Author Topic: touring/enduro riding with a rohloff  (Read 4479 times)

dave

touring/enduro riding with a rohloff
« on: May 23, 2005, 03:45:32 pm »
have read a lot on mtbr website about touring/enduro with rohloff. anyone on this forum done any? what was rohloff like on long distance/enduro? any good/did you miss derailleurs/how did rohloff perform/would you use rohloff for long distance again/anything you didnt like about using it etc etc? Cass Gilbert used it for some long trip or other has he posted review anywhere (has anyone)?

daisy

Re: touring/enduro riding with a rohloff
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 09:19:34 pm »
I've ridden a couple of Enduros with the Rohloff & also the Builth Wells round of the Merida series with Derailleurs for comparison...derailleirs were fine 'til we hit a very muddy section, gear changing was v. unpredictable...riders were cleaning their bikes in the streams to get their gears functioning again ! Rohloff is the future now, it does take a little time to adapt...another great thing is when riders in front force you to stop on a technical section, you can just change gear whilst stationary & pedal off!

Pedaldog

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 10:34:06 am »
Wossa flavour if, for instance, I was in India and the Rohloff went out for lunch. Would the local do anythings be able to get me running as easily as they would with a derailleur?

sarissa

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 12:17:26 am »
I've just returned from an organized MTB tour (550km in 9 full and 2 half days on hard pack/sandy/stony track) using my nearly new Raven Enduro. We had our luggage transported from camp to camp so I can't comment on its load carrying capability. It behaved faultlessly - apart from a 5 second adjustment at the external gear connector, when the other 11 conventional geared/v-brake bikes were being endlessly fiddled with to keep a full(ish) range of gears operating - I now count myself a committed advocate. Repairing p***t***s at the rear is also a breeze. Wheeled it through a couple of deeper rivers as well with no sign of water ingress. My advice? - go for the rohloff, you won't regret it.

Magnus Thor

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 08:02:39 pm »
I did a 700+km tour this summer on my Raven Catalyst, on tarmac and gravel and it performed beutifully.  I was towing a BOB so I don't know how it would have behaved fully loaded with panniers but I've commuted on it quite a bit carrying groceries and it's felt very stable.

lo_toad

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 10:28:00 pm »
Hi,

I have done 5000km (To Istanbul) fully loaded on my Raven Tour over the summer and the Rohloff was faultless! - Only small problem was eccentric BB came loose once, but I should have been checking it more often anyway!

All the best,

James.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 10:34:52 pm by lo_toad »