Author Topic: Brooks B17 falling apart at rivets  (Read 3819 times)

butcherjms

• Big Sur - riding south through the Americas
Brooks B17 falling apart at rivets
« on: August 31, 2013, 05:52:39 pm »
Hi all

My beloved Brooks B17 has started to fray around the rivets at the back of the saddle, and on one side started to split towards the edge of the saddle (see photo). It looks like it might not be long before it tears completely. It's had 2 years of pretty hard use, although I have looked after it pretty well - tensioning as needed, proofide occasionally and keeping it dry as much as possible.

Only trouble is, I'm currently in Peru with about 8 months more riding to Patagonia. Sending it into Brooks for repair isn't feasible from here, so I'm wondering if anyone has had similar problems and can suggest a fix that might help me to limp to the end of my tour on it?

I'm toying with taking it to a shoe repairer (plenty of those around here and at least they will have needle and thread for leather) and asking them to stitch across the tear, but maybe that's a terrible idea...

Any advice much appreciated!

James
www.big-sur.co.uk

brummie

Re: Brooks B17 falling apart at rivets
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 08:01:34 pm »
A shoe repairer may be a good point of call. Replacing the rivet with a larger one may well provide a fix. ( Great pics on your website BTW ! )

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 07:15:05 pm »
Hi James!

So sorry to hear you've run into problems with the leather on your Brooks saddle cracking 'round the rivets.

In my experience, this can happen when the leather repeatedly gets locally soaked, then dries out too rapidly, causing a loss of essential oils in the leather. Given where you're touring (what fantastic photos on your website -- wow!), I could see something like that happening in the course of regular events. Periodic light coats of Proofide should help in the future, but for now, I think you may have to take more extreme measures.

I managed to field-repair a saddle in similar condition belonging to a friend while we were on-tour. I drilled out the rivet and replaced it with a dome-headed carriage bolt with a nut on the backside. the carriage bolt head allowed me to clamp the leather to the rear flange over a larger area when the leather was too far gone to stand pounding in an oversized Brooks rivet (which was also unavailable at the time/place). I then coated the leather on the worst of one side with the beta-cyanoacrylate (super glue) I always carry and applied a small duct tape overlay. The repair worked well. When the other side advanced to a similar state, we were near a larger town where we could purchase Shoe Goo, intended to repair shoe soles. A similar repair to that corner using Shoe Goo in place of super glue did even better, required no duct tape, and the saddle carried on for a good five years After until my friend tired of touring and sold the bike with the repaired saddle. Yes, it was a bit unsightly, but the repairs held and gave no further trouble.

Perhaps something there will prove helpful to you before the leather chunks out entirely in that corner.

Brooks offer a wide range of replacement saddle hardware, but no replacement leather covers, as I recall.

Very best wishes on your journey; may all good fortune go with you.

Best,

Dan.

il padrone

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 09:41:12 am »
Keep riding it.

My wife's B17 is at least 30 years old and looks worse than this around every rivet. Still riding nicely and she loves that saddle.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 10:07:06 am by il padrone »

butcherjms

• Big Sur - riding south through the Americas
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 05:15:31 am »
Many thanks for your tips chaps! In the end I found a leather craftsman who was able to glue a leather patch over the offending area, which was then secured with a new, over-sized rivet - see photo below.

Not a bad result for the princely sum of £2.50, and will hopefully see me down to Patagonia and beyond. In the meantime, I will try and be more conscientious with the Proofide...

James
www.big-sur.co.uk

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 05:21:22 am »
What wonderful news Jim! A fine-looking repair, given all. Even pretty well matched for color, and it looks sturdy!

Thanks so much for the follow-through in updating us, and know our good wishes will follow you the rest of your trip; may all good come your way.

Best,

Dan.