Author Topic: swiss top pads.  (Read 2713 times)

beef

swiss top pads.
« on: September 04, 2010, 12:59:23 pm »
Hello all,

I have a question with regards to swiss pads for css rims.  Is it the case that they last as long on the css rims as normal pads on normal rims or do they last longer than normal pads would on normal rims??  The cost of the pads seems expensive if they are going to need to be replaced as regularly as normal pads.  Obviuosly the rims will go on for ever but the pads might be hard to get hold of in some bike shops.  Any thoughts would be appreciated,

Kind regards, beef  :)   

onmybike

Re: swiss top pads.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 02:12:14 pm »
My first set are at 17,000km and still going strong, which by my reckoning means they way outlast normal pads on normal rims. Piccy of the negligible rim wear at that distance here... http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/reviews/board/message/?o=RrzKj&thread_id=183714&v=D&page=1&nested=0

beef

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 02:44:53 pm »
thanks for the reply mate,  sounds like good investment to me.

il padrone

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 09:25:07 am »
I'm happy with the wear reports, but has anyone noticed a significant decline in braking in wet conditions?

It's getting cold and wet here in Aus now, and on two wet rides home I've noticed the braking in cold rain has some of the qualities of the good ol' chrome steel rims - disturbing! I know the CSS rims are much harder but thought the Swisstop pads were supposed to be good in wet weather. In a few weeks time I am planning to do a ride to the snow - up and down a mountain and I really don't want to have poor braking for the 16 kms of steep and likely snowy/wet descent.

Is there something to do to improve the brake power?

brummie

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 08:01:55 pm »
Yes, I've experienced some very inaffective braking in VERY wet conditions ( as discussed on this forum ) - I've been using some KoolStop pads supplied by SJS which in my experience are an improvement over the Swissstop at the expense of a slightly greater wear rate.