Author Topic: Adjustable stem  (Read 8754 times)

John Saxby

Re: Adjustable stem
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2015, 02:15:57 am »
many think rafiki refers just to the monkey in The Jungle Book

Lots of words get passed around the lands bordering the Indian Ocean, as people move around--traders, migrants, and so on. I once met a Sikh guy in Tanzania, who spoke of Zanzibar in the old way, the Land of Zanj. (I was in my early 20's, and it sounded impossibly exotic.) "Rafiki" in Zambia sometimes was shortened to "Rafik", just the singular as it were. Travellers carry words and phrases back, sometimes, to places like Ottawa:  I've used the word "katundu" unthinkingly, to refer to a burdensome bundle of stuff that someone's carrying, and as you might expect, they look at me blankly--no fault of theirs. My daughter does the same: things come to a halt for no apparent reason, no-one knows why, and nothing can be done, it seems. (Happens often enough.) Meg might say, "Well, the man with the key has gone to town." Our friends in the Madawaska Hills NW of Ottawa lived for many years in Tanzania. Their house cat is named "Chui" -- maybe to scare off the wildlife.

geocycle

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2015, 07:37:46 am »
I'm always surprised and delighted at how you can learn subsets of language depending on what you are doing. My few words of Swahili and Masai are mainly related to salt lakes, my Turkish to odd numbers as I was making measurements every 2 cm and at one time I was fluent in laboratory French but nothing else! We digress from adjustable stems....

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2015, 08:19:43 am »
Mimi ni vizuri shukrani.  ;D
Brian.

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2015, 08:26:36 am »
After more than 20 years away from E Africa in the family we still commiserate with each other with 'pole', refer to ourselves in Spain as 'mzungus' and call 'hodi' when entering a room. My (big) children are still afraid of 'dudus'. Some things just become part of life!
Brian.

John Saxby

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2015, 03:37:19 pm »
We digress from adjustable stems

Apparently, but..."All things are connected."