Author Topic: Club Tour frames still available?  (Read 37854 times)

peter jenkins

Re: Club Tour frames still available?
« Reply #135 on: January 20, 2014, 11:31:43 am »
Have you connected rack and mudguards to the same eyelet or have you a Thorn rack which has eyelets for the mudguard?

Hi Steve,

Both are connected to the same eyelet. (Mudguard stays 'inside' the rack)

The good guys at SJS put it together exceedingly well and it's never given an ounce of bother. Actually, it wasn't until I saw Chris Juden's  review that I realised there were bikes with double eyelets. D'OH!

I have to say I'm looking forward to your first report after riding your new Club Tour.

Cheers,

pj

Swislon

« Reply #136 on: January 20, 2014, 11:46:16 am »
Thanks for the reply Peter.
There seem to be two solutions. Both in same eyelet or mudguard stays attached to the rack.

I will not be attaching a carrier straight away but wanted to understand the solutions.

I'm looking forward to the first ride myself but it will be a few weeks yet.

Cheers
Steve

bike_the_planet

« Reply #137 on: January 21, 2014, 06:53:47 am »
Hi Dan

The previous iteration of the Club Tour also [briefly] had a single eyelet, which was picked upon by Chris Juden in the infamous CTC review. I think the response was that this was a temporary aberration ... but here we are again ...

Jim

If memory serves,  the early CT, which was targeted as an entry-level tourer, and had inexpensive, double-eyeletted rear dropouts, but some of the dropouts failed. So in around 2004? Thorn went to the higher quality (Everest???) forged dropouts as fitted to their Sherpa series, but these only came with a single eyelet. Then in about 2010, the dropout manufacturer introduced a double-eyeletted, stainless-steel faced version which I have on my 2011 CT. This model also differed from the 2005 version by having beefier stays.

I'm guessing that future versions will get the second eyelet back at some point if the past is anything to go by!

Tonhy

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #138 on: January 21, 2014, 09:13:40 am »
I'm guessing that future versions will get the second eyelet back at some point if the past is anything to go by!

They won't, the dropouts the CT uses are our spec, not off the shelf ones.

Dave.

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #139 on: January 22, 2014, 03:21:34 pm »
Just built up the sample R&B frame for the brochures  ;D

Znook

• Me, Robbie!
« Reply #140 on: January 22, 2014, 03:24:09 pm »
That looks one sweet looking ride!
I'm here, there and everywhere.

leftpoole

« Reply #141 on: January 22, 2014, 04:37:59 pm »
Looks really Nice!

Swislon

« Reply #142 on: January 22, 2014, 04:39:36 pm »
Looks better in that colour when built up than as a frameset.
I prefer the understated look though myself.

geocycle

« Reply #143 on: January 22, 2014, 06:11:46 pm »

Agreed!  Would feel compelled to invest in lycra and ride furiously, whereas the more subtle colours focus you on the journey.  Very nice bike though.

leftpoole

« Reply #144 on: January 23, 2014, 11:47:30 am »

Yes! Absolutely.
Looking at the routing of the rear **** brake cable and the rear chainstays...it looks as though a future Club Tour could be afflicted with a Rohloff hub? I do believe after conversations with Andy Blance (the designer) that Thorn look to the future in Rohloff. The derailleur bikes are a secondary production.
John

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #145 on: January 23, 2014, 04:02:48 pm »
Looking at the routing of the rear **** brake cable and the rear chainstays...it looks as though a future Club Tour could be afflicted with a Rohloff hub? I do believe after conversations with Andy Blance (the designer) that Thorn look to the future in Rohloff. The derailleur bikes are a secondary production.
John

Not so, if you read page 4 of the brochure, that frame, the tubeset and fittings are from the ground up designed for derailleur systems.  It would require the entire retrofit kit to add a Rohloff to that frame, none of the fittings/dropouts or BB system are compatible with Rohloff.

Andy belives in Rohloff, but isn't naive enough to belive that everyone should have or wants it.  Andy spent a long time designing the MK4 its a completely new frame using new fittings, tubesets and profiles we have had to get Reynolds to produce especialy for it, it isn't simply a collection of tubes, dropouts, fittings and geometry borrrowed off other models.  Yes the ISO disc mount design has been proven on the mecury but even that is a different dropout.

Dave

in4

« Reply #146 on: January 23, 2014, 07:48:34 pm »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #147 on: January 23, 2014, 07:52:30 pm »
Very helpful information, Dave; the explanations help greatly and will dispel a lot of speculation as to the whys and hows. Nice to see Thorn is still committed to derailleur bikes as well as Rohloff; best of both in a single product line.

Lovely-looking bikes!

Thanks and best,

Dan.

leftpoole

« Reply #148 on: January 24, 2014, 09:23:54 am »
Not so, if you read page 4 of the brochure, that frame, the tubeset and fittings are from the ground up designed for derailleur systems.  It would require the entire retrofit kit to add a Rohloff to that frame, none of the fittings/dropouts or BB system are compatible with Rohloff.

Andy belives in Rohloff, but isn't naive enough to belive that everyone should have or wants it.  Andy spent a long time designing the MK4 its a completely new frame using new fittings, tubesets and profiles we have had to get Reynolds to produce especialy for it, it isn't simply a collection of tubes, dropouts, fittings and geometry borrrowed off other models.  Yes the ISO disc mount design has been proven on the mecury but even that is a different dropout.

Dave

Dave,
Thank you for answering what was obviously a written view of how things look to others. You dispelled some worry.
As a matter of interest following the building of the new version of the Club Tour which is surely a Reynolds tube. Why is the Audax built with 'Thorn' 858 tube when Reynolds build the world? Or is the tube a Reynolds tube with another name. What indeed is 'Thorn' 858 anyhow?
It does look at times I imagine, that I am denigrating Thorn....far from it, I have 4 bikes plus a Brompton. Those 4 bikes are all Thorn. I have not owned or ridden any other brand for many years and will continue in the same vein.
Best regards,
John

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #149 on: January 24, 2014, 11:16:41 am »
What indeed is 'Thorn' 858 anyhow?

Cromo tubing thats head treated and butted at 0.8/0.5/0.8 made in a virtually identical way to Reynolds tubing.

Dave