Author Topic: Which Rohloff model?  (Read 3720 times)

banana

Which Rohloff model?
« on: June 04, 2006, 09:33:59 pm »
Excuse me if this has been asked before. Until yesterday I'd never heard of this Rohloff hub gearing...

I intend to have an off road frame custom built for me in the UK, specced for XT/XTR components and Hope mono mini disk brakes. The idea of gearing this bike with the Rohloff 500/14 is very appealing but I must say I'm confused by the different models available - even after reading the notes on the Rohloff web pages.

Which of the many types of hub would be the preferred choice in my situation?

Thanks for any advice.

mwhapples

Re: Which Rohloff model?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 11:18:50 pm »
Your choice is simplified by the fact you want to fit disc brakes, must be a db version. I can't remember off-hand if quick release is the only version for the db version, or if there is a touring screw one as well. If you are having the frame built specifically for the rohloff, then have a suitable drop out used to allow you to use the oem version, then wheel removal and replacement is simplified. Also if you use the ex mech then this also makes wheel removal easy, and also removes those 0.9mm internal cables (I think the ex is the only version for the db models). Another thing you may want to use is the eccentric bottom bracket in your frame, then you don't need horizontal dropouts, and chain tension is very easy to set. Then there is the finish, silver, black, red, choose whatever takes your fancy.

When I got my raven discovery I was amazed at the simplicity of everything related to the rohloff hub, but I feel part of the simplicity is due to having a frame designed correctly to take advantages of all of these things, so make sure that the frame builder is thinking about these things as well, or you will need to choose different options on the hub.

From
Michael Whapples

mwhapples

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 11:42:51 pm »
Forgot to mention what needs to be done for a oem vertical dropout, it is just the left dropout has to be longer to take the mini torque arm, and also strong enough to take that torque. Otherwise you would need a retrofit version where you would need to secure a torque arm to the chainstay.

So if your frame is as I said you probably would want a cc-db-oem-ex (maybe those come in different order, and all those stated parts of the code may not be needed as the disc option may choose them) speedhub, colour up to you. Drop the oem if standard dropouts are used. All the option only specify the outer design, the gear system is the same.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 01:54:39 pm »
Unfortunately the hub you require is dependent on how the frame is designed.  This is not straightforward. Any frame can be used with a Rohloff Speedhub BUT you will get MUCH better results with a frame that is designed for the Speedhub.

Frame Option 1 (The best option) is to have Rohloff specific dropout and an eccentric bottom bracket(EBB). This is how the Thorn design there bikes.
Rohloff hub required is Rohloff Speedhub 500/14 CC DB OEM

Frame Option 2 is to have the sliding version of the Rohloff specific dropout. No need for an EBB.
Rohloff hub required is Rohloff Speedhub 500/14 CC DB OEM

Frame Option 3 (The worst option)is a standard frame with a gear hanger.  With This option you will have to use a chain tension device and either the torque arm or the speedbone - mounts to the disk brake.  (Please don't use this option.  It works but is a long way from perfect)
(torque arm) Rohloff hub required is Rohloff Speedhub 500/14 CC DB
(speedbone) as above + the speedbone

(please check these numbers and forgive any mistakes)

Each of these Speedhubs is quick release and is available in sliver, black or red.

Get the frame right and use option 1!  Before you part with and cash have a GOOD look at both the Thorn Raven Catalyst and the Thorn Raven Enduro both of these bikes were designed with the Rohloff speedhub in mind.  Anyone who owns a Raven will tell you there is MUCH more to the bikes than just the speedhub.

(just for the record no I don’t work for Thorn or SJSCycle)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 03:00:07 pm by stutho »

billj

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 11:20:10 pm »
I couldnt agree more with the comments.

Get the frame built with Eccentric BB (this is standard and well proven technology on tandems) and rohloff specific dropouts.

This gives maximum advantage of the rohloff...very simple and elegant and VERY nice to ride and reliable.

Also for off road bike you can get the chainstays up to an inch or so shorter as they can be spread wider on the BB shell cos you dont need space for three front cogs.  This makes the bike a hill climbing demon.