Author Topic: Cranks  (Read 4484 times)

janeh

Cranks
« on: May 22, 2012, 11:18:37 am »
Hello,

I have just had a new front chainset put on my bike. It appears to have 175mm cranks on it when I am sure mine had 170mm. Feels a bit different but I am not sure if this is because I know they are different. Will I notice the difference in the long term?

Jane

Andre Jute

Re: Cranks
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 02:30:07 pm »
Were me, I'd measure carefully, and if they are indeed longer cranks, take them back immediately and demand a like for like replacement. There's a reason that 170mm cranks have become the default on touring/comfort/commuting/utility/hacking bikes, and 175mm the de facto standard for the more strenuous but shorter rides of the off road set.

However, if you're taller than average, or have longer legs, or if you are young and fit, or most of your rides are too short to wear you out, it might be an idea to go on a longish ride to see how the new cranks stack up on the bike on your roads. It's probably not a particular worry on a Raven but longer cranks should be watched for ground clearance in tight turns with a high lean angle.

Andre Jute

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 04:31:52 pm »
Hi Jane,

Andre's right on-target here as usual, and it would be wise to return the cranks promptly if they feel wrong for you.

If one is a not-tall person, longer cranks can be problematic, as one ends up pedaling in proportionally larger circles than if one were taller/longer-legged.

Will I notice the difference in the long term?
Well, yes...you might well, especially if you are a spinner. Shorter cranks are better suited to those who prefer a fast, light pedaling cadence in lower gears, and longer cranks are better suited to those who are mashers, pedaling with a slower cadence in higher gears.

Perhaps this little story will help...

I participated as a research subject in a friend's doctoral research in kinesiology in 1980, where both I and the test rig were instrumented and I was asked to try for my highest cadence. I managed 300rpm in spurts on my familiar 170rpm cranks (the same as racer Tom Kellogg at the time, which had 20 year-old Danneaux walking on air for about 10 minutes, chest swelled with pride. The difference was, Tom could manage it repeatedly in competition, and I was good for about a minute on a test rig and was completely spent afterwards). We tried 165mm cranks and counter to expectations, I could only manage about 200rpm -- the circles felt too tight. We switched to 175mm and I topped-out at 160rpm...and it hurt. Felt like my joints would come apart. The last set of cranks was a huge 180mm, made by T/A. I did just over 100rpm and gave up after about 30 seconds, looking under the test rig for the remains of my kneecaps.

We never did figure out if it was the crank length alone or that and muscle-training/muscle-memory that made the difference (I voted for "and"). What I learned from it is there is there's only one crank-length that falls into my own personal "sweet-spot" for comfort, and that is 170mm. It makes enough difference to be a requirement. For whatever it's worth, I'm 180cm/71"/5'11" tall and spot-on the physical average for a male in my age cohort. I'm also a spinner who prefers riding at about 110-120rpm in lower gears (58-62 gear-inches are my favorite for level cruising), and came to cycling to rehab knees injured in a car accident. Everything works fine, so long as I spin my 170 cranks at high, light revs. Mess that up, and everything goes out the window.

Something to keep in mind if the new cranks feel "strange". They may simply be outside what you're used to, or they could mess up your game and possibly cause injury if they're outside the range you can adapt to.

Hope this helps,

Dan.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 07:53:54 pm by Danneaux »

janeh

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 08:15:35 pm »
Hello,

Thanks for the advice. Have established that the cranks on my bike were definately 170mm and the new ones are 175mm. The bike shop told me that 175mm are the standard for Deore and it would take them a week to get 170mm cranks. Have ordered some to arrive tomorrow and the bike shop are going to fit them. Hooray!

Jane

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 08:29:49 pm »
Have ordered some to arrive tomorrow and the bike shop are going to fit them. Hooray!
Hooray, indeed, Jane; so happy this is resolved for you!

I specified 170mm Deores on my Sherpa when it was being built (see http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3821.0;attach=892 for original, http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3821.0;attach=941 with the bash guard attached and color-matched 'rings).

Black or silver, they're an attractive crank and the moreso if they fit you!

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 08:34:25 pm by Danneaux »

janeh

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 08:59:12 pm »
Well actually it's double hooray, as when the cranks were put on the bike shop only had black ones, which I thought would be fine. Have now decided I don't like them so the new ones will be silver. I think the silver XT ones look super nice but not nice enough for me to splash out on them!

I suppose it was a bit naive of me to assume the shop would notice these small details. I felt like I was being fussy poiting out that they had to put deore stuff on it but now I realise I was not. It is difficult as they come out with all sorts of rubbish to cover the botch up.

macspud

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 09:49:45 am »
Hi Jane,

Andre's right on-target here as usual, and it would be wise to return the cranks promptly if they feel wrong for you.

If one is a not-tall person, longer cranks can be problematic, as one ends up pedaling in proportionally larger circles than if one were taller/longer-legged.
Well, yes...you might well, especially if you are a spinner. Shorter cranks are better suited to those who prefer a fast, light pedaling cadence in lower gears, and longer cranks are better suited to those who are mashers, pedaling with a slower cadence in higher gears.

Perhaps this little story will help...

I participated as a research subject in a friend's doctoral research in kinesiology in 1980, where both I and the test rig were instrumented and I was asked to try for my highest cadence. I managed 300rpm in spurts on my familiar 170rpm cranks (the same as racer Tom Kellogg at the time, which had 20 year-old Danneaux walking on air for about 10 minutes, chest swelled with pride. The difference was, Tom could manage it repeatedly in competition, and I was good for about a minute on a test rig and was completely spent afterwards). We tried 165mm cranks and counter to expectations, I could only manage about 200rpm -- the circles felt too tight. We switched to 175mm and I topped-out at 160rpm...and it hurt. Felt like my joints would come apart. The last set of cranks was a huge 180mm, made by T/A. I did just over 100rpm and gave up after about 30 seconds, looking under the test rig for the remains of my kneecaps.

We never did figure out if it was the crank length alone or that and muscle-training/muscle-memory that made the difference (I voted for "and"). What I learned from it is there is there's only one crank-length that falls into my own personal "sweet-spot" for comfort, and that is 170mm. It makes enough difference to be a requirement. For whatever it's worth, I'm 180cm/71"/5'11" tall and spot-on the physical average for a male in my age cohort. I'm also a spinner who prefers riding at about 110-120rpm in lower gears (58-62 gear-inches are my favorite for level cruising), and came to cycling to rehab knees injured in a car accident. Everything works fine, so long as I spin my 170 cranks at high, light revs. Mess that up, and everything goes out the window.

Something to keep in mind if the new cranks feel "strange". They may simply be outside what you're used to, or they could mess up your game and possibly cause injury if they're outside the range you can adapt to.

Hope this helps,

Dan.

Hello Dan,

When you were doing your cadence tests were the test done against a load or free spinning?

I ask as I have been planning on getting some Zinn Proportional Length Cranks with the ideal crank length in the range of 21% – 21.6% of your leg length.

Do your favoured 170mm cranks fit in this range?

When looking into Zinn Cranks I was interested to read this in the testimonials:

---------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the past week I’ve gotten into a rather intense discussion on a email list with Andy Coggan (and many others) about JC Martin’s study and various other studies on maximal power and crank length. The full discussion is on the “wattage list” here:

http://groups.google.com/group/wattage/browse_thread/thread/a74f988378ab5583/57df679d4b5f8305

The best is on the last couple of pages really.

In short there are some conclusions I’ve come to based on my experience and the data.

1. JC Martin’s study is correct, but only pertaining to his test environment. As such his “one size fits all” conclusion is incorrect. The problem with his test environment (among many) is his purely inertial load is no where even close to reality. In real world cycling you experience inertial AND resistive loads varying continuously depending on a number of variables. As such his test to full power with a purely inertial load is suspect.
In anycase, my experience is that the maximum power is in fact unaffected by me riding 200mm crank arms versus 175mm cranks arms.

*however*

I have experienced a roughly 10% average power increase in hill climbing and during accelerations in general. Which completely disagrees with the study and makes everyone upset when I share that. This is not the 14.28% increase I would assume it to be due to the 14.28% increase in power going from a 175mm crank arm to a 200mm crank arm.

2. I have noticed I prefer a *higher* rpm in the hills and a *lower* rpm at full speed/power on the 200s than with the 175s. This has puzzled me for a long time. However a Phil Martin (who is CC’d on this email) has finally shed some light on this with the following attached two graphs which he extrapolated from McDaniel (2002) “Determinants of metabolic cost during submaximal cycling”

He goes on to say the following about graph one:
“The graph attached may help explain the relationship of crank length, sunmaximal VO2 and PO. I used data from McDaniel (2002) “Determinants of metabolic cost during submaximal cycling” and converted the metabolic cost (watts) to VO2 as the VO2-power relationship is generally well understood. I used the data from figure 4. showing the metabolic cost of unloaded cycling and delta efficiency vs pedal speed.
I have used the two extreme measurements cited in the study.
Notice that longer cranks do reduce the slope of the relationship (12.9 ml O2/watt vs 10.7 ml O2/watt, 195mm, 100rpm vs 145mm, 40rpm respectively). However, the oxygen cost of cycling with no load increases with increasing crank length and cadence (i.e. the y-intercept). In this example the O2 cost of 0W cycling is ~4 times greater with longer cranks. Hence the linear relationships are quite similar. The lines start to splay apart at either end of the power output spectrum at around 0W and 500W which are both unrealistic for submaximal steady state cycling performance.”

He goes on to say the following about graph 2:

“This graph may be more pertinant to the discussion.

It uses the same McDaniel (2002) data except that I have extrapolated it for 200mm and 170mm cranks.
It compares two crank lengths (170mm vs 200mm) and two cadences (60rpm vs 120rpm) usually the lower and upper limits for most riders when cycling at a submaximal steady state effort.
There is a clear difference between cadences with the O2 cost of no load cycling about double for the higher cadence. However there is no difference between crank lengths as the slope of the lines are similar. Therefore 170mm cranks pedaled at a certain cadence over a range of 60-120rpm and power outputs has the same O2 cost as pedaling 200mm cranks over the same range. ”

This is the most revealing piece of information I’ve seen to date on the situation, and has led me to the following conclusion:

“I’m probably selecting the rpm that I feel the most efficient at for a given power output.
With a purely resistive load from a grade I’m more efficient at a
higher rpm on the 200s than the 175s, with a mostly resistive load
from wind ie 40mph, the opposite is true.
The chart would suggest I’m selecting the rpm efficiency based on the
O2 cost.  That’s the best description of the situation I’ve ever seen.
It it’s true it means Jim’s study (and Andy) are in error saying the
length does not really matter. Though it would seem they are correct
in saying the maximum power generated will always be similar. It also
means they are in error in suggesting gearing alone can make up for
crank arm length differences.
It also means my assumption of the power increase from mechanical
advantage is also in error, but my observation of average power
increase with higher or varying loads is correct. So the % increase
I’m observing at steady state is from improved efficiency, not mechanical (ergo the same max power).

The % increase I’m observing during shorter anaerobic bursts against a high resistive/inertial load

(such at the first 125m of a standing start sprint) is purely mechanical as I’m able to accelerate faster with the same strength.

So we could conclude the following:
Maximum power will remain unchanged. However, there will be an avg
power increase from more efficient use of strength and O2 with a
proportional crank arm. Short anerobic accelerations will be faster due to the mechanical advantage as well."

-------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously this was written by a tall person with about 37" long legs but should scale down.

Regards,

Iain.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 12:42:56 pm by macspud »

macspud

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 10:04:12 am »
Were me, I'd measure carefully, and if they are indeed longer cranks, take them back immediately and demand a like for like replacement. There's a reason that 170mm cranks have become the default on touring/comfort/commuting/utility/hacking bikes, and 175mm the de facto standard for the more strenuous but shorter rides of the off road set.

However, if you're taller than average, or have longer legs, or if you are young and fit, or most of your rides are too short to wear you out, it might be an idea to go on a longish ride to see how the new cranks stack up on the bike on your roads. It's probably not a particular worry on a Raven but longer cranks should be watched for ground clearance in tight turns with a high lean angle.

Andre Jute

Conversely if you are shorter than average you may need shorter cranks.

Iain.

JWestland

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 11:35:47 am »
Hi Ian,

Tx very thorough!

I have a fixie with 165 cranks, the thorn XTC came with 170 which for me (1.65) is probably a bit long per the charts.
However per Danneux description I am a "masher" so probably that's why so far they feel fine to me.

I haven't gone with very heavy luggage yet, but I tend to cycle super careful in corners so hope extra length won't get me.
Also, cycling fixed on the other bike...that teaches you NOT to lean. Never had pedal strike with it, but that means a fall, never fun.
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

macspud

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 12:23:32 pm »
I think that you definitely made the right decision in listening to Andre and Dan and returning the 175mm cranks to be replaced by like for like 170mm cranks.

As for fixies, not for me, they scare the daylights out of me. Some bad experiences with pedal strike when I tried one in my younger years. Not nice at all.

Regards,

Iain.

JWestland

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 04:19:00 pm »
The one I got (Charge Hob) is built for fixed eg higher bottom bracket than average. With long cranks on a lowish bike fixed not so good...

I am going 1 cm faster per hour every day and slow down in corners and no long steep hill yet, steady as she goes ;D
Great fun in slow traffic (mixed pedestrians/cyclists) and places with a lot of traffic lights.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 07:08:47 pm »
Hi Iain!

Just sat down at the computer and saw your questions about the kinesiology doctoral study I participated in so many years ago, where particular note was made of crank length and RPM and volumetric efficiency. Let's take your questions in turn...
When you were doing your cadence tests were the test done against a load or free spinning?
Kinda both. You see, Iain, the researcher was a friend at the time and he was interested in bicycles but not bike-mad as I was (am?), so I kind of got sucked into the whole thing (I was a willing lab rat who was burning with curiosity to quantify my physical abilities. Seemed like a fair trade).

The study had a number of methodological flaws and in the end, my participation and data were not included. They were excluded not because the data was bad, but because the methodological focus became more standardized and fortunately gained  more internal validity along the way.

At the time I was tested, Jim (the friend) was trying to modify what amounted to an exercise bike, and the bottom bracket was threaded oddly (Swiss, as I recall) so it could not take the cups needed for the BB spindle we needed that would be T/A compatible (the brand of crank available at the time with the greatest possible variations in length). The upshot of it was, I volunteered my bike sized for me and my rollers and my front wheel stand for the rollers, so the whole test rig was biased to uh, "me". The data couldn't be extrapolated to the rest of the test population, but it helped Jim hone in on the research design he needed for the full study.

At the time I came on-board, the study was woefully designed in light of today's research tools. He had no light markers or wire-frame analysis for positioning and position analysis. There was no measurement of power production except by interpolated fractional horsepower (such a gross measure as to be worthless). No watt-meter or joule or erg measurement.

My rollers had ("have" as I still own them) sealed bearings and 4.75in/12cm turned alu drums with adjustable sealed bearings and an add-on resistance device that consisted of a rubber-tired wheel with sealed bearings that can be cranked against the last drum to increase resistance. We couldn't figure out how to instrument the amount of drag produced, so we left the resistance wheel out of the equation and I only pedaled against the friction of the drums -- which we also had a terrible time standardizing and measuring. Unlike a flat ground plane, the drums presented a convex surface to the bike tire, and increased friction from tire belt and casing distortion (I've always found my rollers put a lot of wear on my tires in a short amount of time). Add in the friction of the adjustable sealed bearings and the rubber drive belt between the first and second of the three rollers, and that was pretty much the resistance I had to pedal against. Not a lot, but not nothing, either, and who knows how much? And, the front wheel was missing from my bike 'cos the fork was on the stand. There's no way I could have stayed centered on the rollers at those cadences, though there have been accomplished "roller-racers" in the past who managed to spin incredibly high cadences on rollers. I've read some of the accounts and seen old news footage and view them with a mix of awe and incredulity. My peak rpm was a short-lived thing, and at the time, I thought I'd be short-lived as well. It took a lot out of me. I was pretty astonished at the measured rpms.

I no longer have the VO2 Max results, but I know I was pulling a *lot* of air. At the time, I had exercise-induced asthma, and if the testing had not taken place in a warm room, I couldn't have done it. Cycling in cold air set me to wheezing and my oxygen uptake fell sharply in the outdoors winter months.

Anyway, Jim eventually settled on a different exercise bike as a test rig and he did eventually earn his PhD, but by that time I was no longer involved and I don't know the particulars of how the final testing was all set up. I'm glad it worked out, as the preliminary phase I was involved in had a number of methodological problems but was fun for me.

I ask as I have been planning on getting some Zinn Proportional Length Cranks with the ideal crank length in the range of 21% – 21.6% of your leg length...Do your favoured 170mm cranks fit in this range?
I don't see how they could, Iain, but so much depends on how leg length is measured for such recommendations. There's so many variables that have to be standardized. I stand 5ft11in/180.3cm tall, and I know my standover measurement for ordering Sherpa was 88cm/34.65in standing in my heelless Detto Pietro Art. 74 cycling shoes. That measurement effectively changes on the bike due to the cleat stack and orthotics and pelvic angle of approach depending on whether I am forward on my ischial tuberosities (sit bones) when on the drops or rocked back on the hoods or tops. Jim's study did find (my) pelvic rotation affected effective leg length by altering the location of the hip socket in relation to the pedal/crank at the bottom of its travel (BDC or Bottom Dead Center). There is also the problem of how much the rider prefers to have his/her knee bent at BDC, which is a function of saddle height and distance behind the BB. There's a dizzying array of variables to account for and standardize.

If we take my 88cm standover measurement (floor in cycling shoes to "hard points" at underside of pelvis at or near the pelvic sympysis), then according to Zinn's formula my cranks aren't long enough. If we take my measurements from the center of the hip joint, then the cranks are even more too-short according to his formula. At 21% of my 88cm, I "should" be running 18.5cm/185mm cranks. At 21.6%, I "should" be running 19cm/190mm cranks. And...I can't. The circles I would pedal are too large for me to comfortably manage. Cranks longer than 170mm make me "feel" as if I am pedaling too fast as well as "too large" and I just can't manage it. When I was young(er!) in those uni days, I could just manage it once, but had enough sense not to push it. Now, I wouldn't try. Maybe age (experience!) has left its mark, but I have found my personal "sweet spot" and won't leave it. I have often thought it might be nice to go with 175mm cranks to get a little more torque on the frequent climbs that are part and parcel of leaving my Willamette Valley on three sides, but...no. I got a nice set of Deore 175mm cranks in trade from a friend a few years ago, mounted them on the bike and...no. Uh-uh. Just can't manage it.

I'll be the first to say there's probably something going on besides the physical geometry of it all. Muscle-memory is a powerful thing, as are personal preferences and going with what "feels right". In fact, those might be the major factors for me. Especially so where I came to cycling as rehab for knees injured in a car accident in my high school years. I just don'wannah mess up my knees again, and I've found spinning fast and light on 170mm cranks actually helped my rehab, kept my knees healthy, and are the recipe for keeping them happy. If my knees are happy, so am I. It is entirely possible that with practice I could adapt and do pretty well, but if I have a ready solution, why try? I'm a happy camper and don't wanna harsh my mellow over it.

On a related topic, I thought my tread width (as it was called in the late 1890s-early 1900s) or Q-factor (as it was called by Grant Petersen in the early 1990s) or "distance my feet are apart" as I call it would be a huge factor in my cycling comfort, but -- amazingly to me -- it hasn't been a big deal. I've always set-up my bikes with the lowest possible Q-factor I could manage, but Sherpa has the widest effective Q measurement I've used and...non-issue. Sherpa's Q at the outer crank pedal face is 178.6mm. My Miyata 1000LT was 163.1mm. My other bikes (all with triple cranks) are at or near 158mm. I was sweating bullets over it and even thought I might "have" to swap-in my old drivetrain to the new bike but nah, it's fine. Quite a revelation to me. My handlebars are getting wider and wider over the years, as well. From 37cm at the tops of my old randonneurs at the brake hoods to around 44cm on the tandem and Sherpa. Of course, I "seem" to be getting wider as well. The guys in my family tend to do a "chest-expansion" thing as they get older and (weight gain aside), we get thicker through the chest and wider across the shoulders. Dunno why. Not supposed to still be growing at age 52 (FIFTY-TWO?!?  :o How'd *that* happen?!? I'm 19 inside...), but shirt sizes and chest measurements don't lie.

When riding the tandem with a small stoker, I often look back in horror at the lateral ankle-knee-hip articulation I see going on behind me. The smaller stoker is sitting atop a triple crank with 170mm arms *and* a crossover drive on the left side, making for an incredibly wide Q-factor. It is all aggravated by the angle of approach; the lower saddle increases the effective angles, making it all that much worse. Hmm. Perhaps this is a reason why I can't get tandem stokers (see: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4021.0 ).

In your comment to Jawine, you said...
As for fixies, not for me, they scare the daylights out of me. Some bad experiences with pedal strike when I tried one in my younger years. Not nice at all.
Oddly enough, I like 'em, but only so long as the BB is high enough to prevent pedal strike. Like you, Iain, I've managed to catch a pedal on occasion in the past, and it was a distinctly unpleasant and sphincter-squinching experience. I often ride "faux-fixed" in the early season to build some "souplesse" or suppleness in my legs. I just put the bike in a suitably low gear (58-62 gear-inches) and stay with it, not coasting and "pedaling-down" in rpms as my brakes go on to keep the simulation. Works wonders for getting the legs loosened and the revs back up where they belong for me (110-120rpm in such low gears is pretty standard for me at cruising speed. Remember: Gotta keep my knees happy).

Iain, as you may have figured by now, I'm mightily interested in things such as crank length and how they affect performance, so I'd be delighted if you drop a note at some time in future to let me know if you get the longer Zinn cranks and how they feel. Or better yet, a post on the list, so others could benefit. Great stuff! Thanks for the reposts/quotes and links.

Poor Jane's thread has grown well beyond her original question. Hope she comes out alright in the end. About getting the cranks put right, she said about the shop...
It is difficult as they come out with all sorts of rubbish to cover the botch up.
Shame on them; for shame! Best to own up and make it right as soon as the problem comes to light.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 08:36:41 pm by Danneaux »

martinf

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 09:00:53 pm »
About 20 years ago I fitted some short 150 mm cranks to one of my bikes because I didn't have any "normal" 170 mm cranks available. I had the 150 mm cranks as spares for my wife and daughters, who are much shorter than myself.

I'm a just under 6 feet tall, so according to the usual theories I should use 175 mm cranks or bigger. 

But I found I liked 150 mm better than 170 mm, and didn't notice any drop in performance. If anything, I can go slightly further and/or slightly faster than before. I just spin faster revs in a lower gear.

With 170 mm I used to sometimes get knee pain, not (so far) with 150 mm. So over the years I have converted all my bikes to 150 mm or 155 mm cranks.

Recumbent riders often use short cranks. The designer of the 8-freight cargo bike, Mike Burrows, is also a fan of short cranks:

http://www.ctc.org.uk/resources/Magazine/200801047.pdf

I don't necessarily believe any of the theory that says short cranks are better - I just use them because they feel better for me. They do have one other advantage, much better ground clearance off road.

A disadvantage is that if I broke one on tour I probably wouldn't be able to get a spare, but so far I have never broken a crank and short cranks are probably stronger anyway.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 09:27:06 pm »
...I don't necessarily believe any of the theory that says short cranks are better - I just use them because they feel better for me...
Hi Martin,

I think you've really nailed it here; smaller cranks simply feel better for you. Science aside, that's what really counts, I think, and why I wish cranks were more readily available in a larger array of sizes (such as the Zinn cranks referenced by Iain). If weren't "average" in physical dimension for my age group and were much taller or shorter, I would surely want something that felt comfortable. Thank goodness there's a few options still available out there to accommodate those who just aren't as comfortable on the usual offerings.

Some years ago, I restored a 1970 Motobecane U-frame folder for my father (photo). It has 155mm cottered steel cranks on a Thompson-design bottom bracket (a bit like Shimano HollowTech but without the Hollow and little of the Tech) and a S-A 3-speed IGH. Dad swears it feels "normal" to pedal. The bike is just a bit too small for me to ride even with the seatpost extended, but I have to say the cranks "felt" longer than they are in my brief test rides. I don't recall the gearing on it (chainring-cog combo), but it probably tops out around 68-72 gear-inches by guess.  A lot of European folders from the late-1960s through the 1970s had really short cranks. I'm not really sure why, as crank length wasn't a factor in the folding. Sometimes the BBs are low, but other times not (sometimes they're atop the lower hoop of the "U"). Maybe it was an effort to make the bikes appeal to the widest possible range of riders, from children to adults?
...if I broke one on tour I probably wouldn't be able to get a spare...
Oh, you should be good, Martin; as you've noted, quality cranks really don't break very often. Far better to have something that feels good and keeps you cycling happy.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 09:28:38 pm by Danneaux »

JWestland

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 09:56:23 am »
Oooh that's lovely restored and a very cute bike :)
Bit reminiscent of a Dawes Kingpin. Very hard to get those saddles these days, metal parts last, but the old style saddles not so much...

As for revs, that's another personal preference too no matter what science says: The fixie is 42/16 and I pedal as much as possible, but I found anything below 52/16 not optimal for me. It's like getting above a certain cadence on 42/16 just tires me, whereas the highest cadence in 42/16 is possible for me on 52/16.
And of course in 52/16 you get about 24% more for your pedaling as the same cadence  ;D

(hm more I think about it, the bigger the urge to get a cycle computer STOP ME NOW :)