Author Topic: adjustable stem  (Read 12373 times)

lewis noble

Re: adjustable stem
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 06:46:07 pm »
Tyreon, I have checked my bike - I fitted the Genetic Quill Adapter, the first of the items in the list posted my Donerol.  That replaced the quill stem that was on the bike, and enabled me to try out 1 1/8" stems.  I currently have quite a steep rising Thorn stem on there, black - it looks out of place but enables me to try the bike out and see how I get on.

The Genetic Adapter looks smart and seems well made.  It is set at the limit line, line (just) not visible, and the stem as high as it will go on the 1 1/8" section while maintaining a good grip over the length of the 'upright' section.  The distance from the top of the big nut at the top of the headset to the bottom of the stem is 85mm.

I reckon the Genetic Adapter gives the greatest rise that is feasible or safe. 

Most 1 1/8" stems are now 'open fronted' I think it is called, so they can be swapped around easily without having to re-thread the bars.

Hope you are able to work something out.

Lewis

tyreon

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 07:43:02 pm »
A picture...maybe

tyreon

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 07:45:23 pm »
That picture took some working out. Wife and I were on this thing for 30 mins. Couldn't send it before cos o the picture being too big GB or MB or something.
Thanks for looking and your comments

Andre Jute

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 09:15:11 pm »
What does your wife use this bike for? Unless it is a strictly sporting bike...

If that were my bike, or for a member of my family, I wouldn't mess around with the stem, I'd bring the grips closer and higher by keeping the stem and swapping in a set of North Road bars, which are like the old Raleigh touring bars. Here's a dealer with inexpensive stock of North Road Bars: http://www.dutchbikebits.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=87 You gain not only reach and height, you win much better ergonomics than you can get with straight or slightly slanted bars.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 09:50:55 am by Andre Jute »

tyreon

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2014, 07:51:37 am »
Thanks for comments Andre. Well,I think we've had the bike for about 30 years,maybe a little less. Think it's a 19" job. It originally had drop bars(dunno how my wife rode it then! Younger,I s'pose!). Some years back I put on the bars,with the new stem(the stems cap is now a cut-down wine bottle cork). It's used for touring. Have just returned from doing the Velo 6 route,Budapest to Ulm. Wife got along with it fine...no complaints. But thinking I know better than her(!),I think her riding position would be a could be a bit better improved by reducing her reach(my wife's reach on her bike is longer than the set up on my bikes: but then again,I have now developed  arthritic disorder)

You will be pleased to hear my wife's getabout-town bike is a more relaxed Dawes shopper,a bit of a sit-up-and-beg job.

The North road bars suggestion I appreciate. But I wonder if the brake levers and gear adjustments would sit comfortably on those bars. Then I would have to take all the gizmos on the bars off. At the same time I wonder if the more relaxed riding option might be a tad too relaxed,putting more weight on her rear and onto her saddle which is a Brooks B17 job.

I might have put more photos on this computer,and better ones explaining the new-improved riding position I propose. Trouble comes in translating those pics to this forum.

I think I'm getting there...tho this might be a delusion. At the moment tho I am beginning to fear and detest my garage from the going to and fro looking and fiddling on this and another bike(a trusted Dutch sprung saddle's just broken. More searching and ordering on this thing.)

I seem to go thru periods like this: all okay with my bikes. Then I want to replace something,or something goes,then I'm out to the garage xxxxxx around for what seems hours....ordering stuff...days go by. Torture.

Andre Jute

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2014, 09:53:00 am »
The curse of the bicyclist: The cascade of escalating events from a "minor adjustment" that leads to buying a whole new bike...

tyreon

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 10:52:14 am »
Some pics...hopefully
I am hoping you can see my wife's bike behind my own Thorn Club Tour.

The red Kynast now has two rebuilt wheels. It's my town bicycle.

There's a posting above Andre's that I should thank. Thanks. I will look at your suggestion. Would thank you by name but I can't work out how to get back to your posting without coming out of this posting. It gets complicated. Or,I'm realizing how simple I am ++

Donerol

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2014, 11:37:03 am »
Have just returned from doing the Velo 6 route,Budapest to Ulm. Wife got along with it fine...no complaints. But thinking I know better than her(!),I think her riding position would be a could be a bit better improved by reducing her reach...

If your wife is happy with it is why change it?

tyreon

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2014, 04:38:45 pm »
Fair comment,Donneral. Answer: Cos I think I can do better??

It's been known in this household that I can alter things at great expense(usually time and effort rather than many ££),to go back to the original setting. Silly and sometimes irksome

tyreon

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2014, 05:42:39 pm »
Lewis: Thought I had replied to your post. If I have,I've now forgotten. Anyways,have ordered the quill to aheadset adaptor as you and Donnerol suggested. Just hope it's the correct length. Ta

Andre Jute

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2014, 06:38:09 pm »
Don't worry about it, Tyreon, a general thanks is a good thanks.

I see on the Kynast that you have North Road bars already... I love that red bike. The late Leonard Setright http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1498543/LJK-Setright.html would have noted it's "maidenly modesty"!

one arm bandit

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2014, 02:20:58 pm »
I've got a Nomad Mk 1 which is definitely overkill for what I do but in the future who knows where I might go. You can dream.  :)
The bike was bought primarily for the rohloff & the stability I felt it gave me. IIRC it has a 105mm 7deg stem which works for me however I get a fierce right shoulder pain after riding for a while, After several days its bad, I mean the type of pain that makes me stop every  few miles for a break and even prescription painkillers can't deal with. I need to take the weight off my shoulder. My right side was damaged in an accident a while back and probably won't improve despite 2.5 years rehab.

In order to help I fitted a thudbuster to reduce jarring and would try front shocks if the Nomad would handle them (I asked Thorn & it won't).  I tried a 45deg (I think) stem and the steering felt decidedly vague so took that off. Rather stupidly I had the steerer cut down a bit too far.

I've not thought of an adjustable stem before but I wonder if one might help alleviate my issue. The idea being to see the optimum stem angle or at the very least ride the bike as 'normal' and when the pain starts move the stem higher.
SJS sell the Humpert one.

Anybody got any better ideas?

Steve

jags

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2014, 02:53:42 pm »
Steve it sound to me like your a tad overstretched .where is your knee in relation to pedal spindle?when crank is horizontal.I'll search out a good video for you on bike fit..adjustable stem will only make you sit more upright which might give you more comfort but i doubt it.
anyway gonna check utube see if we can sort this out. ;)s.

here you go this is very good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh0leyXz840
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 02:56:46 pm by jags »

one arm bandit

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2014, 04:06:10 pm »
Thanks jags. I feel you're right but as the video says its difficult to measure yourself & my wife is anyway for several weeks. :( I'll try asking a mate to help. I don't suffer any knee pain but maybe a bit of lower back pain as the vid suggests.
It might be that once I get that sorted I need a shorter stem but at the same height. I've not used it much but the thudbuster does help a bit although has the disadvantage of putting the seat some way back. I've run out of seat rail to slide forward. Guess I might have to get a sprung saddle instead which opens a new can of worms.

As usual it won't be any one cause.

jags

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2014, 04:45:37 pm »
Steve hard to get it spot on but i find as near enough will do ::)

the B17 brooks is a great saddle and  good rails, i dont think the sprung saddle will give you much rail to play around with.anyway best of luck with it i'm going through torture with back and feet nothing to do with the bike. ;)