Author Topic: pressies tomorrow.  (Read 4721 times)

jags

pressies tomorrow.
« on: December 24, 2015, 05:28:41 pm »
So what pressies are yis hoping to get tomorrow.
i ordered Corrine Cennis bibshorts but fecking things   never arrieved.  :'( :'(
son send me a grand hat from the states .
today i had near enough the  dosh to buy a frame (spa tourer)  but  had to  put it all in the pressies for son daughter and grandkids.

i would but a thorn buy way out of my price range. :o
oh yeah snowed here today .
happy christmas

anto
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 06:42:52 pm by jags »

Andre Jute

Re: pressies tomorrow.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 05:32:08 pm »
Merry Christmas, all. Thanks for good advice and entertainment, and sharing trips and tours.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 07:01:18 pm »
Merry Christmas, to all!

My bicycle present is not really a Christmas present, but an effort to remake the bicycle I inherited from my father. It is a randonneur-touring bike from 1984, a match to my favorite, so I feel I can make some modernizing modifications to it and have decided my "gift" is to take some time to work on it.

Yesterday, I respaced the dropouts from 126mm to 135mm and then reset the dropouts to parallel. Success, as the final measurement is 135.1mm and it is square on my alignment table.

It is outfitted with self-trimming "aero" shift levers attached to a boss atop the top tube, so I will need to fire up the torch to make an adapter to accept conventional downtube shifters (my favorite) in the same mount. There's myriad other little "challenges", but it is proving to be a fun project between rides on my Nomad.

The Nomad is my all-weather bike of choice now, because Oregon is still suffering under the weight of heavy storms. It hasn't been terribly cold, but we've had lots of snow in the mountains, high winds, torrential rains, and now landslides and sinkholes with a lot of treefall and power outages. Snow is predicted for tomorrow and in late January. What better vehicle to traverse this apocalyptic landscape than my faithful Nomad?

Best wishes to all,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 07:14:53 pm »
Hah no new posts everyone must be stuffed to knackered to get to the computer ;D ;D.
well i didn't get any cycling related stuff  new socks and slippers  real sign of getting old .

wont be to long until i drag this wee body up stairs to me cot. night all .

anto.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 08:29:43 pm »
G'nite, Anto, and Merry Christmas.

All the best,

Dan.

geocycle

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 01:44:22 pm »
Hope we are all enjoying Boxing Day. Any bike related presents? I got a carradice cadet bag which is very nice but unfortunately not signed. Raining continuously for two days so no riding around here. Also got more flood warnings in place. Hope everyone else is dry.

jags

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 02:24:52 pm »
lots of rain here spin cancelled again.
hope to get out tomorrow.

John Saxby

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 05:44:52 pm »
Any bike-related presents?

Well, the weather gods gave me 2 hours of warmsunnywindy weather along the north bank of the Ottawa river -- never done that before in late December  :-)   !!??   See post & fotos on "Rides of 2015"

My daughter got a splendid bike book from my wife, Bike Snob NYC, which I pinched yesterday while my daughter was reading the book I gave her.  Funny, defiant, very Noo Yawkish.

Holiday greetings to all, and your nearest and dearest.

Bill C

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 10:51:02 pm »
Any bike related presents? I got a carradice cadet bag

it must be Carradice season, i got a black Lowsaddle longflap, write that anywhere but a bike forum and you'd be banned  ;) signed by Keely
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 10:56:22 pm by Bill C »

jags

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 12:21:14 am »
 ;D ;D ;D true very true ;D

geocycle

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 07:45:21 pm »

it must be Carradice season, i got a black Lowsaddle longflap, write that anywhere but a bike forum and you'd be banned  ;) signed by Keely

Very jealous of you getting a 'Keely'. My Barley is a 'Sue' and I was hoping for a different fabricant of the finest cotton duck. I assume the signature was on the label?

Andre Jute

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 09:18:23 pm »
Ooh, the Carradice snobbery! Three centuries from now those will be in art galleries and curators will be competitively bidding up the contrasting stitching of Keely and Sue.

Bill C

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2015, 09:43:36 pm »

Very jealous of you getting a 'Keely'. My Barley is a 'Sue' and I was hoping for a different fabricant of the finest cotton duck. I assume the signature was on the label?

LOL yes it's on the label, a new style label to me  8) also a new maker,
i have 2 sets of kendall's in green and honey an Audax super c, and a green and honey camper longflap by sue
a saddle roll in green and honey by christine
and a full set of super c panniers f&r and saddle bag pretty sure all by priscilla
and a cadet and camper longflap that were factory seconds name scrubbed out (but i know who cos the marker pen fades  :P )

before you think i'm daft i  bought them knowing they have a good resale value, i'll use them and when i'm finished resell and it will have cost me less in the long run than buying tat gear and binning it

Ooh, the Carradice snobbery! Three centuries from now those will be in art galleries and curators will be competitively bidding up the contrasting stitching of Keely and Sue.

more like 20 years and it will be ebay, have you seen the prices some of the used carradice and brooks go for?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 09:47:51 pm by Bill C »

Andre Jute

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 12:24:37 am »

more like 20 years and it will be ebay, have you seen the prices some of the used carradice and brooks go for?
[/quote]

As long as they wait until I'm dead to pry my Brooks B73 off my cold dead bum, I'm not overly worried about it. And the Brooks is only first because it requires a bit of break-in, which also moves the Rohloff up the list. My Big Apples don't lead the list only because it is inexpensive, easy and fast to replace them.

Coming back to all this talk of bike luggage, my favourite panniers are in fact pannier baskets, open at the top, the Basil Cardiff. I mount them on my stainless Tubus Cosmo rack by their own bent wire hooks, protecting the Cosmo by strips of Velco wrapped around the rack tubing, and tie the bottom of the basket down with a webbing strap (in winter a cut-down IBM Sam Browne for added visibility) to stop it banging over bumps and through potholes. Easily handles a case of wine, which is getting near to the limit for most soft panniers.