Author Topic: Removing a chain link for EBB ?  (Read 1604 times)

swayzak

Removing a chain link for EBB ?
« on: November 26, 2013, 08:15:21 am »
Hi

I note in the Thorne owner manual that it mentions removing a link once the chain becomes too loose.

I have never had a bike shop that has done this - they have always said the chain would then be too tight, so I've had chain replaced.

Is this correct or are they telling porkies ?

Thanks

FrogPrince

• 60-something and loving it.
    • Cycle Somerset
Re: Removing a chain link for EBB ?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 09:48:02 am »
When i picked up my New Raven they showed me that the EBB was as far forward as it could go. This was a combination of my particular frame size and new chain. When the chain stretches enough to need adjusting the form is to move the EBB fully to the rear and remove a link in the chain which then gives the full adjustment in the EBB for the future. Then when the full extent of the adjustment of the EBB is then reached after several moves it's time to replace the chain.    I hope that makes sense.
Sell your Clothes but keep your thoughts.

geocycle

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 09:48:59 am »
It depends how much movement you have got in the the EBB, chainstay length, chain wheel and sprocket size.  I find that if I try and remove a link before the EBB has got to the maximum position then it will indeed be too tight.  If the chain is really worn and I have reached the limit of adjustment then removing a link works OK.  You could try a half link but I have not used these.

swayzak

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 09:55:06 am »
Thanks

They are a good shop, so I do actually believe them  ;)

I seem to recall they mentioned 1/2 links at one point.

I always wait until the chain falls off a couple of times (with EBB at maximum stretch point) before changing the chain.

Maybe it is just the combination of those factors you listed that makes link removal suboptimal for my particular Thorne ...

It's not like it costs the earth to replace the chain so not a big issue - was just curious.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 10:05:13 am »
Thanks

They are a good shop, so I do actually believe them  ;)

I seem to recall they mentioned 1/2 links at one point.

I always wait until the chain falls off a couple of times (with EBB at maximum stretch point) before changing the chain.

Maybe it is just the combination of those factors you listed that makes link removal suboptimal for my particular Thorne ...

It's not like it costs the earth to replace the chain so not a big issue - was just curious.

I had the chain fall,off my Raven coz it was slack. Folk here advised me how to take up the slack by adjusting the BB.
It has now gone very slack again ( after a month ) so perhaps the BB has moved. However I will,keep running it until the chain comes off again.
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink