Author Topic: Which tent?  (Read 9147 times)

FLV

Which tent?
« on: April 24, 2010, 01:51:32 pm »
Another q then...

Given the choice i have, which tent for a trip to some high mountain ranges for 3-4 weeks?

1 man, 2-3 season, 1.35kg mostly mech inner, bigish gap under the fly, 5 min piching max, a bit cramped (msr hubba)
2 man 4 season, 2.8kg , fly good and close to the ground, 10min pitching max, plenty room (crux x2)

piccie..

Fred A-M

Re: Which tent?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 02:24:41 pm »
Hi FLV 

If you're doing serious hills or mountain ranges, I'd suggest the first cause every kilo counts in my opinion.

However, not much fun trying to co-ordinate the emptied contents of your panniers in a one man tent or if you want to avert that coffin feeling, so on that basis the 2nd.

If you want any degree of comfort I'd suggest something in between, you could do worse than the Hilleberg Nallo (quality 2 person tent weighing 2Kg approx) or a cheaper equivalent (they do exist). 

PH

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 05:21:16 pm »
If you're going to be camping high and wild, then the Crux is an out and out mountain tent that you could be sure to rely on.  I have a preference for geodesic designs anyway, a flapping tent tends to keep me awake, even if it's the flapping Hilleberg a few meters away!  If your camping is low level or where you'll find a bit of shelter, then I might be tempted to save the weight and use the MSR.  Though nothing spoils a days cycling more for me than being really tired, so whichever you take don't compromise your comfort too much.

FLV

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 07:25:59 pm »
just had a look over both tents. The crux has a tear in the door at the zip and 2 cracks in the poles. So that ones out till it gets repaired!

perhaps an excuse to buy another tent!!!

I like geo tents too due to the stability. My major bug bear with the msr is in high winds the side dont touch the ground and if feels like being in a wind tunnel  :-\

The nallo dosnt look very stable, saying that I bet it is good though

FLV

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 07:27:48 pm »
I suppose neither of them are ideal for wild camping...being yellow

rualexander

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 07:49:10 pm »

The nallo dosnt look very stable, saying that I bet it is good though

As long as its pegged out properly it will be very stable and strong. Check out this video, and remember thats with the door open : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73KKZDhoj_0

FLV

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 07:59:47 pm »
Nice, looks like it would stand up well after all  :)

I think i'll lok into getting my crux repaired too though. It is ace in bad weather, a little bright in the morning though...

bet that hilleberg costs a few quid mind...
I thought of one of these from mtn equipment too
http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/showPart.asp?part=PN30652

Fred A-M

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 01:26:32 pm »
There's seems to be some unfounded negativity about the Hilleberg Nallo here - I've yet to come across a Hilleberg owner saying anything negative about their tents (or their stability) but I guess there's always a first time.  Pricey, yes, but undoubted quality, more than adequate for any of the below mentioned needs, and certainly better suited than the Crux given the near 1Kg weight saving.  Unless you're intending to spend all your time on exposed mountain tops in hostile climates, I think anything more "stable" (but certainly heavier) is probably unwarranted.  But I said, plenty of cheaper alternatives. 

PH

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 04:08:37 pm »
There's seems to be some unfounded negativity about the Hilleberg Nallo here

??? From me?
I was pointing out that a geodesic tent is less flappy then a non geo ... however much money you spend on it. That's a matter of physics rather than opinion, do you not agree?
Maybe my post was tinged with the annoyance of hearing that the answer is always a Hiileberg, even when the question starts with
Given the choice i have
and involves a choice between a Crux and a MSR, both well regarded tent makers.  The idea that;
If you want any degree of comfort I'd suggest something in between
is laughable, do you really think that people using Crux or MSR tents don't have any degree of comfort?

The stability issue is less clear cut, a geo is more rigid, though in extreme weather a tunnel is likely to stay up longer.  I've seen tunnel tents blown down flat and spring up again, where a geo is likely keep it's shape right up till the moment it goes.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 04:20:14 pm by PH »

FLV

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 10:06:27 am »
just had a look over both tents. The crux has a tear in the door at the zip and 2 cracks in the poles. So that ones out till it gets repaired!

Update: Crux are fixing the tent FOC. Amazing!!!

Fred A-M

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 11:11:32 am »
PH

Yours is an opinion that I usually respect, so I am somewhat surprised at your apparent irrational "annoyance" with the mention of Hilleberg (which i hasten to add is your issue, no one else's).

Practically and personally speaking, I would choose the Hilleberg Nallo for the reasons that i initially outlined, essentially that of weight space ratio and intended purpose, over the Crux and MSR.  At no point did I imply that the latter were bad or inferior tents, simply that I would opt for something inbetween ref space and weight ratio given the intended purpose as outlined by FLV.   

My comment about comfort relates to the MSR which FLV admits is "cramped" and I'm not sure whether FLV has tried unpacking a full pannier set within it as yet.   I'd consider the Crux less than ideal if a lot of mountain climbs involved, weightwise, but again that is my personal opinion.

At no point did I imply that the Nallo was "THE" answer, as you seem to infer, but simply a compromise option against which there are also many cheaper alternatives.

FLV

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 01:12:51 pm »
So.....

My MSR hubba, by my own admission is a little cramped with a load of gear in it. Nope, never had full pannier emptied out into one either.
The Crux, a pretty good size I guess. But perhaps has some extra weight.

The next question is, what are these cheaper alternatives to the Nallo you speak of...?

Fred A-M

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 04:00:41 pm »
Terra Nova Voyager Tent springs to mind, £300 approx, though I happily admit to being no expert outside of my own experience, that of the Nallo.  Plenty of people seem happy with the Voyager though.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/reviews/tents/two-person/terra-nova-voyager/3111.html

john28july

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 04:19:33 pm »
Hello
For what its worth in my opinion as much as it grieves me to say, on this occasion Fred AM has a valid point. I use Hilleberg Soulo, Vaude Taurus Ultralight and an Hilleberg Akto. After many Years of searching for the best tent, it happens that what suits one person may not suit another. But hey-thats life!
John.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 10:10:00 am by john28july »

FLV

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 04:46:05 pm »
I've seen the voyager before, interesting tent but at 2.27 kg packaged vs my crux at 2.85 packaged and £300 it seems steep for not that much advantage to be honest. I thought perhaps something in the £150 regeon would be worth spending and having an 'inbetween' tent.
Any others to consider?