Author Topic: Tyre Blowouts  (Read 3570 times)

stutho

• Administrator
Tyre Blowouts
« on: November 01, 2007, 01:28:39 pm »
Yesterday while on the way into work I experienced my 3rd blow out in 3 years!
  • 2 Years ago I had a wheel rim detach it self in an explosive way. (Damage to the wheel was spectacular about 1/3 of the rim was missing)
  • Last year I lost a brand new tire when the tyre bead detached it self (the shop I bought it from replaced the tyre FOC)
  • Yesterday the bead detached itself from a tyre that had about 6000miles (+/- 2000miles)

Ok so the first event is probably unrelated to the others but still 2 in 2 years?

The tyres I am using are GeaX Street Runner 26 X 1.25 on a 717 rim. Inflated to 80PSI (max pressure on this tyre / rim combo is 100psi).  The tyres seem well seated onto the rim, so what am I doing wrong?

I like the GeaX tyre – it is cheap, doesn’t easy puncture, light enough for my needs and wears very well.  However I am very dubious of buying another.  I will probably get a Panracer Pasela TA instead.

Any thoughts  

Fred A-M

Re: Tyre Blowouts
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 02:38:00 pm »
Stuart, how about the Schwalbe Marathon Racer?  Not so cheap mind you, about £25 a throw and I'm not sure whether they do them in 1.25.  Never ever had a problem with a Schwalbe thoughh.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 02:40:01 pm by Fred A-M »

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 04:05:00 pm »
Hi Fred - It was on my list, however after my last post I went out and bought a Pasela TA (non-folding) from a shop here in Swansea for £16.  Just hope I don't get any more problems.

It is a shame about the Geax tyre, the tread was in very good shape.  I wasn’t expecting to replace it any time soon.

freddered

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 03:16:12 pm »
Stuart, how about the Schwalbe Marathon Racer?  Not so cheap mind you, about £25 a throw and I'm not sure whether they do them in 1.25.  Never ever had a problem with a Schwalbe thoughh.

My Schwalbe Marathon 1.5" totally deformed a few weeks back. I've thrown it away now.  Just shows that even rugged tyres can malfunction

Fred A-M

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 08:08:44 pm »
Tyres, Ti brooks saddles, pitlocks all seem a little prone to breakage and makes me wonder how many spares I should be taking on travels. 

Off to the Picos again in 2 weeks, taking the RST but only 4 days cycling this time and sod all preparation for 5 X 1,500m climbs.  5Kg more body weight and 4Kg of camping gear into the bargain = a testing time methinks. 

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 10:45:56 am »
Carrying one spare folding spare in your group is probable a good plan if you are cycling in a remote spot.  Most of us wont get very far unicycling!   Repair boots wouldn't of helped me as it was the rim of the tyre that deformed.

My problems with tires are partly my own fault - my pressure gauge on my track pump was under reading by 10 to  15 psi.  Note however that that means I was STILL running under the max pressure for the tyres! (i.e. I was actually running the tyres at 90 to 95 PSI) 

I am still (foolishly) using a pair of these tyres.  Not on my main ride but on my backup bike.  Although they claim to be 26 X 1.25 they are much closer to 26 X 1.5. 

Ti Brooks - well yes mine did break (after 10,000+ miles).  Like I have said elsewhere I would not recommend it for super remote / world tours.  However inside Europe I would take it without hesitation.  FWIW when my saddle failed It failed in a manor that made it still usable I could of cycled a fair way with the saddle in its broken state.  I also think that  I could of rigged a field repair. Brook replaced the broken part FOC it was delivered within 24 hours of making the phone call even though the saddle was out of guarantee - service like that is to be commended. 

It is always hard to know where to stop with spares.  A few years back I was on holiday in Weymouth with an old Raleigh 3 speed which I had restored.  I happened loose a axle nut.  Do you think I could track down a shop that stocked a nut  for a Sturmey-Archer hub (it an odd thread).  Sitting In my shed (in south Wales) I had a spare - maybe next time I will put some wheel on my shed and tow it with me! 

« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 02:04:33 pm by stutho »

brummie

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 08:44:51 pm »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: Fred A-M on November 01, 2007, 02:38:00 PM
Stuart, how about the Schwalbe Marathon Racer?  Not so cheap mind you, about £25 a throw and I'm not sure whether they do them in 1.25.  Never ever had a problem with a Schwalbe thoughh.

I've been running Schwalbe Marathon Racer tyres for a couple of years now, covering a variety of road surfaces - they're begining to show some wear but I've yet to puncture - Worth every penny -Why skimp on cheap tyres?

peter jenkins

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 12:39:40 pm »
FWIW, I have run Geax Street Runners (26X1.25) inflated to 100lb for ages without any problems other than the usual and ifrequent punctures caused by sharp objects. I even like them enough to have replaced them with more of the same rather than experiment with another brand.

On the other hand I have been a great fan of Continental's 700c tyres, having run UltraGator Skins, GP 3000's, Top Touring and Contacts on 2 bikes over the years, but had no luck at all with their GP 4000's. Bought 2 and neither lasted 6 months. To be fair, they offered to replace them very cheaply if I could produce the receipt, but who keeps receipts for tyres?

I think it's the luck of the draw to some extent where tyres are concerned, but I can understand why you chose not to persevere with Street Runners. I haven't bought any more GP 4000's either, even though evryone I know who has them tells me they are the bee's knees.

Cheers,

pj