Author Topic: Rohloff & SON28 Disc and Dishless  (Read 3268 times)

John Nettles

Rohloff & SON28 Disc and Dishless
« on: February 10, 2011, 01:23:30 am »
I am getting ready to buy a bike.  While I am initially going with rim brakes (let's not go off topic about disc vs. rim wars please), I want to "future proof" for disc brakes.  However, I prefer dishless wheels for strength.  I have searched (search keywords: Rohloff, disc, dishless) a few forums for the answer to my question but could not find it anywhere.  I thought I  would ask you guys my questions.

If you get a non-disc version for both a Rohloff EX hub and a SON28 front hub it is my understanding both wheels would be dishless.  Correct??

If you get a disc version for both a Rohloff EX hub and a SON28 front hub, are the wheels still dishless?

Thanks, John

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Rohloff & SON28 Disc and Dishless
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 04:01:38 am »
I don't know what the possibilities are exactly, or how Thorn manages them. But here is a snippet of discussion from Peter White on the Tout Terrain Silkroad:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/tout-terrain.asp

"Schmidt SON28S 36 hole ISO Disc (dynamo hub to power lights) Since the disc hub is dished, I think it makes sense to use more spokes. 32 is probably fine, but since 36 hubs and rims are available, and since dishing does weaken a wheel, why not make it as strong as possible?"

I think this snippet is in the third Silkroad configuration detailed there.

Those are really beautiful bikes. Let me see if I can ride my new Nomad MkII into the ground - how many times around the world will that take?! - and then I'll have a nice excuse to  try something different!

I've been in Zen meditation retreats where we chanted: "Desires are inexhaustible." I do believe that's true!

pdamm

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 05:38:42 am »
My SON front hub can take a disk brake and the front wheel is dished.  My Rohloff won’t take a disk so can’t comment with certainty about dishing for a Rohloff that can take a disk brake.

Peter

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 06:07:33 am »
s.
If you get a non-disc version for both a Rohloff EX hub and a SON28 front hub it is my understanding both wheels would be dishless.  Correct??

There's an addition option beside mechanical rim brakes or disc brakes of either persuasion. It hydraulic rim brakes, made by Magura. I have them on my Rohloff and SON wheels and they're superior to a disc brake in many respects, not least controllability allowing you a less tense ride on high-speed sections of the smaller roads. On a touring bike it is worth making everything as relaxed as possible, and that includes the brakes.

Andre Jute

John Nettles

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 04:13:41 pm »
I have done some further research and according to the North America Rohloff Tech Representative, all versions of Rohloff are dishless.

However, with the SON28, only the non-disc is dishless as others have mentioned.

Thanks for the comments that have been given!

John

Big_Jim

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 10:47:07 pm »
I've got both a disc version of the SON dynahub and the Rohloff.
Looking at the Rohloff first, I don't think the dish issue is a problem. My hub is on a mountain bike and after about 1000 miles of heavy duty off road use (I'm over 18 stone) it's still running straight and true. The wheel does have a slight dish (maybe 5mm) but I don't think its a problem.
As for the SON. I've had one on my road going mountain bike for about four years. Even though its doesn't have disc compatible forks I too wanted to "future proof" myself.  Yes the wheel is slightly dished, but again its only slight. Certainly its less than a normal mountain bike rear wheel and most of them survive for years. 
If you have the option for the SON, go for a 36 spoke version and it'll probably be stronger than the 32 spoke non disc version anyway.