Author Topic: Thorn Raven with BB area creak. Solved with difficulty  (Read 3833 times)

gearoidmuar

Thorn Raven with BB area creak. Solved with difficulty
« on: June 02, 2010, 07:26:33 pm »
Having replaced BB for clunkiness, which it cured, I then noticed an increasing creak from BB area. Only present when pressing left pedal. Odd. Still present when standing so not saddle etc.
I suspected pedal.
Got home. Tightened left pedal, crank, reinstalled both with grease, replaced both; all to no avail. Tightened eccentric screws. No good.
Had tightened chainring bolts recently. Checked them again. Two slightly loose. End of problem.
This took me two hours in toto.
Bottom line. A left pedal creak can be due to loose chainring bolts. Didn't know that before. Would've assumed that both would creak.

wheezy

Re: Thorn Raven with BB area creak. Solved with difficulty
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 08:14:42 pm »
I have found this to be a recurring problem. The last time they started squeaking they were still tight, so I had to touch a drop of oil behind them.

The first time they played up I spent hours trying to cure what I thought was a creaking EBB (I have a Bushnell, rather than the Thorn bolted variety).

gearoidmuar

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 08:28:28 pm »
Was yours left pedal only, as well? ???

sbseven

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 09:29:31 pm »
My favourite "BB creak" has been a creaking front quick release lever. This has happened to me twice, on two different bikes. Both times, I've routinely removed the BB and refitted, only for the problem to remain. I accidently found the first creaking QR lever when I changed over to another set of wheels and all went quiet!

gearoidmuar

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 10:09:37 pm »
I've not seen that one but I've had a BB creak caused by loose front wheel spokes!

pdamm

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 02:47:45 am »
I have had one caused by loose front rack mounting bolts and another by a loose rear rack mounting bolts.

Peter

Wombat

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 10:31:49 am »
That's given me a few more things to check - I have an apparent BB creak that stops as soon as I pedal harder, and I've done the remove and grease pedals and left crank with no change.

wheezy

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 08:56:36 pm »
Was yours left pedal only, as well? ???

D'you know, now you come to mention it, I think it was!

Wombat

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 03:05:20 pm »
My apparent BB creak was also due to the front wheel QR - removed and replaced the wheel and the noise has gone.

Now, how can the front wheel make a noise only when pedalling and not at any other time?  ???

gearoidmuar

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 05:15:27 pm »
Are you sure it wasn't due to loose front spokes? I've had that.

farnorth

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 09:12:53 pm »
My BB has just been creaking for most of a 680 mile tour.  Exasperating.  It did stop for a day after heavy rain, but resumed again, presumably once things dried out.  I checked that the ring bolts, crank bolts, pedals were tight  Once I was home, I removed and replaced the ring, greasing the bolts and other contact points.  The problem seems to have gone away.  The creak was on the Right stroke.

Paulson

• My Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 02:25:38 pm »
for completeness please also see this thread which I need not have started had I read this one first!!!   :-[

http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=2650.msg12779#msg12779