Author Topic: Dynamo system problems  (Read 5172 times)

julian

Dynamo system problems
« on: December 03, 2003, 08:05:36 pm »
I have B&M Lumotec front and rear running off a Nordlicht 2000. Has always worked well but suddenly only the standlight comes on (faintly) when the front wheel stops turning. I don't know if it's the main bulb or a wirinf fault or some other problem. Does anyone have any ideas?

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
Re: Dynamo system problems
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2003, 11:14:53 pm »
Sounds like a bad earth, is the dynamo double wired orare you getting the earth back through the frame? Also are you running front only (with a 3w bulb) or a rear as well (2.4w bulb)?

drossall

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2004, 12:23:41 am »
Had a similar problem with the same set-up. Drives me nuts. Fitting a new bulb worked for a bit but then the same again.

In my case it was the bulb not making contact with the centre copper tab in the light. I bent the latter forward and hey presto! Seems like the standlight only comes on if there is no current - ie the bike's not moving - which seems fair enough. However, obviously current is reaching the light or it would not charge the standlight.

Recently the whole thing just fell to bits. In fairness I damaged it a bit opening it once, but I don't think the lighting reliability is my fault. I am looking for a better standlight.

luceberg

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2004, 01:01:56 am »
Try putting a dab of Vaseline on all the connection points. It's brilliant at stopping corrosion.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 01:03:18 am by luceberg »

drossall

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2004, 02:15:55 am »
Don't think it was corrosion. I think the contact bends so that it does not touch.