Author Topic: Are mudguards necessary on a dry weather trip ?  (Read 7518 times)

peterfs

Are mudguards necessary on a dry weather trip ?
« on: November 10, 2014, 11:35:19 pm »
I'm planning to visit Malawi in May 2015 for five weeks and will be taking my Thorn EXP on the trip. I'll be staying with in laws for some of the time but I'm going to tour some of the country by bike for a few weeks. The weather at this time of the year is dry and warm and great for cycling. What I'm wondering is, do you think there is any advantage in having mud guards on the bike ? There will be a mix of tarmac, but mostly dirt road - gravel, sand, rock. The advantages of not having guards are easier packing for the plane journey, less chance of damage from loose stones etc and I also like the look of the stripped down style ! I'm used to having had mud guards on all the bikes Ive had due to the British climate - will I need them on this trip ?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Are mudguards necessary on a dry weather trip ?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 01:34:05 am »
Hi Peter!

From what you describe of the weather, you should be "safe" without mudguards by all conventional logic and reasoning.

However (you knew there was a "however" coming, didn't you?  ;D) I often ride in the "dry" climate of America's Great Basin deserts and have chosen to always ride with fenders/mudguards.

Why?

Well, on the way between home here in the Willamette Valley and the desert, I traverse a number of agricultural areas where farmers employ "water cannons" to irrigate their fields. Without mudguards, the bike and I would get nearly as wet as in a downpour.

Of more relevance to your intended tour, I've found running mudguards and generous mudflaps (I prefer these: http://buddyflaps.com ) in the desert has helped tremendously to reduce maintenance and has also helped greatly in reducing stone-chip damage to my paint. I can hear stones and such rattling around under the mudguards, and am reminded that without them, the paint would take over that role.

For these reasons, I'd probably take them, being sure to unbolt and stack both mudguards over the tires and tape them in place to prevent damage during air travel and facilitate reattachment. An alternative would be to go halfway and fit abbreviated, clip-on fenders or a rack-top bag and a Crud Catcher under the downtube. At the minimalist extreme, I think I'd probably put a strip or two of electrical tape  on the undersides of the frame tubes to protect them from direct impact by thrown stones and pebbles.

Opinions will surely differ on this one, but I'd probably go with fenders of some sort with the idea of protecting the bike and keeping the drivetrain a bit cleaner. Doing so has paid off for me with older bikes (my most-used rando bikes are 30 and 34 years old, used heavily on logging and forest service roads and for "gravel grinders") and their original paint still looks pristine thanks to continuous use of mudguards, worth the hassle of fitting and removal for me when traveling by air.

Best wishes for a wonderful tour -- it sounds fantastic!

Dan.

John Saxby

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 03:19:33 am »
Peter, I lived in Zambia for quite a few years, and had the great pleasure of visiting Malawi many times.  Where will you be when you visit?  By May, the rains have pretty much ended.  (May is  a lovely time of year in southern Africa -- after the rains, so everything is green, and the sky is clear. It's warm and the evenings are fresh.)  A couple of cautions, however: in late May, there is a cool and wet southeasterly wind which blows in from Mozambique, the ciperone. (Pronounced "chipper-oh-nee")  It can bring cloudy drizzly weather which makes the laterite (dirt) roads slick and treacherous. It can bring heavy rain sometimes as well -- see Laurens van der Post's Venture to the Interior, an account of trekking on Mulanje in 1948, when the ciperone brought catastrophe.  (I've written an account of a 6-day traverse, hiking across Mulanje, if you're interested -- send me a P/message if so, but don't feel obliged.)

Secondly, you might also encounter some wet weather if you're on the Nyika Plateau in the north, during May, depending on your dates.  The rains can last into May in the north, at altitude.

Nothing to lose by using fenders and mudguards (mudflaps), as Dan's note signals.  I would certainly use tires with a good dirt-road tread.  Note that "gravel" as known in, say the US or Canada, or even Namibia, doesn't apply in Malawi:  laterite is crumbly red soil with small bits of gravel, dusty in the dry and slick in the wet.  The tarmac has potholes; avoid entering them, whether dry or full of water.

The coffee, BTW, is to die for.  Go to the Mzuzu Plateau, home of Malawi's coffee. Immerse yourself in it, as it were.  Then ride down a couple of thousand feet to the lake at Nkhata Bay -- more crowded than it used to be, but still beautiful.  Careful about swimming in the lake, esp close to the shore if there are reeds and still water -- between the crocs and bilharzia, there are Things To Avoid. Ask advice from the people who live there.

Do check out the plateaux.  I've mentioned Nyika, but the Zomba Plateau is fabulous too. (The "up" road will test your legs, the "down" road your brakes.) From the KuChawe inn on its SE corner, you have a splendid view across the valley, 80 kms to the NW rock face of Chambe, a peak on Mulanje, a mere 1600 metres and three days' climb, if that's the sort of thing you fancy. If not, just order a cold beer and look at it in the light of the setting sun, which turns the granite a bewitching golden rust.

And, Mulanje is a massif at 7500 feet, with 23 granite peaks on it (the highest summit, Sapitwa, is 10,000 feet), all of them scrambleable without having to resort to technical climbing.  An old friend runs a trekking business on Mulanje, and I'm happy to refer you to him. My take on Mulanje, BTW, is: Knowing Mulanje, why would anyone bother with Kilimanjaro? Mulanje is more beautiful, more challenging despite being only half the height, and mercifully uncrowded. And, there are glorious streams and waterfalls.  Happily, not many know about Mulanje, & that's why it's uncrowded.  Also, the first day's ascent is very steep -- keeps away the dilettantes & riff-raff.

Time to stop, I'm getting weepy...

Good luck, and as you may guess, I'm hopelessly envious.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 01:41:39 pm by John Saxby »

leftpoole

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 08:03:17 am »
I'm planning to visit Malawi in May 2015 for five weeks and will be taking my Thorn EXP on the trip. I'll be staying with in laws for some of the time but I'm going to tour some of the country by bike for a few weeks. The weather at this time of the year is dry and warm and great for cycling. What I'm wondering is, do you think there is any advantage in having mud guards on the bike ? There will be a mix of tarmac, but mostly dirt road - gravel, sand, rock. The advantages of not having guards are easier packing for the plane journey, less chance of damage from loose stones etc and I also like the look of the stripped down style ! I'm used to having had mud guards on all the bikes Ive had due to the British climate - will I need them on this trip ?

Hello,
Well, a Thorn without mudguards? A Thorn has mudguard eyes for a reason- mudguards!
No mudguards in my own opinion makes the bicycle look as though something were missing. Rain? It does rain where you are off to and the purpose of mudguards is for just that reason.
Just my observation of course but a Thorn ( repeated) does not look good without mudguards!
Regards,
John

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 09:05:07 am »
Hello,
Well, a Thorn without mudguards? A Thorn has mudguard eyes for a reason- mudguards!
No mudguards in my own opinion makes the bicycle look as though something were missing. Rain? It does rain where you are off to and the purpose of mudguards is for just that reason.
Just my observation of course but a Thorn ( repeated) does not look good without mudguards!
Regards,
John

Funny you should say this since I was recently looking at pictures of my Raven Tour from the first day I bought it, second hand.
It came without mud guards and I immediately ordered a pair.

But looking at the pictures now, it does have a certain rugged appeal. Well, to me.
A tough guy kinda thing.

Always use guards now. Wet or dry.

Matt.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Kuba

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 09:29:38 am »
How are you going to pack your bike for the flight? I've used a poly bag in the past, so never need to strip the bike and mudguards were not an issue. And mudguards come in handy whenever you have to cross a stream, get caught up in a shower, etc. My partner took hers off for a Himalaya ride to fit fat tyres, technically we rode through a desert all that time, but we still had a bit of drizzle on high passes plus crossing streams - she was okay but would be better off with guards. I took my mudguards off for southern France and regretted badly on the two days is drizzled. (That was because I swapped tyres from 2.0 to 1.6 last minute, bike looked bad with increased clearance and taking guards off seemed a better idea than adjusting them which is fiddly).

Mudguards are a bit like bike lights for me. Whenever I set off thinking I won't need them on this particular ride/trip, I'm usually proven wrong! ::)

So generally, I wouldn't, mainly because it's hard to see any advantage of doing so beyond perhaps aesthetics.

honesty

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 09:42:50 am »
Thorn seem to recommend not using them in their nomad brochure as they can get damaged when transported, the rear is taken care of by the luggage and the front by barbags and maybe a crud catcher. I have to say though I fitted some to my bike as I ride it all year round and have never bothered to remove them as the weight isnt huge and its a pain in the bum to do so...

lewis noble

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 10:34:11 am »
. . . . and if you take them off and later replace them, they never seem to go on as well afterwards . . . !!  That's my experience anyway . . .

Lewis

leftpoole

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 10:50:09 am »
Thorn seem to recommend not using them in their nomad brochure as they can get damaged when transported, the rear is taken care of by the luggage and the front by barbags and maybe a crud catcher. I have to say though I fitted some to my bike as I ride it all year round and have never bothered to remove them as the weight isnt huge and its a pain in the bum to do so...

Thorn recommend? I would not worry too much about Thorn recommendations..
John

Kuba

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 11:35:00 am »
. . . . and if you take them off and later replace them, they never seem to go on as well afterwards . . . !!  That's my experience anyway . . .

Hear, hear.

I think Thorn's recommendation makes sense if you're stripping down the bike before the flight and at least take the wheels off, whereas I always get away with just twisting the bars and putting the bike into this: http://www.ctcshop.org.uk/ctc-plastic-bike-bag/

I purchased my bag some time ago for £6 and not sure why it's a tenner now. Some recommend using cheap mattress bags instead but the CTC bag is thicker and sturdier then other poly bags I looked at. Packing the bike takes minutes this way and the bag doubles up as a foot print for your tent, if needed. Some airports may kick a fuss but most airlines do accept this form of packing a bike, just make sure you check guidelines before you fly if you go down that route.

jags

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 12:52:44 pm »
They should be BANNED imho., ::)

trying to get them to line up is next to impossible they seem to have a mind of ther own,, one minute you get the perfectly straight next thing there all to one sidewhich cracks me up,and no i aint doing anything wrong i hate mudguards  end of story.
having said that there great for keeping  you dry and clean  ;D ;D

jags

honesty

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 02:11:52 pm »
Thorn recommend? I would not worry too much about Thorn recommendations..
John
Seems a little dismissive. They have a huge amount of experience with traveling with bikes, and if they say there's problems with damaged mudguards in transit when you take the wheel off you can probably say its from past experiences. Whether you take it into account or not is then up to the individual. Personally never affected me as I always travel with the wheels still attached, but have never flown with a bike.

mickeg

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 03:09:04 pm »
Have you considered the ones that clamp onto seatpost or seattube?  They are reasonably cheap, light, pack well in luggage.  If you do not need it, it was not a big deal to carry it along.

The front ones that fit into the front fork crown with an expanding plug won't work on a Thorn crown if the crown has a threaded fitting over the base of the steerer tube for the fender, thus for the front you might be better off with one of those wide plastic things that strap on the downtube with zip ties.

I only have the rear fender in the photo, no front.  I was on a vehicle supported trip, someone hauled my gear in a truck thus no racks and panniers for the photo.  The day I used the rear fender, I expected to have to cross some muddy road sections and I wanted to keep the mud off, but fortunately everything was dry that day.

But quite frankly, if I had a rear rack and some form of rack top luggage, that would serve the purpose of a rear fender quite nicely.

Just a side note - in the photo you will notice that I have electrical tape around both ends of the S&S "nuts" to keep the dirt and dust out of the threads for the S&S couplers.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 03:14:45 pm by mickeg »

jags

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 03:15:09 pm »
 ;) as good as any i gave my buddy one of them yesterday ,

leftpoole

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 05:46:37 pm »
Seems a little dismissive. They have a huge amount of experience with traveling with bikes, and if they say there's problems with damaged mudguards in transit when you take the wheel off you can probably say its from past experiences. Whether you take it into account or not is then up to the individual. Personally never affected me as I always travel with the wheels still attached, but have never flown with a bike.

I meant Thorn advice in general!