, please repeat yourself.  I want to know everything about them
A search brings up a few mentions, not all by me! Here’s my first;
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=1698.0

I can’t think of anything to add to that, to me they make the same sort of long term sense as buying a Rohloff did.  There’s a bit of a review here;
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/wheel-sets/product/ceramic-touring-wheels-31600

geocycle

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 04:04:00 pm »
I've had the carbide rims on for a few weeks now.  I'm very happy with them.  Wet weather braking is better, dry weather is comparable to my previous set up.  I've had no problems with noise since the first few miles.  I'm using these with avid ultimate v's and swiss stop blue pads.  The rims look pretty solid and the Marathons sit well on them. 

I posted (cost £8 for next day delivery) the rohloff to SJS who built it into the new rim.  They also supplied me with a Schmidt dynohub for the front which I've coveted for a while.  Wheelbuilding and service from SJS first class as usual.

lewis noble

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 09:06:33 pm »
I am very pleased with mine, only about 1,000 miles on them so far, but braking good and noise much reduced from the first few trips.  Not really an issue.  Brake wear heavy on the first set of pads, seems much reduced on the 2nd.

Lewis

geocycle

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 11:54:48 am »
Hi Lewis, do your rims have two 1-2mm drilled holes at the point the rim is joined.  I assume they are part of the manufacture but they are a bit puzzling.  I thin I'm going to fill them with silicone....

lewis noble

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 07:40:21 pm »
Hello geocycle - Bikes loaded up on campervan prior to setting off for Burgundy - I'll have a look when I get the chance!!

Best wishes

Lewis

PH

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 08:04:06 pm »
Hi Lewis, do your rims have two 1-2mm drilled holes at the point the rim is joined.  I assume they are part of the manufacture but they are a bit puzzling.  I thin I'm going to fill them with silicone....

I noticed these but didn't bother doing anything about them, there'll be as much chance of water getting in around the spokes as through these, though filling them would do no harm.
Oddly my 700c pair of Carbide Grizzlys don't seem to have any holes (unless they're under the larger stickers) and the join is harder to see.

pastafarian

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 03:25:08 pm »
I just ordered the rigida andra 30 rims for my upcoming Raven tour, much thanks to PH's comments. Will try to give some form of review once I've had the chance to try them out. There are not nearly as many online reviews for these rims as there are for Mavics or Sun Rhyno etc.

vik

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 04:05:06 am »
I was interested in these rims - longevity in a rim brake rim is a good thing, but it seems that having to use a specific type of brake pads is a problem if you are on a long tour and don't want to have to carry spares for your whole trip.

Do the pros of longevity out way the pro of a standard rim being suitable for use with any brake pad?

cheers,

Vik
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

PH

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 11:53:30 am »
I was interested in these rims - longevity in a rim brake rim is a good thing, but it seems that having to use a specific type of brake pads is a problem if you are on a long tour and don't want to have to carry spares for your whole trip.

Do the pros of longevity out way the pro of a standard rim being suitable for use with any brake pad?

cheers,

Vik

As well as the one rim on my Thorn, I also have a pair of 700c carbide rims.  They are usually on my tourer, which has the correct pads.  Sometimes I use the front one with a dynamo hub, on my work bike, if I know I'm going to have some long dark commutes in the week.  Sorry that's a long explanation to get to the point, which is;
My work bike has £1.99 a pair Wilko brake pads, they work as well as the Swisstops except they wear pretty fast, very fast if it's wet, they need daily checking.  On a long tour I'd take a spare set ot two, they're light enough, but if you do run out you're not going to be stuck.