Author Topic: Danube Linz Vienna Bratislava Ryanair  (Read 3666 times)

zebra

Danube Linz Vienna Bratislava Ryanair
« on: August 24, 2006, 07:25:00 am »
Has anyone useful tips on any aspect of our trip next month:
Flying Danair from Stansted with a tandem to Linz. Taking the cycle paths to Vienna and then to Bratislava. Flying back from Bratislava to Stansted. Among questions: Is accomodation easy to find, or do we need to phone ahead each morning? Are helmets mandatory in Austria? I "think" I'm ok on aspects of tandem and Danair. Thanks.

grisling

Re: Danube Linz Vienna Bratislava Ryanair
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 07:04:53 am »
If you are staying a night in Bratislava, worth it, there is a good, cheap hotel 20 min from airport by the name of Flora and a camping site too. Address: Senecka cesta (byroad),Stara Vajnorska ul. (mainroad)passing Tesco, and to the right. Tramway 2 and 4 to centre.
www.hotelflora.bratislava.sk

Have a nice journey,

OLe Andersen, Copenhagen Denmark

zebra

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 01:21:51 pm »
I did mean Ryanair, not Dandair, showing my age!

For the record Linz-Vienna-Bratislava is an excellent bike path trip and great week away, if an eeny but dull just west and east of Vienna. Otherwise good countryside, paths you could  ride on 23s, plenty of info places, maps, signs  and places to stay.  If we did it again we would take two days longer and go from Passau west of Linz. Ryanair took the tandem both ways for bike payment (it's a bulky sporting item) and there were no problems or damage. I'd bagged it and lashed front wheel and both sets of bars to side of frame. Bit of split plastic tubing over lower connecting chain and over bar end shifters, and between fork ends. Weighed 24.5 kilos, but it does have Marathon XRs! Panniers went in an onion bag, weighed 13kilos and counted as one item. Recommend it to anyone as  first tandem trip by plane - as it was ours. Thorn Voyager faultless and normally very stable -- though quite wobbly if you try to ride it with panniers on and stoker off.

321rpm

• Cycling Spain
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 02:03:10 am »
Cycling the Austrian Danube from Passau to Vienna is definitely perfect for a cycling holiday, particularly if it is your first tour. I recommend having a look at www.danube-cycle-path.com. The guys who run this website collect information about the cycle route for everyone who is planing to do the Danube.

mski

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 08:36:56 am »
There is a german bikeline book that covers the route. It comes marked with campsites and a list of guest houses. The route before Vienna and onwards to Bratislava is boring. The section through the Wachau valley is beautiful. I would also recommend starting in Passau as the route to Linz is very nice.
Have fun.
We cycled the route last year
ontheroadwithatoad.blogspot.com

321rpm

• Cycling Spain
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 10:52:38 am »
That's correct. The guide book is published by Esterbauer and available in English as welll as in German. There are several books describing different parts of the Danube cycle path.