Author Topic: New, New Raven Owner  (Read 11648 times)

Matt2matt2002

Re: New New raven Owner
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 07:54:20 pm »
Great snaps. I am a fellow Raven rider and was interested to see your mirror position.
Please describe your reasoning for fitting so close to centre of bike rather than out on a wing.
I would have thought the view would be restricted?
I have a T bar fitted so could follow your example.

Also, I see a memory map GPS.
Thoughts please since I almost splashed the cash on a Garmin Edge.

Nice bike.
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 08:02:42 pm »
Most excellent, Frog'; outstanding photos of a great cockpit from the riders point of view. Seldom seen and most welcome!

My, what a beautiful bicycle; just stunning!

All best wishes for many happy rides.

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 08:27:59 pm »
very nice well class actually safe riding and keep her clean. ;)

FrogPrince

• 60-something and loving it.
    • Cycle Somerset
Re: New, NewRaven Owner
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 08:32:34 pm »
Matt
Not possible to fit the mirror on Ergon GP5-L bar ends so Andy B suggested I try fitting it to the accessory bar.
I think it will work and as I've broken two when fitted to the handle bars it might be a good idea.

The memory map was chosen for the larger screen and a cheap deal price. Took ages to work out how to use it as instructions were hopeless. I like it for walking and cycling. Using power conservation measures the battery will last all day and I charge it each night with a large back-up battery....I wouldn't necessarily recomend the Memory Map but I'm used to using it and find Garmins difficult to see and harder to use. I'm going to get a USB-Werk to help with charging. I still like to use the cateye computer for speed, milage etc as it's easy to access.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 10:58:26 pm by FrogPrince »
Sell your Clothes but keep your thoughts.

FrogPrince

• Cycle Somerset
Re: New, New Raven Owner
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2013, 07:28:25 pm »
New Raven Ride Report.
Today I did almost 50miles on the lanes of the Somerset Devon border covering some of NCR 3 used by many LEGOGers.
The general ride characteristics are great. The Ergon grips and 2" Dureme tyres combined with the steel frame gave a very comfortable ride. No more the nerve pain and numbness in the hands and neck and shoulder soreness I suffered with my previous bike. (shopping only for that one now). There is a chance I may reduce the width of the bars a little as they feel a little wide when using the bar ends.(full width including the ends is 600 mm and the bars spec should have been 590mm ...I think 580mm will be a bit more like it ) The Grizzly rims and the  2" Duremes roll really well on smooth roads but come into their own on the wet ,slippery, gravel covered, pot-holed back lanes that I mostly ride on. The XT V brakes are awesome!
Surprisingly the steering felt a bit more lively than I was expecting .......I've always had this problem with my bikes and I think it's to do with the geometry necessary when you have the torso of a six footer and legs that make you 5ft 5 inches tall  :)  It will be interesting if loaded front panniers will correct this or I might try a steering damper. The gearing was about perfect (44 front 19 rear ) Gear 11, direct drive was great for normal riding on the flat and I was comfortable with 8-14 on flat to undulating terrain. 7-3 got me up most hills and I only used 2 and 1 on the most extreme hills as I crossed into Devon. I may need to go for a smaller chainwheel if I find fully loaded touring too hard. Walking up the occasional killer hill is not a bad thing. I didn't spin out till I was doing 28-30 MPH down hills so that was fine as I'm too chicken to go faster than 30 MPH anyway.
I used the lights on senso in the dark lanes and people said the Top Light Line Plus was really bright and visible in daylight. The Lumotec IQ Cyo R senso plus hasn't had a real test on a dark road at night .....in town and on lit roads it's fine ....I will find out if it was the correct choice for me as the nights drawn in.
Matt
The mirror position was not great. It was OK in town for checking the traffic but I need to use it when I'm leading group rides and in that position I couldn't see very far back. ( My 65 year old arthritic neck won't allow me to look round) I'll have to think about a different solution.

I'll post another report when I've ridden it loaded.
For now I'm a really happy bunny  ;D
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 07:37:25 pm by FrogPrince »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2013, 08:11:50 pm »
Colin!

This is just fabulous, and an absolutely terrific owner-rider photo for the gallery in the bargain!

My! The bike just looks stunning, and a good match for the rider as well.

If it is any help as a data point, I find it usually takes me about six months for a new bike to "settle in" with the little changes and modifications  make. After that, they remain static for 20 more years! I feel sure you'll get this one dialed-in soon enough. Meantime, it's great to hear the gearing is doing well. Any changes needed there will be inexpensive and easily accomplished. I think you'll like the lights in total darkness, and the mirror can be sorted as well.

Meantime, you've surely got a marvelous new ride, and I wish you the best while exploring your lanes and byways. 50 miles is a great start!

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 09:34:26 pm by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2013, 08:38:14 pm »
Bike and Pilot looking good scottie fantastic set up yeah they sure know there stuff when it comes to making a bike thats all day comfort.
i had a night spin planned for tonight but its blowing a gale so its feet up at tv me thinks. ::)
i have tried severl different tyres over the years and found the schwalble supreams by far the best as good as a slick great on wet tarmac and comfy.
anyway best of luck with the new baby for god sake get a good lock. ;)

FrogPrince

• Cycle Somerset
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2013, 09:09:05 pm »
.......................any advice on a good lock??????
The problem is the good ones are so bloody bulky and heavy!

jags

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2013, 09:20:03 pm »
yeah i know i bought the kryptonite  new york lock weighs a bloody ton, never once used it outside but i do use it to lock my 2 bikes together inside the house if i'm away for any lenght of time.
all i use now is a good lenght of cable and a good padlock.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 10:24:39 am by jags »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2013, 09:22:15 pm »
...any advice on a good lock?
Hi Colin! I've had good luck with the AXA Defender on my Sherpa, and others have successfully used the Abus Amparo 4850 on their Nomads. You can find all the threads devoted to each by entering (no quotes) "AXA Defender" or "ABUS Amparo" in the Forum's search engine.

Both these locks are ring-locks, permanently mounted to the bike, and each will take a plug-in cable or chain as well. The ring-lock secures the rear wheel to the frame, making it difficult to wheel the loaded bicycle away (it would have to be carried, which would be more difficult if the bike is loaded for tour).

*However*, as much as I like my ring-lock, I do consider it to be secondary protection and still carry my U-lock (A Kryptonite Evo2000) and a cable when in sketchy areas or leaving the bike for any time at all. I am looking into purchasing Atomic22 wheel locks to secure the SON dynohub and Rohloff as well. Others on the Forum have been very happy with their Pitlock security wheel skewers. Andre Jute and Julian (JulK) have gone with a stem that rotates freely when disengaged, and this renders the bicycle unridable when desired and so reduces theft potential greatly. I would have one myself if I didn't have other uses for the steerer and/or needed a unique stem for fitment purposes. You can read all the threads about them by entering "N'lock" (no quotes) in the Forum search engine.

I made up a little tutorial on how to easily and effectively search the Forum's posts; it is available here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4390.0

<nods> Yes, it is terribly unfortunate we need locks at all, and yes they are surely bulky and heavy, eating into the ease and fun of cycling. A necessary evil, it seems. Still, best to lock the steed securely else it can wander (with help).

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 09:34:45 pm by Danneaux »

geocycle

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2013, 09:11:05 am »
Interesting you find the new raven skittish.  There are a few reports of that about the old RST but never the RT which is as steady as you can get.  Given the new raven is a sort of hybrid of the two it's interesting that characteristic has gone down the gene line.

Andre Jute

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2013, 10:29:22 am »
Love your cockpit, Frog. As Jags says, a class act.

About a mirror, it's a very tricky thing to mount on a Rohloff-hubbed bike. There are three strategies that I've used successfully. The first is not to mount the mirror on the bike at all but on your helmet. Bell makes helmets that take mirrors. I have had the Bell Metro and currently have the Bell Citi, both now out of production but still available in some shops; just be sure you can get the right mirror for them, and buy a set of spare pads as well, though my pads still look like new after several years. (Maybe I'm just very clean, or so fit I don't sweat. I wish!) Second strategy is to get a truck mirror on a long arm. My LBS used to sell one that had a crude loop of metal suitable for mounting it to a bicycle handlebar. Crude but actually very efficient. You mount it inside your Rohloff rotary control, brake lever and in my case the heart rate monitor control whose buttons I need to reach with removing my hand completely from the handlebar. The long arm and the shape of the mirror then permits it to see past your upper arm. It works. I had several of those over the years. I saw them advertised on fleabay the other day, so they're still made. The third strategy is to use a plug=-in mirror on the end of your handlebar. Zefal's Dooback is a superior, but fragile and vulnerable (a footbride that I enter at about 30kph with an inch to spare on either side has claimed four of mine as the entrance price for misjudgement) and expensive to replace. The reason I mention it all the same is that if you're a careful sort of rider, it is the best plug-in mirror out there, bar none. I now use a roadie's mirror made by Cateye that costs under a fiver. It is round and, unlike the Dooback which is shaped to give the heel of your hand plenty of space, you can't use it pointed up from the plug at the end of the handlebar, you use it pointing down. It works a treat, isn't vulnerable because it just folds back under the handlebar when it gets banged, and is anyway cheap to replace.  The model number is Cateye 300G and I get mine from Wiggle http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cateye-bm-300g-race-mirror/ Mmm, it looks like mine has lasted so long, inflation has caught up with it. No longer under a fiver... Still a bargain, and highly recommended for the money as a working solution to the problem of a crowded handlebar. There is a fourth strategy but I haven't tried it, as I wear different sorts of spectacles on different days, and not all of them will focus down at the tab of the front wheel: the fourth strategy is a mirror attached to the fork roundabout the hub

If you're going the U-lock route, and I suppose you'd better set an example to the younger folk riding behind you, the European equivalent of the look Dan was talking about is the Abus Granit 54X U lock. The likelihood is that you need the 30cm length. (There's also a 230mm but the idea is to get the rim, tyre, at least one tube of the bike, and a fixed post or small tree or cast rail or something inside the U of the lock, and the 230 is just too small.) The thing weighs over three pounds but it comes with the best clip in the business, a quick release, quick return springloaded clip I carry on the seat tube just under the side so I can grab it to defend myself against carelessly driven Range Rovers in the narrow ways I ride in. There's a choice of clips but only one comes in the box, and all the others are less convenient in use, so buy the kit with the right clip in the box. Also, buy a hefty chain; Abus makes several that match the lock) and are locked up/unlocked with it.

The n'lock is convenient and is all I use, but I live in a low-crime area. In the sort of situation where even a broken bike, which is what the n'locked bike appears to be, may be stolen by someone with a truck, or where the bike may be stripped of components, one needs the 54X anyway, and the hefty chain that accompanies it, rather than the relatively lightweight cables that work with the n'lock. (That's given me an idea. Gazelle gave me a hefty chain in a canvas sheath to plug into the ring locks on my Gazelle Toulouse and Trek Smover; I think I'll see if the pin on it doesn't work with the n-lock; that would be terrifically convenient.)

That red on your bike is really very racey!

FrogPrince

• Cycle Somerset
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2013, 04:50:14 pm »
Thanks for the info
I did explain I can't use a bar end mirror with the Ergon bar ends. That is what I've done up until now and I've found the Mirrycle mirror to be the best of several tried. I'm thinking of trying a helmet mirror...........I'll see if I can borrow one and see how I get on with it.

I live in a rural area and rarely if ever leave my bike unattended in town so the choice of lock is a tricky one as there is always a risk. At the moment I use a cable lock when stopping at tea rooms and cafes so I will think more about that.

geocycle

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2013, 05:09:50 pm »
Thanks for the info
I did explain I can't use a bar end mirror with the Ergon bar ends. That is what I've done up until now and I've found the Mirrycle mirror to be the best of several tried. I'm thinking of trying a helmet mirror...........I'll see if I can borrow one and see how I get on with it.

I live in a rural area and rarely if ever leave my bike unattended in town so the choice of lock is a tricky one as there is always a risk. At the moment I use a cable lock when stopping at tea rooms and cafes so I will think more about that.

One lock issue you might need to consider is what your insurance demands.  Mine insists on gold secure rating for bikes >£1500.  Because of that I got an Abus 401 mini gold.  The lock fits in a saddle bag so can be carried on day rides.  It is heavy but also small so the overall weight is ok.  The only tricky aspect is getting the frame near enough to a solid object. I sometimes have to use a wheel (which are pitlocked).  I leave a bigger Abus granit at work as my every day lock.

jags

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2013, 05:18:01 pm »
 there was a lot of bikes stolen at the Mildenhall rally in August.i was to go to that but no money as per usual  ;D ;D maybe it was just as well ::)

the helmet mirror is very good i don't have one but 2 lads i know have them and they really like them .
the kryptonite is excellent but way to heavy to take on a 50 miler :o
so did you try a night spin yet interested to hear your views on your  lights ;)

jags.