Author Topic: Kickstands again  (Read 9716 times)

diliff

Kickstands again
« on: February 09, 2011, 10:36:54 am »
Hi guys,

I noticed that there was already a thread on kickstands, but it didn't seem to really go anywhere, so I thought I might try again.

Let me start by saying that I'm aware that fitting a kickstand invalidates the frame warranty, but has anyone gone and fitted one anyway? I find that I really miss having one and if others have been able to use one successfully and without breaking the frame, I'm tempted to go ahead and try. I've got a Thorn Raven Tour. Either single or double legged kickstands would be useful.

I was wondering if inserting some hard rubber between the chainstays and the kickstand plate might minimise the chance of the chainstays being crushed? It would have to be tough rubber, and sticky enough that it didn't shift under a bit of load, I'd imagine.

Any personal experiences or suggestions welcome.

bobs

Re: Kickstands again
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 12:13:32 pm »
I don't think that it is all kickstands, only the ones clamped under the bottom bracket. I have an ESGE which fits the rear stays and works great.

Bob

peddles

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 01:41:04 pm »
Where does it say that fitting a stand invalidates the frame warranty, I don't recall seeing it and Thorn fitted a Hebie centre stand to my Raven before I took delivery.  I hope I'm not missing something!  I guess some may think of them as a bit naff and a waste of weight but I like not having to lean my bike against something or lie it down.

patmottram

• Pedalling About
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 02:44:00 pm »
We ordered our 2 thorn nomads last week  :) and was advised by the sales rep not to go for the kick stand as it would invalidate the frame warranty - due to possibility of rust entering the frame through the drill holes.   Not sure how much is scaremongering or something to be concerned about - shame as quite like the idea of not having to lean up against a wall all the time.

Thinking about the click stands that other people seem to recommend but not sure how much I'd use it as seems a bit of pain to assemble each time. 

cake

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 08:16:58 am »
I use a clickstand and it works superbly - I hold it by one end, drop the rest and the elastic cord (the same sort of stuff that is used in fleeces, ruck sacks etc.) does the rest.  It is a one handed job which is handy.  This may be because it is well used though.

I know i've never thought "bloody thing", and would certainly get another one should this one ever fail.  When it's folded up its sits on my rack between bungees.

Combined with the brake lever elastic jobs, the bike is as solid as a rock - i really do use it every time i either go out on the thing or i'm doing some rare maintenance.

diliff

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 10:43:52 am »
Where does it say that fitting a stand invalidates the frame warranty, I don't recall seeing it and Thorn fitted a Hebie centre stand to my Raven before I took delivery.  I hope I'm not missing something!  I guess some may think of them as a bit naff and a waste of weight but I like not having to lean my bike against something or lie it down.

Good to know.. How is the Hebie centre stand working out for you? Have you tried using it with a decent touring load? Does it seem to hold it steady? If you have a photo of it I'd love to see it.

peddles

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 01:19:01 pm »
I wouldn't be without it, though I've never had the bike fully loaded and don't think it's of a type that would remain stable under those conditions.  However, under normal circumstances it has been faultless.  Sorry no pic's at the moment.

spooley

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 12:00:19 pm »
Another vote for the Click-Stand, http://www.click-stand.com/.

Works very nicely on my Raven Tour.

Simon.

il padrone

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 02:10:02 am »
We ordered our 2 thorn nomads last week  :) and was advised by the sales rep not to go for the kick stand as it would invalidate the frame warranty - due to possibility of rust entering the frame through the drill holes. 
What drill holes  :o ???

I would definitely not fit any stand that involved drilling holes in my frame. I have been using a rear-mounted kickstand for the past 7-8 years on my bike. The new Thorn Nomad now has a rear-mounted Pletscher stand, very nice to keep my bike standing happily virtually anywhere, even when fully loaded with camping gear or shopping.

mylesau

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 09:42:01 am »
When I purchased my Raven Nomad (16 Months ago) I specifically asked about kickstands.  The below was my question and the reply:

ME: Is there any kickstands that are acceptable on the Raven Nomad - I've read a few comments around that suggest that they may void warranty?

THORN: if the frame fails in the region where the stand is fiited then yes, warranty is void. The bike may fall over when the stand is in use and this may damage the frame. If you really want one then we recommend http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Hebie-Hebie-Bipod-Steel-Centre-Stand-0605-HBP1--Black-18779.htm

I use a Click-Stand.

onebikeoneworld

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 01:45:42 am »
Another happy Click-Stand user here, it's a wonderful thing!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 03:58:12 am »
+1 on Click-Stand for me; exceeds all expectations and Tom Nostrant is a great guy to deal with.  You can't go wrong.  When the thing arrives, it looks like Christmas, all done up with a (metaphorical) bow.  Handmade and a class-act in presentation and finish.   Best of all?  It cut solo-loading of my touring bike from a 20-minute operation to only 5, all-up.  Can't beat it for daybreak starts.  Besides, it lets me rig my clothesline between bike and tent or rig the tent sans stakes, using the bike at one end and a pannier as deadman at the other.  It is extremely stable, even with a full touring load.  Best thing I can say is I wish I'd thought of it and executed it as well.

Best,

Dan.

AndrewC

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 08:44:54 am »
Another thumbsup for the Click Stand.    I broke my first one,  used it on very soft turf and it sunk in, snapping 1 section. When I asked Tom for a replacement section he sent me an entire new stand, _free_,  and a wider rubber foot.

revelo

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 01:44:49 am »
If you really want a kickstand but are worried about frame damage, then the click-stand is a good substitute. But they can break if misused, as the prior post notes, even the heavier max version. Assuming you use the center-bracket mount attached to water-bottle bosses, removing the click-stand from the bracket and setting it up takes under 5 seconds, and similar for stowing it away again, so it's almost as convenient as a kick-stand. The brake-bands supplied with the click-stand are flimsy. In particular, the plastic gizmo (zipper tab) tends to pull open. I replaced with 3/16" shock-cord (heavier than the click-stand brake bands, which are 1/8" shock-cord) tied into a loop with a fisherman's knot. 

After playing around with a click-stand max for a while, I decided that both it and regular kick-stands are a bad idea, because of the damage that can be done to a bike if it falls. Also, neither the click-stand nor kick-stands will work in soft ground, regardless of how fat a rubber foot you put on the end, and soft ground is all that is available to me when away from civilization. Simpler, safer and saves on weight to just lay the bike down on the ground if I can't find something secure to lean it against.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 02:09:12 am »
I have found the Click-Stand needs only an available rock to keep it from sinking in soft soil.  Lacking that, almost any object can be put to use to spread the pressure of the tip to prevent sinking.  I have sometimes kept the lid from an aluminum can in my handlebar bag for that purpose, and it has worked well on the rare occasions when nothing native was present.

Having always laid the bike on its side in the past, it is surely nice to no longer have to.  Saves wear and tear on the bags and keeps the lot much cleaner and more waterproof in my experience.

Best,

Dan.