Author Topic: no cycling for 10 days - this weather  (Read 3766 times)

davefife

no cycling for 10 days - this weather
« on: December 13, 2010, 09:40:17 am »
how long for others?  we now have melt/freeze/melt/freeze going on, with still piles of snow narrowing roads down to a car width, did an asda shop on the RST 10 days ago.

Neil Jones

Re: no cycling for 10 days - this weather
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 09:56:40 am »
Got on my bike for the first time in seven weeks after suffering a broken collar bone, great to be back in the saddle again but the forecasters are promising more snow at the end of the week. On the plus side I'm in the final stages of deciding on the spec of my RST which I'm ordering this week. 

julk

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 04:36:16 pm »
Two weeks now in Dalkeith, just SE of Edinburgh without a bike ride.

I have measured 29" of fresh snowfall here over the first week or so and I did not start measuring until after the first snowfall.

We had a digger round on Saturday and can now get a 'normal' car out, previously only the 4 wheel drive brigade were getting through. I could go riding now but the roads are narrowed with heaps of snow each side and are full of frustrated car drivers - not a good mix.

I may have to get the rollers out soon.

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 06:05:34 pm »
We don't get deep snow, though for a flash fall my little town made the national news, but I live on a hill and the tiniest little patch of black ice on the path under the trees in the park and you're gone. My wife fell in the supermarket parking lot, on the flat, on her feet. No harm but I took a hint from on high. Also, a couple of years ago I had a lucky escape on black ice on a hill. I managed to get my feet on the road and my bike and I just slid backwards to where we could get purchase, and then I turned around and went home. But that little patch of black ice shortly put a bolshie motorist -- I stopped him to warn him and he shot off in a huff that anyone should question his driving skills -- in hospital, with a large Audi totalled.

Here's the kicker: After about three weeks inside, going stir crazy, I got around town this afternoon on my bike. Quite balmy, with clean dry roads. I got so hot in my normal gear for this season, I'm now sitting in my studio with the window open and wearing only a brushed cotton shirt... (Hello from Brisbane or Durban or Rio! Ireland in winter? Where's that?)

Andre Jute
Desert-born

Paulson

• My Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 07:21:41 pm »
After the thaw last week I cycled thurs, fri and sat, enjoying it more and more as the ice melted!

brummie

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 08:09:54 pm »
Thanks to having a set of Schwalbe Marathon studded winter tyres I've been able to keep riding my 100 mile-a-week commute through the snow & ice - luckily mostly traffic free.. though the tyres are fitted to the fixie which combined with snow has made the climbs awfully hard... look forward to getting the RST back on the road.

davefife

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 02:24:50 pm »
I have resumed my mid winter spinning (they call it rpm now!) at the local leisure centre, keeps me happy ;D

Bearbait

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 10:35:13 pm »
Recliner bike while playing xbox.  Let it snow.