Author Topic: Saddles Thread?  (Read 91204 times)

Andre Jute

Re: Saddles Thread?
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2013, 07:33:38 pm »
hobbes where does your mind be  ;D ;D ::)
Vegemite is better though, :o

See how disrespect to The Marmite opens the door to heresies?

jimmer

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2013, 10:07:26 pm »
Dear All,

The Marmite "ratio", that golden mean. A good depth spread in relation to bread thickness. If your mouth isn't numbed you've not got enough.

Everyone, go and try marmite and peanut butter on hot buttered toast, now.

Yours, James

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2013, 11:10:34 pm »
Dear All,

The Marmite "ratio", that golden mean. A good depth spread in relation to bread thickness. If your mouth isn't numbed you've not got enough.

Yours, James

Crunchy or smooth?
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2013, 11:12:12 pm »
Would if I could!

Hmm. French for "pot" or "vessel". That doesn't seem right with peanut butter and toast.
If your mouth isn't numbed you've not got enough.
Eek!

Ah! A spread. Not unlike Vegemite, it seems.

For those of us in the former Colonies who have never tasted Marmite...can you *describe* the taste of same? Is there anything similar to serve as a taste analog? I know Vegemite, and have tasted it. Not bad. Marmite, from what Wikipedia tell me, is similar but...saltier? It looks darker and more syrupy in the photos I've seen: http://britishfood.about.com/od/diningdrinkingtradition/a/marmitevvegemite.htm

And is there a preference for Original versus the XO formulation? And...is it carried whilst traveling, as I've read? I gather refrigeration is not required?

Best,

Dan. (...who is learning the proper terms for mudguards (fenders), tyres (tires), trousers (pants), and now...Marmite (Vegemite in mufti?)

jimmer

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2013, 12:04:26 am »
Dear All,

Crunchy of course, the full hippy Whole Earth skins 'n all formulation. You need something to get your teeth into.

The French came up with the container, but it required the "where there's muck, there's brass" genius of the British to recycle brewery sludge as food.

I've just dipped a spoon into the household jar to compile these tasting notes.

Lip tinglingly salty; the whiff of damp leather; intense, mouth filling, umami; the merest whisper of celery; more salt; all brought together in eugustory harmony by a yeasty base note and further salt.

The XO, Guinness and Champagne yeast variants are indistinguishable from the unimprovable original, even to my highly refined, Marmite blasted, pallet.

A touring take along? Absolutely. Great for spreading, in cheese sarnies, as stock, a hot drink and road repairs.

Yours, James
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 12:48:22 am by jimmer »

rualexander

« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2013, 12:09:51 am »
Would if I could!

Hmm. French for "pot" or "vessel". That doesn't seem right with peanut butter and toast.Eek!

Ah! A spread. Not unlike Vegemite, it seems.

For those of us in the former Colonies who have never tasted Marmite...can you *describe* the taste of same? Is there anything similar to serve as a taste analog? I know Vegemite, and have tasted it. Not bad. Marmite, from what Wikipedia tell me, is similar but...saltier? It looks darker and more syrupy in the photos I've seen: http://britishfood.about.com/od/diningdrinkingtradition/a/marmitevvegemite.htm

And is there a preference for Original versus the XO formulation? And...is it carried whilst traveling, as I've read? I gather refrigeration is not required?

Best,

Dan. (...who is learning the proper terms for mudguards (fenders), tyres (tires), trousers (pants), and now...Marmite (Vegemite in mufti?)

Yes Marmite is more of a syrupy consistency than Vegemite, and whilst the fairly recent squeezy plastic jars are ok for taking on tour, they can suffer from leakage and result in a bit of a sticky situation.
I don't think there is much difference in the saltiness of them both, if anything I would say Vegemite has a stronger taste overall.
For the cycle tourist, Vegemite comes in tubes although quite hard to find in this format outside of Australia and NZ. Very handy though for squeezing directly onto crackers, oatcakes, toast, etc., without needing to use a knife.

Dan,
You can order your supplies stateside from http://www.aussieproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ROVE14 or http://www.britishdelights.com/marmite.htm although at those prices I suspect you might just stick to peanut butter and jelly!

jags

« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2013, 12:32:58 am »
i just asked the wife had we any marmite she informed me i tried it once nearly died with the taste gave it a drop kick over the garden wall into the park never to be seen or tasted again.
 ;D ;D

Andre Jute

« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2013, 01:17:32 am »
The novelist Patricia Sierra was introduced to Marmite on my discussion group ROBUST, and is now an addict, who has a standing order in for 90 American dollars' worth every month. I think that qualifies as an addiction!

Almost time for my midnight snack. I'll have toast'n'marmie, not that you've reminded me of it.

Andre Jute
Marmite puts the hair on your chest

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2013, 01:20:04 am »
Gentlepersons, All:

I do so thank you for amplifying my knowledge of things British and thanks to your efforts, I seem to be coming along in my use of the King's English.

Truly, the Forum's greatest resource is its collective membership.

Thanks to Jimmer's firsthand description, I now have a good idea what Marmite tastes like. Thanks to Rual, I know where to find it, and thanks to jags, I...well, I know to be cautious in my expectations when trying it the first time. Andre -- who can capably sell anything, has tipped the scales with his tale of Marmite-addicted 'Merkins.

I must pick up a tube! For science!

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2013, 01:32:16 am »
Dan its a JAR not a tube my god  ;D ;D ;D
SO Andre was i going about this all wrong should it have been spread on toast,
damn there was i eating it out of the JAR. :-[

Andre Jute

« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2013, 01:38:54 am »
Dan its a JAR not a tube my god  ;D ;D ;D
SO Andre was i going about this all wrong should it have been spread on toast,
damn there was i eating it out of the JAR. :-[

With a spoon? No man, that's pure salt in the wounds of lashed martyrs. To start with you want a thin spread on thick toast with butter or your fave lowcholnocal spread.

The purpose of Marmite, besides separating the men from the boys, is to bring out the flavour of other foods. For instance, banana and Marmite makes a brilliant sandwich filling.

Andre Jute

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2013, 01:44:22 am »
Has anyone tried Australian Violet Crumbles? ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violet_Crumble ) I was addicted for a time when several local stores carried them, along with Arnott's biscuits ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnott's_Biscuits_Holdings ), also from Down Under. Sadly, my stores no longer carry them. Withdrawal was prolonged and terrible.

Do you have V8 Juice in the UK or EU? It is a canned drink (small cans, that make terrific compact meths stoves) popular on this side of the Pond. The flavor is largely tomato juice, but with a variety of other vegetables mixed in as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V8_(beverage)

Marmite and bananas as sandwich filling?...Andre! This is torture, neat. I *must* get some....

All the best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2013, 03:05:53 am »
The nearest thing to a Violet Crumble over here is a Crunchie. But thanks for the idea. I can get Australian Capricorn Liquorice locally at Mr Simms Olde Sweet Shoppe, and I wouldn't be surprised if they can also source Violet Crumble.

Australians have a knack for sweet (candy) names. Lollygobble Blissbombs, anyone?

Andre Jute

il padrone

« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2013, 04:09:08 am »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2013, 06:22:56 am »
Vegemite http://www.about-australia-shop.com/vegemite.htm
Thanks for that, Pete!

Best,