Author Topic: Help New second hand thorn and struggling  (Read 3479 times)

Martin

Help New second hand thorn and struggling
« on: May 20, 2011, 12:11:43 am »
Hi sorry if I sound a little stupid to adjust the eccentric BB on the Thorn do I first need to loosen the big screws on the bottom of the BB and then move the BB round to get the right tension?

cake

Re: Help New second hand thorn and struggling
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 06:47:51 am »
Martin, don't worry about thinking a question is stupid, just ask - if you don't know, you don't know.

You do indeed loosen the two screws / bolts on the underside of the frame. The whole eccentric then rotates (quite easily) and changes the position of the crank allowing you to adjust the chain tension. 

You then tighten the screws back up when you are satisfied (don't over tension the chain - a bit of slack is desirable as is noted in many other posts on the forum) with the tension, making sure that the eccentric is aligned in the frame properly i.e. not sticking out either side.

The screws are pointed and make indentations in the softer material of the eccentric, these can be used again and again when you fit a new chain in the future and adjust at the same time.  You can see the indents through the holes where the screws locate if the bike is upside down.  In fact, if you can turn the bike upside down, i would undo one bolt and remove it completely and have a look.  It'll help you understand what is going on.

Not explained very well technically, i'm sure others will contribute, but basically after you've done it a couple of times you'll find it a breeze!

Oh, and check the screws remain tight every now and again (with your fingers), they can come loose if, like me, you would rather not tighten them too much for fear of damaging the ebb!

Cheers!

Gary.

Martin

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 06:54:50 am »
Hi Gary

Thank you for that quick reply.

I bought the bike this week and the whole BB is loose and moving around< i thought that something was missing but clearly its just the BB screws are loose.

Thanks for your help.

Martin

Fred A-M

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 09:05:31 am »
Martin

Firstly, congratulations on your new purchase - was it an RST?

Once you've realigned the EBB, make sure that you tighten the bolts reasonably well and keep an eye on the screws to make sure they don't come loose.  I'd advise applying loctite to the bolts as they are otherwise prone to working loose - as happened to me this week after tensioning the chain - so am right this minute going to follow my own advice! 

Fred

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 01:21:27 pm »
There's a big hole in the side of the EBB. I stick an Allen wrench in there & then pull the arm of the wrench up against the crank spindle. That gives me purchase on the EBB to turn it one way or the other.

Martin

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 03:01:47 pm »
Thanks for all the help guys, appreciated

Martin

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 11:03:00 pm »
All fixed and running smooth