Author Topic: Inaugural Tour for the brilliant, red Thorn Audax  (Read 5379 times)

Vintagetourer

Inaugural Tour for the brilliant, red Thorn Audax
« on: October 12, 2014, 04:42:09 am »
I've just finished my first tour on the new, bright red Thorn Audax. The bike performed faultlessly and is now my latest, most favourite bike of all time.

Here's a short blog (mostly pics) about the  bicycle-tour. 
It was 7 days, 700km in central NSW Australia. It was a lightly loaded tour. 

Be warned there is semi-nudity on page 6 of the blog.
Skip this page if you are easily shocked by photos of young topless things dancing in grass skirts.
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/14619

Regards
Graham Smith
Canberra Australia

geocycle

Re: Inaugural Tour for the brilliant, red Thorn Audax
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 08:20:22 am »
Great write up! I love the way you've even sprayed the Ti rack! A red coffee pot could be viewed as obsessive but I suppose it boils faster.... Oh, and your Tamworth is way nicer than ours!

Vintagetourer

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 08:54:36 am »
Yes the spray can job was not the best, but it looked OK for a while.

And the two Tamworths are a bit of a contrast. I cycled to UK Tamworth outskirts in 1979 on my first ever bike tour and it was interesting from a visitors' perspective but lacked the aesthetic appeal of other parts of the UK.

I am delighted with the ride feel of the Thorn Audax. It is close to perfect for my needs for a general touring and commuter bike.
It's quick, nippy but solid and well balanced under load.

Audax hopeful

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 09:34:13 am »
I enjoyed the story and pictures of rural Australia. Thanks for sharing!

Nich

leftpoole

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 09:58:53 am »
Hello!
Wow! The bike looks great. If you ever fit mudguards I bet they will be fitted as good as mine! I am happy to 'pass on' the mantle of perfect (ness)!
Best regards,
John

geocycle

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 10:13:04 am »
Hello!
Wow! The bike looks great. If you ever fit mudguards I bet they will be fitted as good as mine! I am happy to 'pass on' the mantle of perfect (ness)!
Best regards,
John

Praise indeed!  It is a fantastically well thought out build isn't it.

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 11:36:32 am »
Hi Graham,

Another great journal allowing others to really appreciate your trip and the locales you visited. I am familiar with the area, and still learned a lot from your engaging tale. Well done!

Your travels have been inspiring me in mine - we live in an awesome place to enjoy as cycle tourists, and with more amenities, rail trails and transport options, many more cyclists will be able to experience it. I'm also moved to try and better record my experiences, based upon your sterling efforts.

Your bikes all look fantastic, but the Audax is so, umm... RED!!!  :D

Thanks for sharing!

Sam

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 01:45:39 am »
Graham!

So very much enjoyed your journal and photos and the red-red Audax. What a fantastic build!

Thanks for sharing with us all.

May it serve you well for as long as you own it (no doubt of it!).

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 09:54:06 am »
each to there own but i really dont like red almost as bad as yellow, ::) if i were to fault thorn bikes it would be there choice of colours or should i say lack of colour..

but  the trip is fantastic.

jags.

in4

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 10:08:39 am »
But don't ya just love that red coffee pot. Ferrari Expresso anyone!  :)

Now y' got me thinking ( I should be getting a top slice for this! ) what about some Thorn merchandise? The Thorn badge/logo/motif is quite recognisable and as long as we fall short of Thorn fragrance and underwear all things are possible! Eau de Audax?! nope can't see that taking off  :)

honesty

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 11:18:36 am »
Dad worked for 20 odd years as a teacher in Tamworth, ending up as a head at one of the secondary schools.... your Tamworth is definitely nicer than ours (but doesnt have the castle!)

On branded merchandise. You can get a Park pizza cutter, but Thorn branded camp coffee pot seems more in keeping with the touring image :)

Vintagetourer

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 12:23:54 pm »
Thanks to all for the positive comments. I am pleased the journal was useful.

I should mention I also own a Thorn Sherpa which is also an excellent bike for what it was designed for. However now that I have toured on the Thorn Audax, for someone of my build, age and moderate strength I'd recommend the Audax as an outstanding all purpose touring and commuting bike. It is a joy to ride.
The Sherpa is formidably strong and durable, but I'd never describe it as a fun ride.

Jags...it is scientifically proven that red bikes go at least 25% faster. :)
Yellow looks great, but the speed factor is totally lacking!

Audax hopeful

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 12:30:41 pm »
"Jags...it is scientifically proven that red bikes go at least 25% faster. Smiley"

I think it's where the term "Red shift" is derived from!!

Nich

Vintagetourer

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 12:38:50 pm »
Nich I've never been one to name bikes, but "Red Shift" would suit this one.
It is already being called "Red Ned" by a friend.

John Saxby

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 04:01:31 pm »
Thanks, Graham--great tale, super photos, and you must be so pleased with the Audax' performance. (You might be awarded honorary Italian citizenship.) Your photos do justice to the countryside. My own slight acquaintance with the hills of the NSW/QLD border has left me intrigued by the possibilities for cycling but a bit daunted by some of the hills. You seem to have chosen your route well. Nicely written story -- I red every word.

Tamworth, eh? An attractive town, and a great ride for your reunion. Rather more picturesque than the UK version, for sure, though the Brits' contribution of the famous pigs of the same name has been justly celebrated over the years. Coincidentally, my dad was born there, although his family comes from Battle, a wee village just north of Hastings & the site of the Famous Unpleasantness in 1066. (Dad's people were on the defensive side, maybe not the best choice in retrospect, but then, it probably seemed like a good idea at the time & in any case I doubt they had much say in the matter...)

I especially liked your photos of some of the small-town hotels along the way--loved the balconies and the wrought-iron work. They're quite similar to some of the buildings one sees in small dorps in parts of South Africa. Not surprising, I guess, as they date from a similar age.

Thanks too for your suggestion that readers donate to CGOAB.

Cheers,

John