Author Topic: excellent cycle site Ireland.  (Read 3275 times)

jags

excellent cycle site Ireland.
« on: October 08, 2013, 04:54:16 pm »
Check this new site out.the best I've ever seen especially if you want to tour ireland.

http://cycleireland.ie/

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: excellent cycle site Ireland.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 04:55:10 pm »
Jags! We need a link...

;D

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 04:56:31 pm »
SOORY DAN IN MY EXCITEMENT I FORGOT. ;D
check out the drogheda tour thats the route i do lovely.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 04:58:23 pm »
IN MY EXCITEMENT I FORGOT...
And no wonder, Jags! That is a real site! I'll be spending some time there, for sure. Well found and nicely shared; thanks!

Best,

Dan.

moodymac

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 06:16:56 pm »
Jags,

That Ireland is one beautiful country!  Have you been over any of the trails marked very difficult?

jags

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 06:29:00 pm »
yes up my end i have  cooley mountains hard cycling at least for me ::)
kerry cork clare  magic.if you check out the louth tour drogheda thats where i am  newgrange would be a favourate route of mine.

John Saxby

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 06:46:12 pm »
Thanks for this link, Jags. Beautiful photos, a praise poem to The Holy Ground.  But I'm reminded of Rual's fotos of Scotland, with all the sunshine... Years back, I read Eric Newby's "Round Ireland in Low Gear," and a delightful tale it was, too.  But god! it seemed to be forever raining--mind you, he did make his ride between October and March, and I wondered, "Why on earth do that?"  Makes the pubs that much warmer and drier at the end of the day, I guess.

Lots of the rides rated "hard" or "very hard", I notice -- good thing I'll have a couple of ratios on the Raven in the 15 - 17 range.

jags

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 06:56:55 pm »
yes we have a fair reputation for rain but to be honest its never that bad.when i cycled Spain it rain cat and dogs never in my life did i see anything like  don't talk about France ;D ;D

up my end the coolies are hard but  not anyway long climbs short and steep.
the healy pass in west cork is tough enough when you get to the top you decend into the kingdom of Kerry stunning country but you go back up the other side of the mountain  ;D ;D
that part caught me out bigtime then a beautifull ride into kenmare.
like everywhere i suppose if the sun is shining its worth the hard slog. ;)

in4

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 07:15:52 pm »
Wonderful site. That Truskmore road made me curious so a quick google search revealed this : http://www.dangerousroads.org/ireland/2341-truskmore.html

If you fancy cycling some other 'challenging roads' this site lists a few.

jags

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 07:49:19 pm »
Wow thats amazing never new about it.
the mast on top of the coolies is a tough climb i think its 5km but hard at least i find it hard.
my french friend Micheal went up in the big ring left the rest of the group in his wake. ;D ;D

FrogPrince

• 60-something and loving it.
    • Cycle Somerset
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 08:22:51 pm »
What an amazing site.........already planning a trip back to Derrynane  :) ....one of my favourite places in the world.
Sell your Clothes but keep your thoughts.

Andre Jute

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 12:49:50 pm »
Thanks for the links! Amazing how many of those "dangerous" roads I've been over without noticing anything except that they were badly kept...

This is my favourite on the "dangerous" list for Ireland: the Gap of Dunloe. http://www.dangerousroads.org/ireland/994-gap-of-dunloe-ireland.html Mind in the winter, up to may, after October, that you stay on the road however difficult the going may be. Beside the road you'll sink without trace in the bogs. A party with a car at each end is advisable except for experienced and fit offroaders.

My personal favourite is a near-daily ride, complete with it's own dark hedges spot; it's dangerous because it invites speeds to which the road surface really isn't suitable, and the unmarked crossroads can be lethal, not only for traffic but sudden local gusts of wind that can blow you right off your bike. (It happened to me, and the trucky who stopped to put me on my feet again was surprised that I'd cycled there 20 years without discovering about the notorious wind at this junction: apparently all the hardsided truck drivers know about it.) http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLEKilmacsimon1.html

dc

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 06:53:32 pm »
First class site jags keep up the good work and Dan you too  best regards Dermot