Author Topic: New Stablemate for Raven  (Read 12600 times)

ahconway

New Stablemate for Raven
« on: July 08, 2006, 07:57:41 am »
Okay, this may not be strictly kosher, but I can't resist posting about my latest velo-purchase! While my Raven AT is a go-anywhere, go-anydistance marvel, this one is strictly for around town, and no less exciting in a utilitarian way!

It's a Christiania trike, built up to carry our two kids and whatever groceries, recycling, and miscellanea we need to haul around.

It won't arrive for a couple weeks, but here's my daughter on a rainy day in one just like it:

I've opted for an 8-speed Shimano transmission with a coaster brake; it would have been lovely to have a Rohloff here too, but the hub brake is essential. If it turns out that I need greater range in the future, I might plump for a Schlumpf! There's a full spec on my blog at http://andrewbikes.blogspot.com/2006/07/christiania-trike-ordered.html ,

and more pictures on Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahconway/tags/christiania/ .

- Andrew C
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 08:30:53 am by ahconway »

PH

Re: New Stablemate for Raven
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 05:11:48 pm »
That looks so much fun, both for rider and passenger[:D]
I had a short go on something similar at the York Rally a couple of years ago, the steering is going to take you a bit of getting used to.

ahconway

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 08:28:45 pm »
Excellent observation! But it's not just the steering that takes getting used to. The steering on its own is quite fun and novel; it has a very tight turning circle, which is particularly useful when reversing direction in a small space. Turning at speed, though, is another story! My first time I went up on two one wheel (ok, two including the rear one) and nearly toppled over. I've become much better at it now that I've mastered the art of leaning into the turn.

More strange, though, is riding along a road with an adverse camber, which necessitates leaning into the road constantly. I doubt that I'd actually fall over, but it feels that way.

The one pictured is just a loaner, but I understand that our very own trike has just arrived from Denmark, so we'll pick it up after holidays!

hoogie

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 08:31:24 am »
that is so cool!

i had a kiddy trailer that i towed my daughter around in many year ago ... she is 15 now, but i still show her the photos ...

enjoy your time out with your kids!