Author Topic: Newly built Club Tour 555 S 2008  (Read 3313 times)

john28july

Newly built Club Tour 555 S 2008
« on: August 07, 2008, 07:47:14 pm »
At last Thorn have filled in the size gaps, which means I sold the one which was a little small for me! I now have two the better sized 555 S.

http://www.pbase.com/john28july/only_bikes
John.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 08:04:44 pm by john28july »

julk

Re: Newly built Club Tour 555 S 2008
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 08:23:12 pm »
Looks good.

Happy riding!

john28july

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 08:52:05 pm »
 ;D Thanks!
I simply disasembled the 533 sized bike. Sold the frame and purchased the 555 S frameset. Built it all back up in a day and rode it today. 25 miler but loads of stops for adjustments to gears, saddle position seatpost etc, but enjoyable.
I am supposed to have this one (well the one it replaced) as a Winter bike! But having two of them both of which are very nice the only edge to which is the better one, is the fact that the blue one has a Schmidt SON hub whereas the green one has a Shimano dynamo hub.
Mmm ........................must make some changes to the spec of the 'best' bike.
John.

geocycle

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 10:24:52 am »
Looks nice John, one question: how much difference is there between the SON and the Shimano dynamos?  Having both on very similar bikes you are in a good postion to judge.

john28july

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 10:49:16 am »
Looks nice John, one question: how much difference is there between the SON and the Shimano dynamos?  Having both on very similar bikes you are in a good postion to judge.

Thanks.
The Schmidt versus the Shimano? Well firstly price of course, then quality of finish but lastly the rolling difference.
Price is higher for Schmidt. Quality of finish is much higher for Schmidt. Rolling difference? Cannot tell at all!
I guess the last answer was what you wanted to hear? I have actually in the past, had both types fail so its horses for courses or indeed cost that tells in the end.
John.

rualexander

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 11:28:37 am »
I notice from your photo that you have your saddlebag fitted without any support frame, i.e. 'Bagman' or similar. How do you (or anyone else that does the same) find this works? Does the angle of the bag cause any problems with contacting the back of your legs while pedalling? I am Thinking of getting a Carradice bag but am put off by the extra cost of getting a support frame for it?
Lovely looking bike by the way.

john28july

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 04:05:11 pm »
I notice from your photo that you have your saddlebag fitted without any support frame, i.e. 'Bagman' or similar. How do you (or anyone else that does the same) find this works? Does the angle of the bag cause any problems with contacting the back of your legs while pedalling? I am Thinking of getting a Carradice bag but am put off by the extra cost of getting a support frame for it?
Lovely looking bike by the way.

Hello, I have one bike (Sherpa) which uses the Carradice SQR Clamp for a saddlebag. For the other bikes I just have the saddlebag attached via the Brooks saddle loops, and, yes the bag of my legs touches the saddlebag whilst riding. I do not take any notice of it. A saddlebag rest is really only required if on a bike without a rear rack (my opinion only).
John.