Author Topic: I have a Sherpa; would an Audax better suit my needs?  (Read 12231 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: I have a Sherpa; would an Audax better suit my needs?
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2013, 06:20:08 pm »
Done.

Ad and all look good, Anto. Very best of luck!

Dan.

jags

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2013, 07:16:18 pm »
Thanks Dan. ;)

rualexander

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2013, 10:57:05 pm »
The audax is a great bike and I'm very happy with mine. I have both forks and 4 sets of tyres ranging from 25mm two different 28mm compounds and 32mm Schwalbe supremes. I just change those for different riding.

Glad to help and happy shopping!
Philb,
Do your 32mm Supremes fit ok with mudguards on your mk3?

jags

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2013, 09:27:11 pm »
Will the audax mk3 except 10 speed drivetrain ,some nice chainsets to be had on chainreaction but the ones i fancy are all 10 speed.

Philb

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2013, 10:04:32 pm »
I haven't tried the Supremes with mudguards and to be honest I wouldn't. There is not enough clearance to my mind. I have them for summer touring tyres, but the summers are pretty reliable here!

jags

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2013, 10:52:45 pm »
What about the Kojak ;)

jags

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2013, 11:07:20 pm »
Ok lads i'm having no luck selling my beloved sherpa so should i just go with selling the frame set, at least if i got a sale on that i would still have the groupset for the new baby  ;)
and i would 3 wheels for sale as well.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2013, 01:08:49 am »
Well, jags...

Given the overall fine condition of your components, you could likely transfer your...
• Bottom bracket
• Crankset/chainrings
• Pedals
• Chain (if shortened)
• Cassette
• Front derailleur
• Rear derailleur
• Stem
• Handlebars
• Brifters (brake lever/shfter combo)
• Seatpost
• Saddle
• Accessories (bike computer, GPS, tool bag, etc).

You would have to acquire...
• New brakes (calipers of some sort; your cantis won't fit)
• Either new wheels (complete) or new rims and spokes relaced on your existing hubs (and add the labor for same)
• New tires (700C instead of 26in)
• New tubes
• New rim strips
• New mudguards
• New cables/cable housing
• Probably a new headset. I've found the alloy cups will *sometimes* distort slightly on removal and then cause problems when reinstalled. Not every time and it is rare in my experience, but it happens often enough that I just sort of mentally figure on a new one even if the old headset is in good shape. If the old 'set is worn, then there's no question; I replace it as a matter of course. In the end, it is a very inexpensive way to avoid mysterious and nasty handling problems.

As someone who enjoys building wheels, I'd go that route (though spokes and rims can really add up even with free labor and reused hubs), but if I had to *pay* to have new ones built (or bought them pre-made), that tips the equation farther away from trying to transfer the parts, as AndyBG so sagely observed. As he also mentioned, all those little ancillary items add up -- tires, too; ones of good reputation aren't inexpensive. Of the things you'll need, I think it is the wheel cost that will hit you hardest after the frame. I kinda hate to see the dynohub go, 'cos it is about half what you need to keep your nifty new phone reliably charged and possibly powered as you ride; you'd need a charger and perhaps a buffer battery as well, depending on your use and requirements.

If you don't have enough spares on hand to do the swap out of available stock, then I must agree with Andy; it's going to add up -- perilously close to the cost of a complete bike. I agree with him, looking at the (to me, on this side of the Atlantic, staggering) levels of depreciation on used bikes where you are, then yes about half original price for everything is a realistic figure for the Sherpa's parts. If SJS Cycles happened to have a special price on an Audax frame or perhaps even a demo bike or one that had been turned in, then the tables tip more in your favor, but building up a frame with *new* parts is expensive, and can still be expensive even if you do a transplant of many of them.

I suppose the ideal from a cost standpoint would be to buy a complete Audax at a good price while you still had the Sherpa, then swap parts between them so the Audax was configured with your favorite components, then the Sherpa could be sold on as a nice complete bike for someone who didn't already have a particular parts spec in mind. Trouble with that is these are two bikes with essentially different missions -- a lighter weight, sprightly do-all versus a bike that's a great all-'rounder with heavy touring capability. Swapping parts between is likely to dilute the Sherpa a bit for the next buyer.

Hmm. Here's a thought: Could you swap the 700C wheels from your Raleigh into an Audax as needed, perhaps with a tire and cassette change? Yes it would be a hassle when changing bikes, but I got by doing that for awhile and it did give me the benefit of two bikes at much lower cost till I could afford (to build) a second set of wheels. As for touring on fairly light 700C wheels, I never had any problem and found running wide(r) tires on light/narrow rims made for a more touring-durable wheelset than I might have expected.

Just thinking aloud and trying for ways to make this more possible for you...

All the best,

Dan.

rualexander

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2013, 08:22:58 am »
New frame & forks comes with a headset and with a seatpost so no need to budget for them.

jags

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2013, 11:06:58 am »
Quich question las and many thanks for the replys  ;)
is 450euro a good price for my sherpa.if i sell any less that that i will struggle to but audax frame.

jags

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2013, 11:20:33 am »
Dan i'm not to worried about parts to be honest i reckon my biggest expensive would be new  wheels and yes i would need a dynamo up front thats a must.
all the groupset on the sherpa is as good as new.so a quick change from one bike to other will do me fine. i love the xt crankset and rear mech  great range of gears.
yeah to be honest i think i will go the frame set route and keep all my gear  so what if i dont sell i still have a great bike.
thanks lads i will probable keep changing my mind on this but for now the sherpa is no longer for sale frame set yes if i get what i want for it.

jags.

janeh

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2013, 11:33:01 am »
I have a brilliant idea. If you have trouble selling the bike, what you need to do is take her for a ride fully loaded and keep her like that for a couple of weeks. Then, unload her, take all the racks off and put narrow tyres on, she'll ride like a dream and you'll feel like you DO have a new bike!

My bike always feels a lot lighter after touring, especially after last time when I had a child in tow..

Jane

jags

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2013, 01:03:48 pm »
HI Jane ,been down that road  many a time.
the tyres do make a hugh difference in ride quality i found  after trying lots of tyres that supreams are by far the best.

janeh

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2013, 02:52:57 pm »
Oh dear never mind. The Audax does look like a lovely bike..

peter jenkins

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2013, 12:04:59 pm »
Hi Jags,

This is probably a silly question, but does SJS have a 'trade in' (I think it's called 'part exchange' over there?) program?

You'd think it would work for them to offer you a reasonable price for your Sherpa (albeit slightly less than you'd get for a private sale) then sell it at a small profit and at the same time sell you a brand new Audax.

It would be a win win win situation:

You have the convenience of a quick sale and purchase of the coveted Audax
SJS profit from the sale of 2 Thorn bikes - one new and one used
Some lucky punter buys a used Thorn sold and serviced by SJS

Cheers,

pj (who would also like a MK3 instead of his Club Tour)