Author Topic: Change needed??  (Read 17065 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Change needed??
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2013, 06:21:29 pm »
Oh! A question, Lewis...

Are you planning to run the Ripio with a sus fork, or will you be using the Mt. Tura rigid fork?:
http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/ThornMtTuraForkHiRes.pdf
I'm guessing the sus fork given your needs, but I wanted to check to be sure.

Best,

Dan.

lewis noble

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2013, 06:51:37 pm »
Hello Dan!!  2 posts already!!  Thanks!!

Thanks for posting up the archival brochure.  That seems to confirm that the Ripio ought to suit me well.

Re child seat - As soon as they are big enough to use a tag along, or their own bike, they should do so!  Full stop! Or period as you would say I think.  So 20kg more than adequate.

And you rightly draw attention to the fork.  One of the advantages of the Ripio, as I see it, is that I can start off with what is, in reality, a pretty basic sus fork, and depending on how I go and how wrists hold up (they have been better recently) I could either go for the Tura fork and stay with rim brakes or upgrade to a better fork, depending on how riding, and what sort of cycling I do,  goes.  And whether the roads in Sheffield are mended.  Seriously, a moment's inattention, or concentrating on the traffic, and you can get a massive bang from a pothole, and I have seen too many incidents of cyclists at risk by swerving, choosing between the devil of a pothole and the deep blue sea of a car.  But back to the point . . . .

The Ripio will give me the choice of either.  I may well end up with a solid fork.

And why have my wrists been better??  Arthritis sometimes does come and go, but I recall that when I was having trouble getting the Raven Tour comfortable, I spoke to Robin Thorn about this.  He advised larger softer tyres in preference to sus forks.  And on refection, and using the retrospectoscope, I reckon he was right.  The trouble with my RT was (quite apart from the fact that I did not need a full-on expedition bike) that the frame was too long and I ran out of set up change options.  The guy who bought it has shortish legs but a long frame, and as he has pedalled it much of the way to Thailand, it must be OK for him.  Good luck to them both!  Keep at it, Phil!!  So, I 'ought' to have got a short Sherpa in 2011 rather than my Cube, but there we go . . .

So was it the posture or the sus forks that made the Cube more comfortable?? Probably a bit of both . . .

I may well get a Tura fork while I am in Bridgwater . . . .

Lewis

lewis noble

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2013, 07:25:08 pm »
Always a bad sign when the same person posts twice before anyone else . . . .

Re gear hanger - Dan describes repairing a bent hanger, presumably on a steel frame??  Whereas on supposedly 'updated' materials, they cannot be bent back in this way??

Another advantage for steel, then . . . .

lewis

Andybg

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2013, 07:41:12 pm »
Yes for an advantage to steel but most modern materials get round this common problem by having replacable hangers which may even be a better solution than bending back steel.

Andy - who has had a few bent hangers staightened and the fun of trying to touch up the paintwrk which gets burnt off in the process

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2013, 08:13:54 pm »
I was having trouble getting the Raven Tour comfortable, I spoke to Robin Thorn about this.  He advised larger softer tyres in preference to sus forks.
Lewis,

Have you given some thought to going the same route as Andre, and fitting some of Schwalbe's widest balloon tires? At first -- I'll admit -- I had some trouble fully appreciating their virtues, but in time, with Andre's patient mentoring and some extensive research, I am coming to appreciate their merits. The Ripio with sus fork and perhaps the Mt. Tura should have clearance, and the wider (widest!) tires would be far more ehm, "fault tolerant" of road shortcomings, would require less pressure (having the effect of a rising-rate air spring), and a wider but shorter profile, this last going far to reduce rolling resistance for the width and also increasing lateral security.

Along with the tires, I'm thinking an arc or Jones or Hebie adjustable 'bar to get a bit more relaxed wrist position might help prevent a re-aggravation of your condition. After so many years on narrow, high-pressure tires on gravel logging roads and fire trails, my own hands are beginning to feel the grind on my beloved rando bike, making the 26x2.0 low-pressure Duremes on the Nomad ever more appealing.

All the best,

Dan. (...who loves problems like this, but wishes they weren't problems for those they affect)

lewis noble

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2013, 08:29:54 pm »
Thanks Andy and Dan

Yes, you are right to mention Andre's solutions.  The Ripio will give me all those options: -  to stay as it is, to go rigid with the Tura fork and the widest tyres I can fit, or upgrade the fork.  Getting a disc brake will of course require more cost in revision of the lever arrangements (currently a combo of gear and cable brake lever are fitted - I've always preferred separate units for this reason) but if the rim brakes work well I will stick with that. 

The most important thing is to see how I get on, and sort it out from there, and the Thorn gives me the flexibility to do just that.

The more I think about it, the more this bike will suit me.  The frame may be on the small side (I am 5'8"" tall) but I like a 'tight' frame and I hope it will be OK.  I reckon so. 

Switching off computer soon  . . . .

Best wishes everybody

Lewis

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2013, 08:33:36 pm »
Switching off computer soon  . . .
No worries, Lewis; let us know how you get on with things. I think a ready solution awaits you here, your thinking seems to be right on-track toward meeting your needs, and you'll likely find what you're seeking in the Ripio once it is set up for your needs.

And, of course, if you wish to explore options further, give a shout; we're all just a keystroke away and full of opinions!

All the best,

Dan.

lewis noble

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2013, 10:21:33 pm »
Full of opinions? DEFINITELY!!  But all worth taking note of and based on a lot of experience . . . .

Computer going off NOW . . . .

lewis noble

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2013, 11:58:28 pm »
Well, I have been to Bridgwater and bought the Ripio - with the Mt Tura fork as well, which is now fitted.  Brilliant.

Only just got home, so further posts later.  First impressions - brilliant.

lewis

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2013, 01:03:18 am »
Oh! How exciting, Lewis! Congratulations!

I do so hope this will fill the bill for you in terms of meeting all your needs.

Remember...if it does not at first, it is indeed a brilliant platform for modification and fine-tuning to your needs. You've a whole world of choice awaiting you, from fat, low-pressure tires to a variety of sus-forks, handlebars, stems, and brake types.

The world (in bicycle terms, anyway) awaits!

All the best,

Dan. (...who is always pleased as can be when a Thorn-bike finds a new home)

lewis noble

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2013, 12:03:06 am »
OK - writing this on my wife's tablet thing, not keen on it, I cannot see the screen clearly . . . First impressions of the Ripio, with the Mt Tura fork fitted at SJSC, a lovely firm, secure ride, instead of the rather jittery ride on many hybrids I have tried.  Good, positive brakes, not quite as good as the discs on my Cube Acid perhaps, but much easier to maintain..

But what surprised me was the high gearing as set up, which living in a hilly city is not too good.

So I plan to alter the gearing, currently 26 / 36 / 48 rings, to something that gives me 'smaller' gears at the bottom end.  my Cube had a 24 cog small chain ring, and I got used to that and the associated range.

I am undecided as to whether to just change the rings (on the existing FSA Alpha Drive chain set) or upgrade to a better chainset, keeping the FSA for an old Specialized I am rebuilding. I am tempted to upgrade to a Deore chainset or similar.  And whether to go for a 22 or 24 smallest ring.  What a difference a few teeth makes!!

I would like to be able to carry / haul 'shopping' loads over short distances, and my favourite rides are in hilly country so I suppose the lower the better.

So, work in progress - but a beautiful bike.

Lewis - who hopes to be back on his own laptop before long . . . . .. .

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2013, 12:51:40 am »
Hi Lewis!

Your tablet experience mirrors my own; no typos, though, so you're doing much better than I did! 'Thought one might do for tour use, but nah, I need a keyboard for writing. I did find the tablet okay for consuming content, just not for creating it at production levels, and it was hard to hold and type on without a table. The glossy screen didn't help much outdoors, either. Found what I needed in a netbook with nonglare screen.

As for the gearing, I would suggest considering a 44/32/22 Deore chainset. One came on Sherpa, and I selected the same crank again for the Nomad and have been very pleased both times, though it is only fair to warn you that Shimano's external-bearing BBs are generally much shorter-lived than an internal-bearing unit. I did budget for a Phil Wood bottom bracket for when the Shimano wears out. My plan is to use the original BB on my next tour, then switch to the Phil on my return. The Phil unit has a reputation for long life and is the subject of many good reviews over at the MTBR forum.

If you do go the route of a new crankset with 44/32/22 gearing and wish to avoid HollowTech external-bearing BBs, there is an alternative at a very reasonable price: Shimano make a very similar looking crank in the Alivio, which pairs nicely with a UN-55 sealed BB. This model is surprisingly good, shares the same BCD/PCD as the Deore, looks much the same, and is the go-to replacement crankset for many in The Netherlands who want to replace an external-BB Deore HollowTech II. The model to consider is the square-taper version of the Alivio, as the Octalink version can be problematic: http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Alivio-Mountain-Bicycle-Crankset/dp/B00485OLT4 Not the "best" of chainsets, but a very nice-looking, entirely serviceable one for very little cost that will give years of good service. You might say it punches above its weight class. It does come with the economy of steel 'rings, but they are replaceable and would last a good long time on their own. Just a thought at the lower-end of the price spectrum if you hadn't thought about it.

My thinking, Lewis, is that an entire chainset (crankarms and three 'rings) can be had for little more than the three chainrings, and if purchases in square-taper, might well fit your existing BB and pretty much eliminates any concerns about untimely BB wear.

If you do replace the chainset, then you'll have a nice selection of low gears to meet your needs, and can always shift up to the middle or high 'rings as speedful needs demand.

Lewis, one of the most valuable realizations I came to was a realistic assessment of my gearing needs. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've actually used a gear above 82 gear-inches, so I decided to set ~80 gear-inches as the maximum on my Rohloff-equipped Nomad, allowing me to shift the whole range downward, picking up two really useful gears even lower than my usual 19 -- a 17" and a 15". While the process isn't quite so straghtforward with derailleur gearing, I can tell you I never once regretted the 44/32/22 chainset on Sherpa and went through three cassettes before happily settling on my 12-36 as ideal, giving me gearing very close to what I now enjoy on the Nomad. I had a realistically low set of high gears, and this helped me achieve the really low-end gears I needed. It was such a joy to be able to climb hills in my 3rd from lowest gearing combo unladen, knowing I has one or two more as "bail-out" options if needed when loaded. I so admire riders like Jawine who really can and do pull very high gears, but alas, that's not for me. I can substitute a fast, light cadence with lower gears and keep the warranty intact on some formerly damaged knees.

Just a few thoughts to consider. Others will be along shortly with good ideas of their own; somewhere among them something may touch a chord to help you with your decision.

All the best,

Dan.

Andybg

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2013, 12:15:34 pm »
No much to add Dan although I will put in a vote for the Stroglight Impact chainset if you can find it built up with your preferred gearing at a good price. Mine is surviving beyond expectation and I think Jags is happy with his

Andy

lewis noble

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2013, 11:46:23 am »
Thanks Dan and Andy - All your comments welcomed and noted.  At present, I cannot change the rings / sets myself - hoping to learn to do so on an old frame my brother is giving me - so I will take Ripio to my trusted Local Bike Shop, who has looked after me and my family well over the years.

I am tempted to go for 22 as the smallest, on the basis that I am likely to regret insufficient low gears much more often than insufficient high ones - as Dan's experience confirms!  In shopping around for a new bnike, after the Cube Acid was stolen, I got lots of interesting comments . . . .

'Hollowtech cranks - brilliant . . . . '

'You need big gears to maintain control downhill - you cannot keep control if you are not pedalling . . . . ' - not my experience at all

'Rim brakes are terribly outdated . . . .' - but can be fixed easily with small tools instead of a bleeding kit . . . .

Once I get the gearing sorted out, I will post some of these comments for everyone's delight . . . .

lewis noble

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2013, 04:28:00 pm »
I am going for the 44/32/22 Deore set up - that will give me all I need to slog up long hills, and I will will only very rarely 'run-out' a 44 - 11 combination!!

I note the comments re the bearings on the standard Deore set up, but I will be fine with that, I reckon - I have never done enough real heavy weather / mud riding to cause that much of a problem, and so am going for a set that friends have used successfully.  So waiting for the LBS to fit me up!!  One day I'll get the tools and learn how to do it myself . . .

All being well, some rides in Snowdonia next weekend . . . .

Thanks for comments . . . .

Lewis