Author Topic: Saving for a proper bike!  (Read 7488 times)

Cake

Saving for a proper bike!
« on: December 03, 2007, 03:38:07 pm »
Hello all!

This is my first posting after making a firm decision to save up for a Raven Tour.  I have read many of the postings on the forum over the past few months and they have proved to be a most valuable resource (especially the pictures posted by Freddered - thanks!).

I started cycling again and discovered that i prefer pacing myself and enjoying the scenery and fresh air than going hell for leather and collapsing in a dribbling heap.  I therefore came to the conclusion that a comfortable touring bike was in order (i do know it is still possible to exhaust yourself on a tourer!).  I have also had enough of derailleurs....

I clock up a few miles so i thought it might be interesting to find out what sort of distances people have covered on their trusty steeds - Rohloff or non-Rohloff - Miles or Km's!

Cheers

Gary.

Fred A-M

Re: Saving for a proper bike!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 04:13:42 pm »
As an RST owner, I've done 90 tour-laden miles in a day over the Yorkshire Dales and more recently, 79 loaded miles in a day that incorporated mountain pass climbs of 5,000ft (from near sea level) and 4,200ft respectively.

I anticipate comfortably surpassing these distances in the forthcoming months as I do some UK Audax events: the Rohloff is definitely the way to go for non-competitive distance-cycling!

Fred
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 04:16:35 pm by Fred A-M »

The Raucous AUK

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 08:02:57 pm »
I had my Cyclosportif second-hand last year (2006) and didn't do much on it until August when I did a lovely three-day 'lightweight' tour on it doing about 330 miles riding from Port Talbot to Middlesbrough using B&B's at Church Stretton and Goosenargh (Preston). I used a Carradice saddlebag to carry my change of clothes and tools, bits, etc. and thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience.

This year I took up audax with a view to riding Paris-Brest-Paris and the highlights for me were doing the 619km Bryan Chapman (Chepstow to Anglesey and back to Chepstow in one weekend) and the 1224km Paris-Brest-Paris itself. For these rides my Cyclosportif did me proud and I'm only switching to the Audax Mk.3 so as to be able to use 28c's with mudguards.

Fred A-M what did you think about the Yorkshire Dales? I was gobsmacked by them! My mum lives near the the North Yorkshire Moors (Heartbeat country) and I niavely thought that the Yorkshire Dales would be similar. Apart from the steeper gradients the Yorkshire Dales are just stunning and I'm looking forward to having another tour up that way.

geocycle

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 08:41:33 pm »
The dales are great aren't they?  I really enjoyed a version of the dales cycle way a couple of years ago, but there are some serious hills!  

Cake, you won't regret buying any of the ravens.  My RT has just reached 3500 miles in the first year and is close to being my perfect all round bike.  It's done 70 mile days, carried the week's suppermarket shopping, gone offroad and is my commuter -wonderful!  As fred a-m says the rohloff is great for most non-competitive folks.

Fred A-M

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 08:59:16 pm »
Raucous AUK & Geocycle

Agreed, the Dales are stunning.  I've been up there cycling (passing through) on a couple of ocassions as I've an uncle who lives in Gunnerside (Swaledale) and there's few places IMO that can match the beauty of what I've seen of the Dales, though I have to confess that's based on fairly limited UK cycling - I did do a tour of NW Scotland and the Outer Hebrides on which I probably did the most stunning day's cycling I've ever done, the costal road around South Harris - a simply mindblowing and awesome variation of sea and landscapes - I really wish I'd had a digital camera on that tour so that I could publish the photos! I feel that I really should make an effort to see more of the UK and I guess with some audax events on the agenda, that will soon become a reality!  
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 09:06:05 pm by Fred A-M »

DavidH

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 09:40:07 pm »
"saving up for a proper bike"  Cake - you've encouraged me to contribute to the forum, having just looked onto e-bay to see what I can expect to get for some old LP's... and only the other day I sold Skoda no2 to an 18 year old who had just past his test. There is some poetry in selling a car to someone who sees a bike as a link to childhood, so that I can convince myself I'm still young and fit.

The Skoda Felicia will pay for the Raven Tour frameset. I haggled with the teenager and managed to secure enough money for one of the wheel rims. I'm going to try and link milestones to extra bits of the bike as I go, but quite a haul before the Rohloffs paid for.

But it is fund being in thatwhich extras do I want phase? - and still waivering between Raven Tour or Sport tour (weight differences anyone?). A trip to Bridgwater after christmas me thinks...

Cake

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 01:28:35 pm »
90 mile laden day trips and mountain touring are what i am aspiring to Fred! Definately not possible on my current bike without a sore rear end - 70 mile unladen was as much as i could put up with. Excellent pictures aswell Fred - Makes me want to get out there!

I am interested in the longevity of the RT's as i'm in the buying a "bike for life" group of people.  I realise bikes need maintenance and components do wear out, but a solid foundation is essential to make a good machine!

Thats exactly the sort of use i would be looking for Geocycle - reliable mutli-purpose transport (and a bike that makes you want to be out riding!). I am a bit of a mile counter, although this is certainly not the reason i ride, just an interesting aside.  3500 miles is a fair old distance!

Thats a good way of looking at fundraising DavidH!  I think i have enough for half of the Rohloff so far... Or mudguards, a B17, rear rack and bar ends! I had similar problems resolving the RT or RST quandry in my head but have settled on the Tour for the time being. Plenty of time for that to change though!

Fred A-M

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 02:49:04 pm »
That's the only complaint I have at the moment ref the RST: inability to do the weekly family shop which comes to substantially more than 17kg!

DavidH

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 09:29:09 pm »
quote:
Or mudguards, a B17, rear rack and bar ends!

- B17 is for Christmas (though some would say it should be for life, and not just for Christmas). Handlebars are a birthday present. Think the in-laws will be buying pedals.

Speaking of which, Pedals anyone? I probably need to look at something up to £30 (unless someone persuades me that really isn't enough). Never had cleats before - much use will be for a commute, which will need practical outdoor shoes at other end, so I expect I will use toe clips

bobs

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 12:01:34 am »
Shimano M342 or A530  hope it got the numbers right, SPD one side flat the other. best of both worlds.

freddered

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 09:14:22 am »
202 Miles in a day unladen (apart from trusty Carradice Barley)on the Raven Tour.  Andover Hants to Stockport Manchester.

Around 50 miles a day carrying full camping gear (but could have done more, we just wanted to stop ASAP for Beers).

I've done several 200km (125 mile) Audax rides on it and will be attempting longer Audaxes next year.

I had the same difficult decision 2 years ago but decided that I wanted the ability to carry a full camping load at some point.  I have a light-weight tourer in the garage but I haven't used it in 2 years, whatever type of ride I'm about to do I reach for the Raven Tour now.

Thanks for the feedback on the photos, I'll keep posting them occasionally.

sardar

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 11:12:29 am »
I have a raven nomad, purchased in July, 4000km up now, fully loaded (35kg)touring in france, daily commute (45km round trip), day rides, out with junior, I do it all on this bike, my other bikes have about 50k total since i bought the nomad. It is heavy though, which means i am about 10-15% slower unloaded.

Cake

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 04:34:25 pm »
Greetings all!

Well, i am now in the fortunate position of awaiting delivery of a Raven Tour! It should be with me in a couple of weeks.  This should mean that it will be tried, tested and bedded-in ready for a summer of bliss.

I drove down to Bridgwater, just to see what i was spending all that cash on, and also for some advice from the professionals regarding frame size for instance.  Much easier to get it right from the start.  The place is indeed very tardis like!  And the people very friendly, helpful and obviously enthusiastic about what they do!

The frame is a 537L with straight bars (i've always used them!), ergon bar ends, an accessory bar, LX brakes, rigida rims - i'm going to find out through experience what works and lasts and what doesn't, i did opt for Schwalbe marathon plus 1.75"- heavy i know but a tyre that has served me well in the past, standard b/b and front hub, black Rohloff, B17 saddle, Thorn rack, M324 pedals - spd during the summer months, flats and assault boots during winter etc. etc.!

Oh, and traditional British Racing Green finish.  It just had to be!

After typing this i now want it to arrive immediately!

I should have said cumulative mileage on my first post, i get the impression that some of you guys are rarely off your trusty steeds!  Again, these bikes are built for longevity so i was curious as to how much they have to put up with.

I do a similar mileage to Sardar and people seem to think you're mad, although i think its much more likely that i would be mad if i didn't.

So, here's to patience over the coming weeks, and a hope for the strong winds to abate!

Cheers.

geocycle

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 07:29:07 pm »
Congratulations on the bike Cake.  I'm sure you'll love it.  Let's see some pics when you get it. 

Mine went through floods nearly up to the bottom bracket today and will be ready to go again tomorrow.

freddered

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 08:02:31 pm »
hope for the strong winds to abate!

Nah.  Don't wait get out there.  I've been out every week day this year and I don't remember a dry or calm day yet.  I've had a blast.

I should really post a picture of my RT to show what 400 miles of 2008 weather and country lanes can do to a nice shiny bike. 

The best part about my bike being covered in filth? 
I don't care, that's the best part. 

The grime is having no detrimental effect on anything but the shinyness.  My old derailleurs would be complaining about something by now.

I know the shinyness can be restored in 15 minutes with a bucket of soapy water and a brush but I'll wait until it stops raining.

Can't wait to see the bike Cake