Author Topic: Bike transport across the states  (Read 2601 times)

spoon boy

Bike transport across the states
« on: February 09, 2009, 09:50:47 pm »
I have a friend..honest

who has been through the visa process for the U.S.A. and will be flying out to south dakota for a tour for 6 months, why there only god knows.

Because he will be flying to rapid city it means a one stop at minniapolis.

Now the question

He has been quoted by KLM 150 euro's for the bike to travel with him

I said I'd ask in here if anyone knew a cheaper way to send the bike across the atlantic

rualexander

Re: Bike transport across the states
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 11:15:30 pm »
Seems a bit expensive. I haven't flown transatlantic for a few years but most airlines used to consider a bike as one of your allowed two pieces of check-in luggage, each of which could be up to 32kg in weight. Remember that flights to and from North America use the 2 pieces system rather than the 20kg system that most other international flights use. So you could have your bike as one piece and a large bag of some kind with all your panniers and other luggage in it as your other piece.
Things may have changed in the last couple of years though with the general tightening up of baggage allowances. Best to check with a wide range of airlines.
I doubt if any other method (excess baggage companies, shipping companies, parcel companies, etc) would be any cheaper than he has been quoted already.

spoon boy

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 09:31:15 am »
I have started a charity collection for his hair, after watching him email klm and getting several different answers he will need that collection.

The last one mentioned the 2 piece situation that you mentioned rual.

however they have intepreted the bike as sports equipment which they have said is outside of the usual size for normal luggage thats where the 150 euro charge comes in. even though he pointed out the bike and luggage combined will come within the total weight limit.

Klm also advise using thier own box but he is going to use the ctc palstic bag which they said yes but it's at your own risk.

He's going to try and ring them today and get a human to give a human answer

pdamm

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 09:35:35 pm »
Spoon Boy

A few years ago, before all this extra attention to baggage weight, we were asked to pay several hundred $ for excess baggage to fly our two bikes home from South Africa to Australia.  In the course of the negotiations we were told that it might have been cheaper if we had said our bikes were professional sporting equipment.  I guess the reasoning is that professional sports people fly more often and are better value as repeat customers. 

As it happened we spent so much time negotiating over the excess baggage charges that we were the last in the check-in queue and since the flight was over booked there was no room left for us on the plane.  We were put on a later flight on another airline, our bikes came with us at no extra charge and we were given a business class upgrade for our next flight with the original carrier for our troubles.  It was such a good deal that we have thought since about offering to be the passengers bumped off an overbooked flight if we had the spare time.

Peter

spoon boy

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 10:30:44 pm »
well he spoke to an actual person..yes they exist

to the states, as mentioned, they operate on a two piece of luggage system with a single item of no more than 23kgs, sounds a lot but hey it confirms what he saw in print.

then he asked.. my bag is 14kgs but I have a bike also at 12.2 kgs how does that work? the person said it will have to go as a bulk item but as it is within your total weight limit there will be no extra cost. wohhooo but then he's been told several differences from free to 150 euro's so the acid test will be at check in

He promises to let me know