Author Topic: Coasts and castles  (Read 2565 times)

geocycle

Coasts and castles
« on: April 25, 2009, 08:58:00 pm »
Thought you might be interested in some pics of my ride from Newcastle to Edinburgh last week.  This was along sustrans ncr1: coasts and castles.  TRT excellent as usual.

Day 1 was Newcastle to Seahouses.  75 miles all fairly flat but some interesting coastal views and tracks along the dunes.  The first 15 miles were along the tyne and fairly urban, I used some of the paths and main roads when these got glass strewn. Good signposts.  Enjoyed the castles.

Day 2 Seahouses to Melrose 75 miles. More good tracks. The highlight was Lindisfarne and the tidal causeway. Then hard work into headwind.

Day 3 Melrose to Edinburgh 52 miles. Excellent ride through moorfoot hills and then time in Edinburgh. Best bargain was the shower for £3 at Waverly station.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 09:01:29 pm by geocycle »

PH

Re: Coasts and castles
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 06:28:08 pm »
Looks good.
I was hoping to do this later in the year, but the diary is already full and the holidays accounted for :'(  It'll have to be next year. 

geocycle

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 12:26:18 pm »
PH: Pity you can't get away this year. 

I really enjoyed the route.  It is very varied with different landscapes and riding on each day.  The first 30 miles out of newcastle is OK but obviously urban, for me it got better as I headed north.  In terms of riding C+C is easier than the cross country routes (PCW, C2C, W2W, reivers) so three days is comfortable.  The Moorfoot hills were a very pleasant suprise, nicely graded climbs then very long descent to Edinburgh.

pastafarian

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 08:03:08 pm »
Beautiful pictures, Geocycle. Thank you for posting them! Looks like you were in luck with the weather :)