Author Topic: Raven Tour with Discs?  (Read 5100 times)

TheWalkman

Raven Tour with Discs?
« on: August 01, 2005, 01:01:14 am »
Would anyone like to see a Raven Tour with disc brakes or am I the only person?  (I know, I know,  baggage handlers can damage rotors, etc, etc.)  

A touring bike with a rock-solid Rohloff and a set of Avid mechanical brakes for wet weather and steep downhills seems like the ultimate touring machine to this rider.

What do you think?

Stijn

Re: Raven Tour with Discs?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 06:59:40 pm »
Dito, count me in.

Throw in a front suspension fork.

By the way baggage handlers can damage a rim too, then what? Better to take a spare disk rotor I think.

By the way why are you walking man? :-)

Ratty

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 02:19:11 pm »
Me three!

Better yet find a way to upgrade raven tours without discs to avoid me buying a new bike - not ganna happen.

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 03:30:15 pm »
@ the risk of this turning into a large scale debate here goes..

We don't recomend disc brakes for touring as we have yet to see a Disc brake which dosn't fail on long decents (belive me we have tried everything!). So we dont make a touring bike with disc mounts.  We are not trying to be difficult we would love for discs to exist which didn't overheat but we have to sell things which are fit for their purpose.

Dave Whittle SJSC

Ratty

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 06:52:30 pm »
if such a disk did become available would you be able to retro-fit them?

Why do they fail?

Do they heat up?

What constitutes a long decent? Why don't mountain bikers have problems?

Anthony

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 11:19:36 pm »
They generaly overheat because touring cycles brake gradually down very long decents with very heavily loaded bikes, overheating causes pad material to seperate from the backing, discouloration and extreme warping of the disc, brake fluid boiling and in extreme cases caliper seals and disc hoses melting, and this does happen we have seen and done it.

Mountain bikers generally hammer down decents even pedaling in most cases and use brakes for short periods of time and to come to a halt or in emergencies, they fail on mountain bikes too and you fall off, but its all part of the fun!

We would anticipate that the size of disc and caliper needed to absorb all the heat of a fully laden touring bike would need the brakes of a motorbike and would be far too heavy to fit to a cycle, probably why we haven't included mounts on the tour etc, as we can't see a time when they will ever be a practical option.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 11:20:50 pm by Danger Mouse »

TheWalkman

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 11:45:46 pm »
Mouse,

May I assume these problems are consistent with mechanical discs (ex. Avids) also?

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2005, 11:44:19 pm »
Yes.