Author Topic: Drivetrain Wear  (Read 3003 times)

Beave

Drivetrain Wear
« on: August 07, 2006, 05:45:50 am »
Hello all,

Just wondering what I should be looking for when determining the correct interval to change my front chainring, a 40T FSA.
Also, I was running a SRAM PC-48 (or 58?) chain but it only lasted 700 miles. I've upgraded to the PC-68 in hopes of longer life. What kind of chains are favored by you fellow Rohloff'ers??

Last question; I have the cog-wear indicator for the rear sprocket; What kind of lifespans are you all getting; Mine is a 16T.

Thanks for any imput!

Craig

redcogs

Re: Drivetrain Wear
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 04:42:36 pm »
Please see topic entitled 'sprocket reversing problem anyone?'.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 08:08:18 am »
Beave

What conditions do you ride under i.e. all off road / all on road / a mix.

I ride predominately on road with a SRAM 68 I have got ~ 2500 miles on the chain and it has worn less than 1/32 so far.  I soak and clean my chain about every 500 miles.  My lube of choice is Rohloff.

Beave

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 12:15:21 am »
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll keep an eye out for the "wave" and sure hope my chain lasts as long as yours, Stutho. I commute on roads during the week and ride recreational trails on the weekends.

Thanks again,

Beave

Team Triplet

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 05:15:49 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Beave

Hello all,

Just wondering what I should be looking for when determining the correct interval to change my front chainring,
Last question; I have the cog-wear indicator for the rear sprocket; What kind of lifespans are you all getting; Mine is a 16T.

I have run myine now for over 2 years.  All I have done so far is adjusted the chain tension and in doing so removed one link.  I have done over 6000 miles and the front chain is well shagged, but it still rides.  

I have ridden mainly on road, however my routine cycle commute is off road mostly across an estate track which gets very wet and muddy in winter causing chain lub to wash off and or muck get clogged giving a nice grinding paste.  I am not into checking chains with special tools.  I change chains when the barrels start splitting.  With a Rohloff you can get away with pretty worn gear.

One thing to remember is that whilst your chain may last as long or longer then a deraileur system, don't forget that the your chain ring and sprocket is doing the work of 3/5 so to have have pretty worn out chain ring after 6000 miles is no surprise - a 3 ring front chainset on that basis would need changing very 15K miles, in my case every 4 to 6 years rather then about 2 years.