Author Topic: Tubes for Marathon Supremes 26 x 1.6  (Read 1938 times)

lewis noble

Tubes for Marathon Supremes 26 x 1.6
« on: September 06, 2014, 07:06:08 pm »
I have swapped my tyres from Duremes (26 x 2) to Supremes 1.6, as the bulk of my riding over the next few weeks is going to be lightly loaded on roads.  Will keep the Duremes for heavier and muddier times.

I assumed that the same tubes would fit OK, Schwalbe tubes with fitting sizes listed from 1.5 to 2.1.  But they seemed much too fat to fit comfortably in the tyre, and very difficult to fit without pinching the tube.  So I put some Conti tubes in, will fit up to 1.3 according to the box.  They were all I could get hold of, bike shop said they would be OK and better than too large a tube. 

I must say that the Schwalbe products seem better made, better finished valve.  What size (preferably in Schwalbe) do people recommend for that size tyre??

Lewis

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Tubes for Marathon Supremes 26 x 1.6
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 07:27:17 pm »
on this page:

http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/marathon_supreme

it appears that Schwalbe recommends the same inner tube for those two different widths of tires.

Rockymountain

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 08:21:32 pm »
I've ridden 1.6 and 2.0 on my Nomad with the same tubes. They fit fine.

lewis noble

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 03:36:20 pm »
Thanks Jim and Rocky.

Problem solved.  I tried the 'proper' size Schwalbe tubes again, and, with the tyres fitting much more easily 2nd time round, they went in OK with no risk of pinching, as the tyre went over the last bit of the rim more easily - still tricky but OK. 

First impressions of the new tyres on a short round the block spin? Very light and fast, bike more lively feeling. 

So, now I have a pair of Conti tubes that the bike shop insisted I needed! 26", up to 1.3 tyres. Put in a tyre and pumped up to pressure, but not ridden on.  Great care taken to avoid pinching.  No other bike in my family they will fit in.

Free to a good home, in recognition of the advice I have had from the Forum.  Anyone interested pm me.

Lewis