Author Topic: Any long-term users of Shimano Shadow mechs (rear derailleurs)?  (Read 5174 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Any long-term users of Shimano Shadow mechs (rear derailleurs)?
« on: November 20, 2011, 03:57:27 am »
Hi All,

My Sherpa came equipped with the more traditional 9-sp Shimano Deore RD-M591 SGS top-normal rear derailleur, and I'm pleased with it.  It shifts accurately and precisely, and the double pivots do a great job of tracking the cassette teeth.  I think it is a good value and should prove reliable.

I do see Shimano have a "Shadow" version of the derailleur in several trim levels (see:  http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-slx-rd-m662-shadow-top-normal-rear-derailleur-sgs-long-cage-prod17754/  for an example).  It dispenses with the upper pivot spring and is therefore narrower, with the mech tucked under the cassette, largely inside the QR skewer nut.  It is directly actuated, so there is no reverse loop of cable housing to swing outward and catch on trail brush, and it appears the frame's hanger would be less vulnerable to bending in a fall or during shipping so long as the derailleur is in anything other than the top several cogs.  This last has some real appeal to me, as it would remove a major concern in air shipment and save the time I usually spend in removing the mech and zip-tying it alongside the bottom of the chainstay to prevent damage when boxed and in transit.

So far as I can determine, the only real drawback to the Shadow design is an unusually strong cage spring that can make wheel removal and replacement difficult. 

Has anyone on the Forum had some extended experience with the Shadow mechs and if so, how do you like the design compared to the more traditional offerings?  I'm most interested in reports on function and durability compared to the conventional Shimano offerings.

Thanks in advance,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Any long-term users of Shimano Shadow mechs (rear derailleurs)?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 01:56:09 am »
Hi All,

An update for those who have contacted me by email to ask...perhaps it will help others in need of a new rear derailleur for their Thorn...

I found a great deal on a new Deore Shadow SGS 9-sp rear derailleur and took the plunge.  I installed it last evening, and am very pleased so far.  In fact, it appears to have addressed all the drawbacks I've experienced with the original-style, double-sprung slant-parallelogram derailleur mechs and I'm happy at this point. 

The Deore Shadow has no upper tension spring, and the derailleur is actuated via an extension of the back-side parallelogram instead of collapsing the plates diagonally on conventional designs.  As such, it snuggles in very closely to the frame's derailleur hanger, and hides within the outline of the hub's QR nut in all but the top 2 or 3 cogs, making it much less vulnerable to damage in a fall-over or in packing and transport (it would be ideal for air travel; just shift onto cogs 1-7 and you wouldn't have to remove it when boxing the bike).  Because there is no upper tension spring, the derailleur does not bounce on rutted roads or off-road and so remains silent.  Wheel changes are nearly as quick and easy as on the front, and in the event of a heavy bashing, it appears the aluminim upper hanger would distort before the frame's derailleur tab, which is nice.  The parallelogram spring is exposed and incredibly easy to clean, unlike on a conventional derailleur, where the parallelogram forms a box for dirt to enter with no room for a cleaning brush.  There is no "return loop" of cable housing to catch on roadside plants and brush, and the stop is fixed so the housing stays in the same place no matter the gear.  There is a straight shot for the cable, so it should last longer.  The only omission I can see is the absence of a tension adjuster on the derailleur body.  Instead, one must use the adjuster at the gear lever or downtube stop (as in the case of bar-cons, on my Sherpa).

Setup was easy, but as with all single-spring derailleurs (i.e. the old SunTour line), the "B" or angle-adjustment screw must be adjusted so the upper (jockey) pulley is the minimum workable distance from the teeth on the largest cassette cog.  Get that and the cable tension right, and you're set.  Once installed and adjusted properly, shifting is as good as the double-sprung Deore.  The Shadow is supposed to be able to handle a 12-36 cassette as well, and the SGS requires a minimum 32t cog.  Works fine on my 11-34 cassette and provides a full 45t of firm, no-sag wrapup using a 22/32/44t chainset.

It is kind of neat to watch the derailleur shift in the workstand.  It sort of collapses on itself and then blooms again, Transformer-like, as it runs through the gears.  I was concerned it might have less chain wrap around the smaller cogs because the body is offset to the rear.  No worries; where the conventional design uses an offset jockey pulley, the Shadow's is concentric with the spring pivot and so has the same relationship and chain-cog engagement as the original.

I will post an update after I put some heavy miles on it.  I've attached some composite photos comparing the Shadow to the conventional Deore and also showing the reach, range, and extension of the Shadow at high-low extremes mounted on my Sherpa.

One last note:  The newer, 10-sp Deore DynaSys series of derailleurs and shifters require a different amount of cable pull to actuate and so are incompatible with 9-sp equipment.  The Shadow-design rear mechs are also not interchangeable between DynaSys 10-sp and existing 9-sp.

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 09:50:31 pm »
dan just to let  you know i have the shimano xt m770  deraillers on my sherpa and tiagra9 speed sti leavers super  smooth shifting every time long may it last.
if ever i win the lottery i will go with the rohloff but until then i'll settle for the xt set up i have ;)

davefife

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 08:42:18 am »
Dan
Had a (high quality) Giant MTB in the shed yesterday, 4 years old, fitted with a shadow (and other xtr bits) for last 2 years to replace the SRAM the owner ran before.  Report was of it being faultless, I cleaned it up fitted new cable as part of the service.  Bike is used fairly hard, it does a daily 10 mile commute and regular off road sojourns in our beautiful Scottish landscape.  There was no noticable play in the pivots and jockey wheels were still good and running smooth.  I am sure you will be fault free.
cheers
Dave

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 08:49:10 am »
Thanks for the "long-term shop report", Dave; very much appreciated.  

I had the bike out yesterday, and it shifted like a dream.  The slightly stronger return spring gave a "snappier", crisper feel to the upshifts, and it is blessedly silent on rough roads, thanks to having a solid stop and no upper spring pivot.  It is the easiest derailleur I've ever used when it comes time to drop and remove the rear wheel -- tilt it back and there is nothing to interfere with a clean removal or reinstall of the wheel.  I surely love the short, straight cable run with no "return" loop to catch on brush and such.  The lack of an onboard adjuster hasn't been a problem, as I simply used the one on the downtube cable stops.

Relieved and happy; thanks Dave.   You too, jags.

Dan.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 08:52:38 am by Danneaux »