Author Topic: carradice classic uplift  (Read 3327 times)

tyreon

carradice classic uplift
« on: February 01, 2017, 03:36:57 pm »
Ordered myself a new Carradice saddlebag classic uplift system: the sort that supports the bag underneath,but also elevates the the bag away from the mudguard. Hope all this is going to work out. I see SJS pic that the bag stands some 6 inches above saddle height. That's enough to clear the mudguard,but wotsabout getting my leg over!! Anyone here mounting t'other way round,flicking leg over the handlebar(s) to sit back on the saddle. I don't want to do myself a mishchief here! I'm not as mobile and tall as I was,now somewhat older. Complications!?!

jags

Re: carradice classic uplift
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 03:43:33 pm »
If you lean the bike towards you,bend you leg kness goes across the toptube first bobs your u cle.

macspud

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 06:29:56 pm »
As jags has said, leaning the bike over towards you makes getting the leg over much easier, either over the top tube or swinging leg over the seat. Swinging your leg over the handle bars is more likely to cause problems, getting foot tangled up and falling or having to drop the bike.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 09:09:58 pm »
I lean the bike towards me as well but I find I have to hop to get the bike upright again ::) :-[
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jags

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 09:37:07 pm »
Guess your carrying to much gear

rualexander

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 10:10:31 pm »
I use a Carradice Classic Uplift, I step over the top tube but don't lean the bike over, I dismount by swinging right leg forwards and over handlebars. I have long legs though.

jags

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 10:20:45 pm »
I'm a midget rual so got to be thinking all the time.pretty good bike handler tho.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 11:32:05 pm »
I step over the top tube but don't lean the bike over, I dismount by swinging right leg forwards and over handlebars.
This is the same way I dis/mount when I have a tallish load atop my back rack.

Works well.

All the best,

Dan.

geocycle

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 08:54:42 am »
A Carradice Classic Uplift sounds like a gymnastic procedure (or maybe underwear).  I suggest recommending it to the choreographers of the pommel and vault.

tyreon

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2017, 08:37:10 am »
Fitted,and looks a treat. No problems mounting as set up the uplift sits a tad back from the saddle so no sudden rise from the rear of the saddle. It supports the bag well,too: I woz a little worried the set up might make either end of the  longflap sag over the support. Not so.

As a PS have a colleague who has to mount his stead lent over towards him at a very severe angle thus making lateral clearance of the bike...awkward(to say the least). I suggested he might consider a step-thru,or consulting his GP but says he has no problems.