Author Topic: 26 inch wheels and??? tyres  (Read 7666 times)

spoon boy

26 inch wheels and??? tyres
« on: January 10, 2009, 10:41:50 pm »
I currently have 26 X 1.5 on the tyres

what size can I go upto on my sherpa?

bobs

Re: 26 inch wheels and??? tyres
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 11:26:22 pm »
Depends on mudguard size if fitted,  1.75 -2" is good.

jags

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 11:53:04 pm »
i had marathon plus on 1.75 i now have conti city contact 1.5. i was going to get supream's 26x2 i think they will fit no problem ,as bob sais make sure you have room on your mudguards.

ians

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 08:07:25 pm »
i now have conti city contact 1.5.

Jags - what are your thoughts on the city contacts? - they're on my list.

ian

jags

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 08:45:43 pm »
so far excellent the fear of falling is gone ,but yes im well pleased ,mind you the supreams are supposed to be better ask aj on this forum.

freddered

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 12:34:31 pm »
Why do you want bigger tyres?

If you fit 1.75 or 2" tyres then you will be have lower pressures and increased rolling resistance.

brummie

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 07:35:29 pm »
Rolling resistance will be effected by the "road surface" you're riding on ( or not ) too & the load being carried... Fatter tyres will be better off road or carrying heavy loads

freddered

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 10:54:42 pm »
Rolling resistance will be effected by the "road surface" you're riding on ( or not ) too & the load being carried... Fatter tyres will be better off road or carrying heavy loads

Agreed but 1.5" tyres are pretty big really, 38mm is a substantial touring tyre (Many people go touring on 28mm 700c tyres).

I've got 6 bikes, all with different tyres sizes and I find the best compromise the 1.5".  My Marathon 1.75" (general purpose bike) are just too sluggish unless I was considering off-road trails.

jags

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 11:35:14 pm »
agree with fred on that 559x1.5 is plenty big enough,im even considering putting slicks on my sherpa. i dont think you can get narrower than 1.5 pity.

rualexander

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 02:03:57 pm »
Quite a few brands narrower that 26x1.5 are available :

http://tinyurl.com/6tko2n

http://tinyurl.com/8qg3qp

http://tinyurl.com/8n5nxd

http://tinyurl.com/6uuja9

to name a few, must be more though.

aj

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 06:17:23 pm »
I'm running my Sherpa on 26 x 2 Marathon Supremes and find them almost perfect, they have excellent grip on wet and dry tarmac and are very comfortable easily ironing out the irregularities on the potholed local lanes. I find they roll very well and certainly find them quick enough for my needs. After using these I don't think I would want to go down to narrower tyres, I like the comfort these afford.
The only time I find the Supremes less than ideal is on loose, dry gravel, then the ride can become a little more interesting, but with a little care they still get me safely to my destination.

Adrian

spoon boy

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 07:16:22 pm »
The first part of the trip is largely european good roads and lanes so I was thinking stay on the 1.5  until about Turkey then as the roads are more "natural" I was thinking going to marathons 1.75 ?

brummie

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 07:44:56 pm »
Running smaller than 1.5" tyres will result in a harsher ride due to a combination of the smaller 'air pocket' of the tyres & the fact 26" wheels are pretty stiff ( compared to 700c) - shorter spoke lengths.
 The gearing of the bike will also be reduced due to the wheels diameter becoming smaller with smaller tyres. Your BB will also be lower !
I agree 1.5 - 1.75 is best for general cycling / touring.

PH

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 08:07:06 pm »
I was thinking going to marathons 1.75 ?

2" Marathon XRs must be the most used expedition tyre available and with good reason.  It's not brilliant at anything, it is good enough at about everything.  It's also folding so if you're planning to change on tour you could take them with you, though I wouldn't bother and just put them on to start with.  I always tour with a spare tyre anyway, though it's usually the lightest get out of trouble one I can find.

bertie_boy

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 12:42:01 pm »
Hi
First post on this forum (so hello to you all) I am nearly at a stage where I will be ordering an RST and noticed in the brochure that they do not recommend anything wider than a 1.75. I was going to go for a Marathon Plus but was a little put off by the weight. Whilst browsing around I noticed the Marathon Supreme which at half the weight of the Plus and so say same puncture resistance looks a good bet. The UK site only lists the 26x2.0" tyre, the German site lists a 26x1.6" folding tyre.
I contacted the UK importer Bohle and they said they can get these into the UK, I would have thought they would be here already if you can get them in Europe.
They said they will let me know when they arrive.