Author Topic: Cables connected the wrong way round (14=1, 1=14)  (Read 2811 times)

alcyst

• Apistos Leander
Cables connected the wrong way round (14=1, 1=14)
« on: January 01, 2011, 06:52:44 pm »
More curiosity than anything.

After changing a puncture I discovered I had the gear cables wrong way round so my gears were reversed. Once I worked out what was happening it was no big deal. The i-dont-care-what-gear-I'm-in brigade could live forever like that! Does it create any problems? Do crossed wires potentially wear out faster?

Andre Jute

Re: Cables connected the wrong way round (14=1, 1=14)
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 10:49:24 pm »
Unless there is something I missed about the workings of the mechanism, the Rohloff gearbox with its twin pull-pull cables is ideal for operating the cables in either direction. You can't read the black on black gear indicator anyhow.

Kids, DON'T try this at home on Daddy's derailleur bike -- it works ONLY on the Rohloff.

BTW, the Thorn has a superb cable run. On my Utopia Kranich the cables actually cross over in the change from being side by side to being one above the other. It has no adverse effect but is just a small aesthetic detail. (I'm sure Andy Blance is smirking and saying, Function, mate, I dinna do it for the appearance! Cheers in the New Year, Andy, and thanks for letting me read you to discover the best value components.)

André Jute

expr

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 06:51:28 pm »
Everything should be ok unless the two inner cables are crossing each other and rubbing, in which case this could cause problems.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 10:00:28 am »
I have not tried it, but everything should be fine.  

However... The straighter the cable run the longer the internal cable will last in the hub.  If the cables enter the hub at an angle then the internal cable might possibly rub on the entrance tubes and eventually fray.

The same is true of the main cables as they pass through the adjusting screws

« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 01:39:36 pm by stutho »

alcyst

• Apistos Leander
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 11:27:18 am »
Once I worked out what was happening (about 3 mins & a few gear changes) I was ready to correct it, which I did at the coffee stop.

nicknoxx

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 04:36:08 pm »
I've run a Rohloff with 'crossed' cables for years. It seems more natural to me as a motorbike rider to twist the grip towards me to go faster.