Author Topic: Mercury or Nomad MK3 700c  (Read 15090 times)

JohnR

Re: Mercury or Nomad MK3 700c
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2023, 10:03:42 pm »
And a Nomad has popped up in the for sale section https://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=15024.0.

PH

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2023, 10:34:43 pm »
for me Mercury is fast, Nonad is more leisurely (which I love).
For me as well.  Though I'm reminded what Nomad's are capable of, even if that rider is now looking for something lighter.
https://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14998.msg113071#msg113071

mickeg

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2023, 03:57:23 am »
If you do get one Rohloff bike for all purposes, I use a 36T chainring and 16T sprocket for heavy touring on my Nomad Mk II.

But when I am riding that bike near home where the heaviest load might be a pannier of groceries, I want higher gearing.  For that I use a 44T chainring and add four chain links.  That gives me a low enough gear for hill climbing with a mostly unladen bike, but also higher gears for those shallow downhills where I want to maintain momentum.

Or more simply, if you want one bike to be a touring bike and also an audaxing bike, you might want two sets of gearing.

chipbury

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2023, 09:56:48 pm »
In January 2021 I ordered a Mk3 Mercury, however by March 2021 I was told it was no longer possible to fulfil the order.  I was led to believe that they were stopping production of the Mercury (if as suggested up thread they've not restocked since pre-pandemic maybe this is the case?).

Anyway I changed the order to a Mk3 Nomad which i've been very happy with.

JohnR

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2023, 10:33:54 pm »
In January 2021 I ordered a Mk3 Mercury, however by March 2021 I was told it was no longer possible to fulfil the order.  I was led to believe that they were stopping production of the Mercury (if as suggested up thread they've not restocked since pre-pandemic maybe this is the case?).
I think the problem was that the frame manufacturers were inundated by orders in response to the spike in demand triggered by covid. The same demand spike would have depleted Thorn's stock of frames faster than normal. Nonetheless the replenishment of Thorn's stock is taking longer than I would have expected.

Nichwell

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2023, 02:07:40 pm »
Yes, this seems to be the case. Sarah says they are out of stock of the mk3 with no plans to recorder. They do still have some of the older frames available that will just take 700 rather than 700/650b. Thanks again for the continued help/ideas.

Mike Ayling

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2023, 07:55:32 am »
Sarah says they are out of stock of the mk3 with no plans to recorder.

This suggests that there may no longer be a demand for the Mercury

Your thoughts?

PH

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2023, 09:54:54 am »
Sarah says they are out of stock of the mk3 with no plans to recorder.

This suggests that there may no longer be a demand for the Mercury

Your thoughts?
I doubt anyone outside of Thorn HQ knows all the facts and data. They are a successful business, so I think it's a safe bet they wouldn't drop it if it made business sense not to.  Maybe they think enough potential Mercury customers will accept a Nomad, I wouldn't be one of them, but we can see upthread some do.  There's also the cost, it's an indulgent frame, special order custom made tubes with a lot of manipulation, maybe it was no longer economically viable.
Whatever the reasons, I'm glad I have one!

PH

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2023, 10:01:58 am »
They do still have some of the older frames available that will just take 700 rather than 700/650b. Thanks again for the continued help/ideas.
I started out with the older model (Crashed & replaced with a Mk3) The differences are quite minor, the fitting for a caliper brake was dropped and the mini EBB replaced with a full throw one, as a result there's a bit more tyre clearance, I went from 35 to 40mm.
There may be some other differences I'm not aware of, I didn't notice any difference in the riding experience.

Pallium

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2023, 10:25:26 am »
Looking at their frame stock levels, I'd say that Thorn are getting out of the bike building business altogether. It seems to have coincided with Andy Blance's retirement.

Pallium

mickeg

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2023, 01:32:08 pm »
Looking at their frame stock levels, I'd say that Thorn are getting out of the bike building business altogether. It seems to have coincided with Andy Blance's retirement.

Pallium

When I saw the comment above that said "... out of stock of the mk3 with no plans to recorder.", I had the same thought but did not want to be the first one to say that.

SJS would be a viable business without the Thorn bike brand.

WorldTourer

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2023, 02:20:56 pm »
Sad news about the end of the Nomad. I just listened to an interviewed cyclist gush about how much choice people have today when buying a new frame: no matter what you need in terms of geometry, tire clearance, sliding dropouts/EBB, etc., there are now multiple companies offering a frame that is good for you. Some of those companies operate on economies of scale where frames can be much cheaper than Thorn’s. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was an unviable market for SJS.

Another thing I’ve repeatedly heard from UK cyclists who were familiar with SJS firsthand, is that the staff aside from Andy seemed to know little about long-haul bicycle travel in general, let alone the bikepacking developments that have made traditional touring bikes less attractive to younger consumers.

As I’ve said before here, I treasure my Nomad Mk3, but things move fast in the industry and a lot of riders I meet find Rohloff hubs superseded by Pinion gearboxes. (Two of the expedition cyclists that rode Nomads a decade ago and thus inspired me to do so, have retired or sold their Thorns and are riding Tout Terrains now.) If your company no longer has a frame designer, you can’t come up with something new to meet that demand.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 02:41:42 pm by WorldTourer »

JohnR

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2023, 08:22:04 pm »
I also have to wonder if Robin Thorn is starting to think of his exit strategy from the Thorn / SJS business. The business had over £2M of stock at the end of 2022 https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/04121096 and there could understandably be a reluctance to significantly add to that by replenishing the stock of Thorn bikes which are relatively slow moving parts. The products are durable (more than half the Thorn bikes currently on sale at https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/new-used-cycles-frames/) are used, which reduces the demand for new versions of the same.

PH

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2023, 05:05:31 pm »
Sad news about the end of the Nomad.
Did you mean the Mercury, or do you know something else?

PH

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2023, 05:10:37 pm »
(more than half the Thorn bikes currently on sale at https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/new-used-cycles-frames/) are used
That's not really a fair comparison, Thorn don't generally have bikes built ready for sale, they have frames ready to be built to spec and those outnumber secondhand bikes by a large margin.