Author Topic: Load capacity for eXp and Raven Nomad  (Read 3840 times)

Phaedrus

Load capacity for eXp and Raven Nomad
« on: December 02, 2008, 06:37:31 pm »
Need your help!

I'm deciding between a Raven Nomad SS and a (potential custom) Rohloff eXp, and was wondering which of these two excellent bikes can handle the most total weight (load capacity)?  The bike needs to support a total of 350-400lbs over extended periods over varied terrain.

thank you very much for any help,
Bill

julk

Re: Load capacity for eXp and Raven Nomad
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 07:54:25 pm »
I would definitely contact the designer Andy at SJSC (01278 441500 or thorn@sjscycles.com) during the week if I had that question.

You are looking to carry an extreme load, and it will need it to be distributed around the bike. Also you will need to specify 6mm rack bosses all round and a front fork strong enough to take its share of the extreme load you are looking to carry.

Wheels/tyres will need to be specified for strength/endurance rather than weight saving.

These are probably all 'normal' for the expedition models you are looking at, but best to confirm or discuss it with the designer.

bobs

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 09:15:31 pm »
400lbs seems to be a very heavy load,  what are you taking?

Phaedrus

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 11:14:28 pm »
Bob,

I'm planning for a 5 year world tour, which will probably kick off in the middle of 2010 or early 2011.  I'm taking me who now weighs in at around 300lbs (hoping to lose major weight before the kickoff).... and need to be able in some cases to carry the appropriate gear plus carry enough water/food for 2-3 weeks (planning for worse case).  I'm not sure if I'll try to use a trailer or not, but want to be as self-sufficient as possible, and plan for worst case scenarios (to the degree necessary).

Anyway, just want the most rugged frame possible, and be able to haul the kitchen sink without being worried.  I'm assuming both bikes are up to the task, but just crossing the 'Ts' and dotting the 'Is'. 

take care,
Bill

john28july

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 09:32:18 am »
Need your help!

I'm deciding between a Raven Nomad SS and a (potential custom) Rohloff eXp, and was wondering which of these two excellent bikes can handle the most total weight (load capacity)?  The bike needs to support a total of 350-400lbs over extended periods over varied terrain.

thank you very much for any help,
Bill

Do you really think that you could carry a load of this size on any bike?
John.

jags

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 10:44:29 am »
very best of luck bill on your world tour,im sure thorn can help you out with the bike .sound's like maybe a bob trailer would be the way to go for all your gear.there's no doubt your going to loose a lot of weight on the tour,lot's of miles and different eating habbits is a great way to loose weight so why not start now,get yourself in tip top shape for your big adventure.
oh and check out all the lightweight camping gear.

Phaedrus

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 02:03:52 pm »
John,

Yes, even if I 'slim' down, I'll be around 225lbs. at around 10% bodyfat.  I have a background of track (bike) racing )in the 1980s) and power-lifting (90s through present), not a total slob (not anymore anyway).  I have ridden a century and a few weekend trips before (early '90s) in somewhat hilly country with around 70lbs. of gear, with no problems (had no idea what I was doing at the time).  But, I do get your point. 

Jags,

Believe it or not, already dropped 100lbs. over the last 6 months... I'll be slimming down to about 225 or 235lbs.  I'm totally leaned out at that weight per above.  At this point, the diet is around 1500 calories per day of mostly veg, fruit, legumes, and tubers - with minimal meat/fat.

But regardless, the question is still valid and unanswered, "which of these bikes can haul most kit and is most rugged"?  I really dig the Raven Nomad, but the eXp makes me drool even more for some reason.  But the cost differential is rather large (especially living overhere in the USA).  However, I did read an older post from a person who lives in the USA, that ordered an eXp frame (or 2) then had it shipped to PeterWhiteCycles for the build out, and saved some major coin.

take care,
Bill
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 02:06:25 pm by Phaedrus »

john28july

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 04:35:48 pm »
Hello,
Taking into consideration the fact that it is the rider and not a luggage load, I believe that a Thorn with Rohloff would fit the bill nicely. Or indeed a Sherpa with 36 spoke wheels.
John.

geocycle

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 04:57:33 pm »
According to the Thorn ad in the latest Cycle magazine the nomad and the exp are both capable of carrying a luggage load of 50kg and the raven tour 40kg.  I'm pretty confident that this is as good as you'd get with any touring bike anywhere.  I guess this capacity would depend on specifying appropriate racks and bombproof wheels.  However, before I strapped that lot to a bike for 5 years I'd want to experiment with a trailer on some short tours to see how the handling compared.  Some folks swear by them, some swear at them!

Phaedrus

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 05:26:39 pm »
Geocycle,

Thank you - excellent.  Do you know if there is a 'web' accessible version of that ad?

take care,
Bill

Phaedrus

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 05:30:52 pm »
John,

I asked Andy B. (before I posted this question to readers) about Sherpa, Raven Tour, and Raven Nomad handling my weight/plus gear (forgot to ask about eXp).  He stated the Sherpa would handle it, given the expedition wheelset (48spoke sun rhyno with XT Tandem hub), but the Raven Tour would handle it better (tubing), and the Raven Nomad better still. 

I simply didn't want to bother him again on same topic and go through the eXp and Raven Nomad (feel like an idiot).  But, perhaps I should.

Also want to state that Thorn/SJS have been very responsive in answering my questions, and even helping me refine the questions.  I'm very impressed for they have exhibited better service than I receive from several LBS!

take care,
Bill
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 07:26:30 pm by Phaedrus »

vik

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 02:26:59 pm »
My suggestion is get the Nomad S&S.  Ride it.  Validate the fact you like the size/geometry of the bike.  Validate that you like Thorn's vision of touring bikes.

Then do one of the following:

- sell it and order an EXP armed with all the subtle changes you want compared to the Nomad [you can keep all the parts and just get an EXP frame/fork]
- keep it and ride it for 20 years
- sell it and buy another brand of touring bike if you didn't love it enough to keep or make you want an EXP

Actually another option is to fly to the UK and test ride as many Thorns as they have on hand that fit you.  That would be quite useful as well and you can get a holiday in at the same time.... ;D

safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 02:29:10 pm by vik »
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com