Author Topic: Rides 2015 — add yours  (Read 88866 times)

Slammin Sammy

Re: Rides 2015 — add yours
« Reply #90 on: April 19, 2015, 08:31:22 pm »
Nice pics, Dave! But I had a weird phenomenon happen. Your pics were right side up in thumbnail, but upside down in full size! I'm using my iPad 4, same as always. This hasn't happened before.

Anyone get the same?

David Simpson

« Reply #91 on: April 19, 2015, 09:27:37 pm »
That's because you are in Australia.  :)

- Dave

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #92 on: April 19, 2015, 09:28:09 pm »
They look OK for me on my desktop. My partner has a Galaxy tablet - she was having trouble like that. Her "auto-rotate" was disabled somehow. You might poke around to check that switch setting.

David Simpson

« Reply #93 on: April 19, 2015, 09:31:04 pm »
Sorry for the bad joke, Sammy.  Yes, I get the same when I click on the title under the picture and the pictures are downloaded. (This is on my desktop computer.) When I click on the thumbnail, I get the larger image in-place, which is the correct orientation.

When I get a chance, I'll upload rotated versions of the pictures.

- Dave
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 10:03:12 pm by davidjsimpson »

jags

« Reply #94 on: April 19, 2015, 09:59:15 pm »
That's because you are in Australia.  :)

- Dave

;D ;D very good .

geocycle

« Reply #95 on: April 19, 2015, 10:15:34 pm »
Same problem here, thumbnails look great, full size are upside down! I'm on an iPad 2. Don't usually have this problem.

David Simpson

« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2015, 12:08:19 am »
I have uploaded the photos in the correct orientation.

- Dave

John Saxby

« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2015, 04:40:10 pm »
Hi all, 

You'll have gathered that we're a bit obsessed with the weather here in Canada ('cepting folks 'crost the Western Mountains, who regard it as largely a benign force -- 'least, that's what they tell us Easterners), so I'm happy to report that spring has at last appeared in Ottawa. In the past 10-12 days, I've made three rides -- two short rides in Ottawa and surrounds sandwiching a longer day ride, a 125-km loop south of the city along the Rideau River. The photos in the link below show the neighbourhood in early spring. (Well, it's "early spring" in climatic terms; it's about 3-4 weeks late on the calendar, and the usual signs of spring, like bird poo on the car, are scant. The Canada Geese in the photo beside the Ottawa River are part of a handful which have wintered here. I have no idea why they are so fat.)

Here's the link to the photos from the rides: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/aj28v82m6t319w9/AAB9EkGPSxi0sTPFk-smATsba?dl=0

The rides begin with a two-hour circuit of the city, along the Ottawa River on the Québec side, returning to the Ontario side downtown near Parliament, where the Rideau Canal locks step down to the Ottawa River, and then home along the Canal and through the Experimental Farm. (We're privileged to have a big, publicly-owned working farm in the middle of the city. Early in the 20th century, a researcher there discovered the Red Fife wheat cross which he named Marquis wheat. This anchored the grain economy of of the prairie provinces in the first half of the last century.)

A couple of days after my river ride within the city, I did a mid-week day ride south and west along the Rideau River, down to the countryside near David Simpson's relatives in Kemptville. There was a strong SW breeze on my quarter on a sunny cool day, and after an hour's ride took me beyond the suburban sprawl, I enjoyed quiet rural roads next to the river. I was looking forward to the south-westerly giving me a tailwind home after lunch, but the weather gods had other ideas. The Rideau makes a right-angle turn to the west about 25 kms south of Ottawa, and in late morning, I turned into what all-of-a-sudden was a very stiff northwester.  "Sunny and cool" became "sunny and cold", and I was glad I had my cross-country skiing jacket, lined rain booties, and fullfinger gloves :-(

The day turned into something of a slog, despite its beauty.  I spent about 80 of my 125-plus kms battling headwinds, sometimes strong enough that I was down into 6th gear on the Rohloff -- this, on flat ground!  (A photo shows that furry locals were indifferent to my struggles.)  I'd figured that I'd be on the road for about 7 hours or so, in the saddle for maybe 6 hours ... I reached home quite knackered a full 9 hours after setting out, sandwiches and snacks all hoovered up by mid-afternoon, and my two litres of water finished about half a kilometre from home. A long hot shower and a couple of cups of strong Yorkshire tea did the necessary restoration, however.

This past Wednesday, finally, I made my first ride of the year up into the Gatineau Hills across the river in West Québec.  There's a nice regular ride I take covering a loop of 55 - 75 kms. The day was more like November than April, cold, grey, wet and windy. Following Dan's review of the new-ish Rohloff "lightwave" shifter, I had installed one the day before, and wanted to try that out, so I ignored the cruddy weather, for a while at least.  As I climbed into the hills, the rain got a bit heavier, so I muttered, "Why choose to do this?" and decided to cut the loop short, stopping at the first summit and lookout, Pink Lake, about 20 kms from my home.  The last photos in the group show the pallid colours of the countryside.

Osi the Raven worked well in throughout the different conditions of the rides -- no fuss or bother from brakes, lighting, chain, saddle, tires, fenders/mudflaps (all as expected), and the new shifter worked well. I took care to add a light coating of grease to the O-ring and the inside of the shifter tube, and gave the interface between cable pulley and Thorn T-bar a wee squirt of Boeshield T-9. I eased off the cable tension a bit as well. The result was an easier shift, and the slightly fatter new shifter fitted my hand and "doorknob" grip quite nicely as well.

In a couple of months' time, I'll post some photos of a forest road in the Gatineau Park, retracing a X-country skiing route from mid-Feb -- the contrast between mid-winter and mid-summer is dramatic.

Safe riding all,  John

Andre Jute

« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2015, 06:42:18 pm »
Good golly, this is almost better than being there! Thank you so much John.

Pity about some insensitive engineer putting up electricity pylons in the background of the clever sculpture of the boat. Or you could call it an aesthetic contrast (depends on whether the critic's mom knows the engineer's mom).

John Saxby

« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2015, 07:24:21 pm »
Thanks for your kind words, Andre.  About the only things that could be said for the pylons are (i) at least the electricity they carry is from a renewable source; and (ii) they're a modern reminder of the gritty/unpretty neighbourhood of the dam and the mills.  Glad you liked the boat--it's a nicely stylized reminder of the days of working boats on the river.

The Karsh brothers were brilliant photographers, working from their office the Château Laurier Hotel in Ottawa from the 1930s onwards. Yousuf is probably the better-known of the two, properly famous for his portraits -- Churchill and Hemingway owe their popular visual images to Karsh, for example.  Malak did some extraordinary work on the lumber trade in the Ottawa Valley, and his shot of the holding bay below Parliament used to grace the $1 bill, in the days a few decades back when we had such things (holding bays and $1 bills.) Have attached that famous image below. His photo, taken from the North bank of the river, includes a good silhouette of the Château, east (left) of the canal locks & the Parliamentary Library and Peace Tower on the hill to the right. And of course a working boat in the midst of it.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 07:31:03 pm by John Saxby »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #100 on: April 24, 2015, 07:42:04 pm »
Wonderful report, John; thanks. Really glad you were able to get out and about -- at last!

Glad the new shifter works nicely for you.  ;)

All the best,

Dan.

David Simpson

« Reply #101 on: April 24, 2015, 07:55:48 pm »
Great photos, John. I'm glad spring is finally appearing for you.

- Dave

jags

« Reply #102 on: April 24, 2015, 08:39:20 pm »
Big Country for sure .
Class photos pity im not 40 years youngerand the owner of a Thorn  and a pocket full of money i'de surly see the world.by bike of course.
great photos John thanks for posting.

jags.

Andre Jute

« Reply #103 on: April 24, 2015, 09:06:13 pm »
Have attached that famous image below. [Malak Karsh's] photo, taken from the North bank of the river, includes a good silhouette of the Château, east (left) of the canal locks & the Parliamentary Library and Peace Tower on the hill to the right. And of course a working boat in the midst of it.

I think you must be classed as A Useful Friend, John. One can get a curious education just going about with you (virtually) on your bike. The last person to mention Malak Karsh to me, before you, was Marshall McLuhan, sometime in the later 1960s.

John Saxby

« Reply #104 on: April 24, 2015, 10:09:12 pm »
Thanks, Andre.  I'm happy to be mentioned in the same breath as McLuhan.  (Pretty good for you, though: "Well y'know, when Marsh 'n' me were talking about People Taking Pictures, back in the day...")