Author Topic: Thorn Tourer disc front and rear  (Read 3243 times)

sd

Thorn Tourer disc front and rear
« on: April 05, 2014, 11:00:33 am »
 Thinking of flogging Thorn Raven Enduro Mountain bike and replacing with a tourer...must be able to carry decent weight but must have disc brakes all round. Not to bothered about weight as I think i am going to buy a power assisted bike for pulling trailer. Keep bidding on EBay but can't bring myself to put in a realistic bid. As I pull trailers full of wood and apples that is the only realistic option. So Thorn Rohloff for pub and rides to ...pubs that are long way a way. Also for lighter loads ie taking apples to pub etc I will need a bike that can carry a lot in panniers. Obviously must have Rohloff. Thorn say I will have to have a suspension front fork to take disc brake. Any ideas on a None suspension fork I can make them use?

honesty

Re: Thorn Tourer disc front and rear
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 01:51:55 pm »
At 700c size thorn now have a disc fork themselves. You could therefore build the Mercury up into a disc equipped tourer. I'm guessing you are talking about 26in though, as in a Nomad, at which point there are going to be ones out there with the right suspension adjustment, I just don't know of any or think that any will have the right eyelets for racks...

sd

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 04:03:22 pm »
Mercury is tempting but a bit expensive and would prefer 26" but not sure why? I will need to go off road with it as I can't walk very far due to septic arthritis. I need to go off road for foraging. I am not sure 700c would be the best for that?

bobs

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 05:06:54 pm »
You could fit a Surly or Salsa fork and it would do a great job. Thinking of getting one for my Sterling.

Bob

sd

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 06:22:18 pm »
I have got a Carradice front bags and rack for suspension forks but the rack and bags work together. The rack would fall to the floor if the bags weren't on it. Cannot find them on Carradice site anymore so wandering if there was fault with them? Haven't used them for a while and they developed small holes which must be from catching the spokes . May have been why they don't sell them anymore?

rualexander

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 07:06:51 pm »
You could fit a Surly or Salsa fork and it would do a great job. Thinking of getting one for my Sterling.

Bob

This was my first thought, a Surly Disc Trucker fork http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/surly-disc-trucker-fork-1-1-8-inch-steerer-for-26-inch-wheel-black-prod30113/ but I wonder if it might throw the geometry out too much on a Nomad?

bobs

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 07:44:52 pm »
You can get a 80mm suspension corrected Surly  fork.

Bob
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 05:55:19 am by bobs »

sd

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 08:17:29 pm »
This was my first thought, a Surly Disc Trucker fork http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/surly-disc-trucker-fork-1-1-8-inch-steerer-for-26-inch-wheel-black-prod30113/ but I wonder if it might throw the geometry out too much on a Nomad?

Interesting I will look at these. Thanks

David Simpson

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 12:23:47 am »
A Surly Big Dummy fork works well on a Nomad Mk2 frame.  I used that fork on my Nomad last year, because I wanted disc brakes.  I have since put the original fork back on, since I want to carry front panniers.  The Big Dummy fork doesn't have mounts for a front rack.  

http://surlybikes.com/parts/forks/big_dummy_fork

Just remember that if you want to use this fork with the Nomad, you will need to buy the lower crown race for the headset, since the Big Dummy fork does not have a crown race.  The original Nomad fork does have a crown race.  I believe this is the one that I got:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/fsa-headset-orbit-xlii-crown-race-for-1-1-8-inch-prod21533/

The geometry of the Big Dummy fork is very similar to that of the original Nomad fork, but the steerer tube is not as long.  In my case, I used an adjustable stem to raise my handlebars.  (The second photo shows this.)  Note that my handlebars are quite high in these photos.  I have since dropped them about 2 inches.  At the time, I was experimenting with a more upright riding position.  For reference, my Nomad is a 590M, and I am 6"0' tall.

The bright white on the forks and cranks is 3M black reflective tape.  It is black in normal light, but the flash of the camera makes it appear white.

- Dave
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 06:15:05 am by davidjsimpson »

rualexander

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 08:28:22 am »
Good suggestion. This will probably have a lesser effect on the geometry as it has a bigger axle to crown distance than the Disc Trucker fork.
Surly say the Big Dummy can take their Nice front rack http://surlybikes.com/info_hole/spew/getting_the_most_from_your_big_dummy
with some alterations, photos here https://www.flickr.com/photos/surlybikes/sets/72157604004030213
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 08:36:04 am by rualexander »

Relayer

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 11:36:34 am »
Another option might be the Surly Troll fork.  It is 100mm suspension corrected and has more braze-ons than you can throw a stick at ... v-brake and disc brake mounts, mudguard eyelets, low-rider racks, racks over the front wheel, Salsa Anything Cages ... you could probably get a bottle opener mounted on there somewhere too   ;)

sd

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 11:41:47 am »
Nice. But now I will concentrate on selling my bikes! Anyone interested in a Thorn Enduro and Alfine 11 thingy ;-)

SPARSONS

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 10:35:12 pm »
Salsa also do steel forks for disc brakes and with fittings for low riders. As fitted to the Fargo.

brummie

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 08:06:02 pm »
Another option might be the Surly Troll fork.  It is 100mm suspension corrected and has more braze-ons than you can throw a stick at ... v-brake and disc brake mounts, mudguard eyelets, low-rider racks, racks over the front wheel, Salsa Anything Cages ... you could probably get a bottle opener mounted on there somewhere too   ;)

The Troll fork is too long 453mm ( Nomad 430mm?? ) also the Troll offset is 40mm - the Nomad offset may well be different depending on frame size.