Author Topic: Ebay: Thorn EXP large-ish  (Read 8634 times)

lewis noble

Re: Ebay: Thorn EXP large-ish
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2015, 06:11:30 pm »
Referring to the view that Thorn tend to sell bikes too small, that has not been my experience.  So far with me, their sizing has been spot on - though I am pleased to see that the latest brochures advise that many quite a few women, and some older men adopting an upright position, will get on better with an S frame on straight bars - I come into that category!!

I recently bought a new Sherpa frame /forks, and swapped all the components from my Ripio onto it.  I will be writing up about that before long.  I submitted my measurements, set up of existing bike etc., and Steve at Thorn recommended a 530S.  I was uncertain, thinking a 500S might suit me better.  They put both frames aside pending a fitting session, at which Steve confirmed his view that the 530S was for me. I agreed with him.

And the bike has proved to be a superb fit, very comfortable.

The lightweight spec Sherpa has turned out to be a brilliant bike, more about that later.

Lewis

leftpoole

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2015, 06:33:28 pm »
Hello,
I talked to the seller and got this from him.
He is over 6ft his bike sold to him new is miles too small.
Originally fitted with drops. Owner found bars too low and saddle too low. As can be seen from photographs it is obvious the bike is too small for owner. He went to Bridgwater to be measured and this is what was sold to him.!! Thorn sells too small a bike for most people in my opinion. I went through the same originally until I specified the size I wanted! My size of bike chosen by me actually fits spot on.....Take note!
The EXP is a size 530 M (11) which suits a 5ft 6ins or so person maybe 5ft 8ish.
It is a nice bike and one I should love to own, if it were larger.
I hope this information is useful to at least one person?
Regards,
John

John,

In the Ebay listing he says that he is 5'11" not over 6'. He has as you say done many miles on it, I'd have thought that if it were miles too small, then he'd have sold it before now.

Looking at the size charts, a EXP 530 M is pretty close, size wise, to your beloved 550 S Audax 853.
The virtual top tube on the EXP 530 M is 550mm compared to 540mm on the 550 S Audax 853. The seat tubes are both 480mm though the slope on the EXP is only 50mm compared to 70mm on the audax so there would be 20mm more spacers showing on the EXP to get the same stem height. I not sure of the seat post angles of either bike as they are not shown in the brochures.

You say that you would love to own one if it were larger, what size EXP do you think would fit you best?

Hello,
I talked at length by telephone to the vendor.
His saddle is set the height that I have on my bikes. His bars are also similar height to my own.
I think the bike looks ridiculous and would not ride it.
The measurements as you mention are similar but the bike is a 26" wheeler and it makes a difference. When I owned a Sherpa I had a 560 size which fitted spot on. The bars and seat level were fine as you can see here:- http://www.pbase.com/leftpoole/image/126212345
The Audax 853 you mentioned was similar:- http://www.pbase.com/leftpoole/image/116535492
I am 5ft 6 inches with 31" inside leg measurement!
\I rest my case?
Regards,
John
PS
Audax Mk 3 my size is 550 M
Club Tour 550 S
 8)

jags

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2015, 07:54:04 pm »
your not getting off that easy my good man. :o
your not taking into consideration the angles of all the different models of Thorn bikes .

at 5.6 you need a 48 cm frame dont believe me try one and see.
now take your eyes off down off the celing and go out and rent a 48cm bike .
90mm stem 2 spacers on steering 6inches on  seatpost .

High Moors Drifter

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2015, 10:00:22 pm »
John.

The Club Tour Mk4 has mid tube stand over height of 785mm and front tube stand over height of  825mm. Your inside leg is 787.4 (31inches). Even allowing for thick soled shoes it sounds to me as though it could be a bit eye watering.

Id

leftpoole

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2015, 10:03:10 am »
Ah! Oops, I should have said TROUSER leg measurement is 31"
Anyhow all told, MY BIKES fit perfectly fine thank you!
I cannot stand this lunacy where people I have never met, never seen and possibly might not even like, are telling me
that after 65 years of life I do not know what size bike I take???
Doh!
Anto, well said my man. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Regards,
John

leftpoole

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2015, 10:04:47 am »
John.

The Club Tour Mk4 has mid tube stand over height of 785mm and front tube stand over height of  825mm. Your inside leg is 787.4 (31inches). Even allowing for thick soled shoes it sounds to me as though it could be a bit eye watering.

Id

Hello,
I have a green Mk 3 Club Tour.
It fits so get over yourself .....
Regards,
John

jags

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2015, 10:41:57 am »
Ah! Oops, I should have said TROUSER leg measurement is 31"
Anyhow all told, MY BIKES fit perfectly fine thank you!
I cannot stand this lunacy where people I have never met, never seen and possibly might not even like, are telling me
that after 65 years of life I do not know what size bike I take???
Doh!
Anto, well said my man. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Regards,
John
Ahh you like me John boy sure where would you be if i wasn't winding you up every now and again. ;)