Author Topic: Front racks with bottle dynamo  (Read 4634 times)

mwhapples

Front racks with bottle dynamo
« on: May 19, 2006, 09:21:30 pm »
I'm looking for a front rack for my raven discovery which will not get in the way of my bottle dynamo. Low riders should be OK, but I remember finding something about the Thorn mid loaders, and in that information it seemed like they are meant to be better. So would a mid loader get in the way of the dynamo? Also are these benifits of the mid loader really much of an improvement? I ask that as it seems to be only Thorn that do mid loaders, so why haven't others followed. If so, then I will need to look at low riders, how do the different ones compare? I am looking at the Tubus ones and the Thorn ones. The Tubus ones are a bit cheaper, but seem to be still very highly spoken of from what I have found on the internet, so is there anything better about the Thorn ones to justify the extra cost?

Thanks for any help,
Michael

PH

Re: Front racks with bottle dynamo
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 03:22:48 pm »
I have a Tubus front rack, I forget which model, it’s the one with the hoop over the wheel.  Although I don’t use a bottle dynamo, the rack wouldn’t stop me fitting one.  If I was buying now, I’d be tempted by the Surly rack, have a look on Wiggle.  Dearer than either Thorn or Tubus, it offers more options.  High or low pannier positions, plus a rack above the wheel.

mwhapples

Re: Front racks with bottle dynamo
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 11:07:48 pm »
I was guessing that a low rider will be likely to fit. My concern is more to do with if I were to use the Thorn mid loader and it not getting in the way of the dynamo.

I probably need to explain a bit more, I am a visually impaired tandem stoker, and so cannot see the pictures of the different racks. Why I have this concern with the front rack and bottle dynamo, is that my dynamo is fitted on the front of the fork, and sticks out to possibly just above the bottom rack fitting on the fork, so would guess that it is going to be above most of the rack, so anything rising above the mid fork rack fitting on the rear section of the rack will possibly just get in the way.

While the surly rack looks good, it's just out of my budget, I think the Thorn ones are stretching my budget but I would have to confort myself with the thought that it would be something that would last.

Michael