Author Topic: Mirrors  (Read 5003 times)

janeh

Mirrors
« on: September 09, 2014, 02:02:29 pm »
Hello,
Does anyone have a Busch and Muller mirror? I need a mirror for when tag along or trailer pulling which needs to attach to the bar end. SJSC seem to have two versions, large and smaller (5.5cm) mirror. Some have a straight stick and some have a bent one and I am not sure of the benefits of these.
Best wishes,
Jane

julk

Re: Mirrors
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 11:26:04 pm »
Jane,
I use the small B&M miror with a short extension fitted into the end of my Thorn comfort bars.
It is quite rigid and does not lose its alignment over a bumpy road.

The short extension allows the mirror to look beyond my arm.
It works well giving me a good idea of what traffic is behind me.
Julian.

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 11:47:43 pm »
I ride almost daily across a footbridge with big pillars both sides. I was finding crossing the bridge a bit expensive in Zefal and B&M mirrors, so I tried an inexpensive Cateye which plugs into the end of the handlebar and can be used either above or below the grip, intending it to be sacrificial. It gives a good view behind. The most important thing about it is that the view is one for one, not distorted in any way, so you can tell how far cars are really behind you. Cheap, less vulnerable, less fragile than some expensive mirrors; in fact, since I fitted the "cheap, sacrificial" mirror, I've had to buy only replacement. The preferred bar-end bolt fixing, not clamped on the handlebar or, yech, velcroed on. Recommended well above clever but fragile Zefal mirrors and also above most Busch & Muller mirrors which I find inadequately developed and unergonomic, and outrageously overpriceds.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cateye-bm-300g-race-mirror-left-or-right-fitting-prod13904/

janeh

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 09:52:43 am »
Thanks, I am not sure I can have a mirror which goes into the end of the bars because my grips are Ergon Gp5's and the bar ends are moulded to the grips. Point taken though of maybe cheaper being just as good. I had a Blackburn Velcro on mirror that I used to put on my drops which worked well. Some of these mirrors have a straight stick and some have a bent one and no one selling them seems to be able to tell me why I would choose one over the other.

Best wishes,
Jane

il padrone

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 01:24:34 pm »
A mate of mine uses this long stem B&M Cyclestar mirror. Mounted easy enough to the bars with the included strap-mount, which will also fit securely to your bar-ends.

However the short-stem model will probably be long enough as well. I keep mine tucked in close, but it is easy enough to set it out wider.

Andre Jute

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 04:31:33 pm »
Some of these mirrors have a straight stick and some have a bent one and no one selling them seems to be able to tell me why I would choose one over the other.

Before I discovered the joys of spending NASA money on Zefal and B&M, I shopped at my LBS, who was eighty years old and from the blacksmith age of bicycle mechanics. He kept only one all-purpose mirror, and I used them for ten or twelve years, until I became a sophisticate. They were quite literally truck mirrors, meant to bolt into the doors of trucks with hinges that stuck out, and to replace the hinge pin. He carried a crude bent steel bracket to attach this thing to the handlebars. The long stem was bent so that you could mount it inboard and from there it would rise gracefully so that it looked backwards past your upper arm and you didn't have to drop your eyes very far.

The bike I fitted it to I bought by telling this old blacksmith, "Get the importer of the best bikes here so I can see his eyes when he lies to me." When the MD appeared, I asked him what was the best bike he had unsold for more than a year because it was overpriced, and after he told me the price, I clutched at my heart and offered him half. It was unsold because it was purple, so he took the deal. When he saw this clunking great big truck mirror the LBS fitted to Peugeot's best and most expensive fillet brazed concoction, he clutched at his heart, said he would never speak to us again, and drove off in his BMW; maybe he was a man of principle after all!

When I moved on to Gazelle and Benelux Trek and Utopia and discovered Thorn bikes, I gave the purple Peugeot to the LBS for goodwill, and he sold it on, and I still see it, still with the last mirror I didn't trash on it, so they last forever in the hands of people who don't enter footbridge abutments with an inch to spare at either side at 45kph.

Of course nobody here would want such a great big clunking possibly two-pound mirror -- okay, maybe an exaggeration, but at least a pound and three-quarters, half the weight of the 30cm Abus Granit-X U-lock. But that's why some mirrors are cranked, to fit on the inboard space of straight bars and North Road bars, and touring and commuter bars, when the plug-end isn't available, nor any semi-outboard space as on drops, illustrated above by Il Padrone.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 03:51:25 am by Andre Jute »

janeh

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 09:17:24 pm »
Thanks for the pics. The short stick version may well be fine for me.

Jane

il padrone

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 10:52:45 pm »
Yes, Andre has the correct reason - the long-stem mirrors are curved to sweep the mirror past your fore-arm from a straight bar in-board positon, while allowing more room for your hand/arm.

David Simpson

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 10:58:38 pm »
On the topic of mirror placement, it is possible to mount a bar-end mirror on the end of bar end (instead of on the bars themselves), if the bar ends are similar in cross-section to the bars. That's what I have done. Instead of using the Ergon 5 grips (that include bar ends), I use the Ergon 1 with regular metal tube bar ends. My mirror is a Mirrycle mirror:
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mirrycle-mountain-mirrycle-mirror-for-straight-handlebars-prod13144/

This post has a photo of my bars:
    http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=9029.msg62409#msg62409

There are many places to attach a mirror to a bike, depending on your bar type and your riding style. It's one of those areas where "out-of-the-box" thinking is useful.

- Dave

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 04:42:34 pm »
There are many places to attach a mirror to a bike, depending on your bar type and your riding style. It's one of those areas where "out-of-the-box" thinking is useful.

- Dave

Never a truer word was said, Dave! Trouble is, all of that "out-of-the-box" thinking has left me with probably 8 or 10 brand new mirrors "in a box" that didn't fit the bill!  :-[

My bars are similar to Thorn comfort bars, and the sweep back, while comfortable to ride, puts the ends of the bar too far back to take a bar-end mirror without a long stalk, which I find gets in the way whenever I need to lean the bike on a wall or fence. I'm currently using a B&M short-stalk mirror clamped to the forward reach of my Ergon GP2 grips, which is ok for placement, but not a particularly sturdy solution.

Anton i(sorry! I meant Andre!) s absolutely right - the B&M mirrors are overpriced and badly designed. The plastic bar clamps strip way too easily and can't be sufficiently tightened. The ball joint at the back of the mirror is non-adjustable for tension, and non-removable for replacement. The one plus is the excellent optics.

Mirrors are a bain of existence for me. I'm either going to lengthen my bar ends (I have spare pair of GP3s, although I like Dave's thinking about the alloy ends), or drill out my current ends (which I think you can do without affecting the grip's clamping of the bar) and insert a Mirrycle like Dave's ( one of the spares in the box). I'll post the results in due course.

Sam
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 10:48:32 pm by Slammin Sammy »

Andre Jute

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 04:59:50 pm »
My bars are similar to Thorn comfort bars, and the sweep back, while comfortable to ride, puts the ends of the bar too far back to take a bar-end mirror without a long stalk, which I find gets in the way whenever I need to lean the bike on a wall or fence.

One thing about the cheap Cateye 300G is that it is extremely relaxed about where you plug it in or into what kind of bars. I plug mine into full North Road bars, swept back at about 45 degrees, at which point of course it interferes with the heel of my hand on the short right hand grip for the Rohloff gear change. But who said you have to use it above the bar? A bit of lateral thinking, starting with the observation that it is probably the largest circular bicycle mirror, and I simply reversed the mirror in the fitting by twisting it around on the ball, and use it upside down, under the bar, where my fingers in thick leather dress gloves fit fine. The thing is so big, you just need a glance down to see a decent view of the road behind. And under the bar it is better protected. I also operate mine fairly loose, so any knock just pushes it under the bar, where it is protected. I reset it every time I ride, because when I park it the mirror side leans against the wall, and brushes a wainscot rail when I operate the n'lock and the handbars swing around loose, but that is just a matter of reaching down, hand still on the bars, with a couple of fingers behind it and tilting it into position, which makes it the only mirror I know that can be adjusted without taking your hand off the grip. All for five or six quid; the last bargain in cycling.

Anton is absolutely right - the B&M mirrors are overpriced and badly designed.

Welcome to the forum, Anton.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 01:44:50 am by Andre Jute »

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 10:52:09 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Anton.

;D :D ;D

Serves me right for posting when bleary-eyed at 2:00am!  :-[