Author Topic: Rusty Raven  (Read 15323 times)

stutho

• Administrator
Rusty Raven
« on: December 20, 2005, 03:42:38 pm »
I recently purchased a second hand raven (from SJS.)  Unfortunately there seams to be a large amount of rust inside the seat tube.  Is there any way to remove rust from the inside of the tubes - before I use Waxoyl.

Thanks

tynevalleycommuter

Re: Rusty Raven
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 05:22:19 pm »
Seat tube may be relatively easy - you could try a rotary wire brush or abrasive wet & dry paper type 'flapper'on the end of a long flexible extension shaft. Other tubes would be harder to get into! The seat tube is probably the most vulnerable anyway as it is potentially the most open to the elements -

Follow that with some Jenolite (phosphoric acid)- available from auto spares places - which is supposed to turn the rust back into something stable which can be overpainted - before using the waxoyl.

I have never actually tried this on a bike frame, but this is based on working on old cars many years ago (when they used to rust a lot more than they do today!)

Best of luck!

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 09:31:46 am »
Thanks for the advice Tyne Valley. Unfortunately I get the feeling that there is rust in some of the other tubes as well.   There is some in the head tube - not to bad, can’t see down the other tubes.  

The outside of the frame is in perfect condition!  It is hard to understand how it can be so bad on the inside.

Thanks again

Stutho

graham

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 07:54:17 pm »
By way of reassurance, rust is supposed to have about ten times the volume of the iron from which it came. So it probably looks a lot worse than it is.

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 03:46:44 pm »
Cover a rag in 3in1 stuff it down the seat tube and drag it out the bottom bracket, alot of the rust may just be some shot that hasn't been completely removed from the frame.  Then just spray some cavity wax into the tubes.

paulhipwood

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 05:00:47 pm »
I have just bought a second hand Raven Tour Sport.
I think I will have a look down my seat tube!!!!
What about the tubes you cannot see!!!!

The only consolation is when you remove the rust you are getting a lighter bike for nothing.
Go easy on the Waxoil - don't add too much weight.

Apart from the rust are you enjoyng the bike?
I have just came back from 40 odd mile ride to Malvern, absolutly lovely ride much better than work and the bike felt great.

paul

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 12:26:39 pm »
Well I used some waxoyl - looking at it again I don't think the rust is that much of an issue.  There is some rust there but it doesn’t look like its going to destroy the frame any time soon.

The bike is great especially the frame  ( - the rust ) compared to my trek 7700 the frame is MUCH more compliant and absorbs everything.  In short very comfortable.

Thanks to everyone who posted

Stuart

ají

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 09:28:35 am »
has anyone tried using fish oil to internally prevent rusting frames?

silverdorking

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 10:59:35 am »
Yep! Find omega3 reduces creaking in my frame.

ají

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 11:25:07 am »

nice one silver dorking but i was thinking of rust protection not creaking

« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 11:26:50 am by ají »

mickeg

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 12:38:15 pm »
Several years ago I bought a used Bridgestone that had been stored outside for over a decade.  The homeowner wanted $5 USD for each of two bikes stored in the back yard from when his kids moved out.  The reason I know it had been stored outside that long is that the homeowner had to get a saw out to cut down the 2 inch (~5 cm) diameter tree that had grown up through the frame for me to retrieve the bike.

There was a lot of rust in the frame.  I did not try to remove the rust.  Instead I assumed that applying Framesaver would soak into the rust to get down to the rust/solid metal interface to protect it from further damage.  Great errand bike, I still store it outside.

When I bought my Nomad Mk II with S&S Couplers, I was surprised to see a piece of tape inside the head tube that sealed off the top and down tubes.  I removed the tape so that I could apply Framesaver in all tubes, but I put a new piece of tape in afterwards to prevent water that gets into the head tube from getting into the top and down tubes.  I think this tape was a great idea.

A friend of mine works at a bike charity that accepts old bikes as donations and fixes them up.  He believes that water can get into the downtube from the water bottle cage bolts from capillary action.  I think he suspects this based on damage he has seen over the years on older poorly maintained bikes.  I usually grease water bottle cage bolts, not sure if that will keep water out but it might reduce it.

Some time back, maybe a year or two ago, someone posted on this forum that his S&S coupled Thorn (I do not recall which model) had internal rust in the downtube above the S&S coupler.  His comment was that water had gotten into the downtube and did not have a way to get out.  When I read that I was glad that I put Framesaver in my Nomad and also glad that I put the tape back in on the headtube.

I was not aware that this forum existed over a decade ago until now.  This is the oldest post I ever saw.

ají

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 12:50:19 pm »
frame saver saves the day!

jags

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 03:23:25 pm »

nice one silver dorking but i was thinking of rust protection not creaking

Good reply tho Aji ;D ;D

Andre Jute

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 09:31:45 pm »
Great to see you around, Stu!

jags

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2017, 11:10:17 pm »
my son rides my Raleigh 753 must be 30 years old by now not a sigh of rust anywhere on the frame.
when  we put this new Audax together  we greased every bolt and bearings with Phil Wood grease  if it lives up to it's reputation i'll never get rust on my bike.
mind you i do keer the new baby inside cleaned after every spin  ;)

anto.